advertisement

Pet peeves in films/tv

The German defences would have been able to lay down a lot of suppressing fire with the MG08s (Maxim) - in Private Ryan, they made the mistake of thinking that German forces only had the '42.
Mistakes are made by every side in conflicts. Just try to make the fewest.

A robbery where gold bricks are thrown around like plastic ones and a sports bag full of them is carried one handed.

Phone conversations that just end by hanging up, no "yeah ok, I'll see you there, give me a ring if anything changes. bye"

Pet peeve is having to wait too long for new European TV series to appear on Channel 4 Walter Presents.

Some of the best viewing available and so much better than all the US produced stuff. It has heart and soul, not just guns and car chases.

Propaganda. It then BECOMES history. Like Black Hawk Down, where the accepted story was of the crew saving a family. She was interviewed some time later and said they actually used them as human shields. Hollywood is the most incredible propaganda machine ever, as it is not even recognised as such so often.
You've lost me here. I have this film on Bluray and from what I recall the story is of a US military operation in Mogadishu that goes wrong; US helicoptors are shot down and the story follows various attempts to rescue the surviving crew. Unless I'm missing/forgetting something, you must be thinking of another film.

I agree about Hollywood's propensity to rewrite history.

John

You've lost me here. I have this film on Bluray and from what I recall the story is of a US military operation in Mogadishu that goes wrong; US helicoptors are shot down and the story follows various attempts to rescue the surviving crew. Unless I'm missing/forgetting something, you must be thinking of another film.
No, it was this film. I have never watched it (it never interested me), but I do remember reading the interview of the Somali woman.

I agree about Hollywood's propensity to rewrite history.

John
What is missed in that film was that it was Malaysian APCs and Pakistani tanks that fought through the streets to reach the helicopters.

Mumbling dialogue. Rampant over the last decade or more.

The vocal fry stage whisper. Literally no one talks that way in real life and you're not on stage. Speak normally you ham imbecile. Yes, you, Tom Hardy.

Inadequate lighting. It doesn't set the mood, it just looks like the lighting crew are off sick.

Ridiculous colour filtering. Just stop it. At least the fad for blue-grey seems to be receding.

Absurd action sequences in films that aren't quasi-comedies (ie James Bond, anything with Jason Statham and similar).

I think The Revenant offends on all of those counts.

The German defences would have been able to lay down a lot of suppressing fire with the MG08s (Maxim) - in Private Ryan, they made the mistake of thinking that German forces only had the '42.
Yeah technical details were off. I was referring to soldiers saying that's what it felt like (some weren't able to talk at all) after watching the film.

No, it was this film. I have never watched it (it never interested me), but I do remember reading the interview of the Somali woman.
While it may have happened in reality, there’s no scene in Black Hawk Down where US troops rescue a Somali family.

I guess you can add ‘people passing judgment on a film they’ve never seen’ is another pet peeve of mine.

Though I do get the point on films acting as propaganda. One of the most obvious examples is ‘The Green Berets’ starring John Wayne.

I vaguely remember a Police Officer describing the difference between UK Police and US Police: In the US they shout "Stop! or I'll shoot" in the UK they shout "Stop! or I'll shout Stop! again...

When I did military service we trained for guard duty. In the manual there where two possible phrases, either "Stop or I shoot!" or "Stop or I unleash the dog!". One fella got it wrong "Stop or I shoot the dog!" (possibly on purpose). Lots of laughs.

I hate when a person is shot and flies several feet away. The energy hitting the shot person can't be larger than the energy making the recoil from the shooter. Simple physics.

In American movies you only survive a car crash if you are frown out of the car. Anyone still in the car dies.

While it may have happened in reality, there’s no scene in Black Hawk Down where US troops rescue a Somali family.

I guess you can add ‘people passing judgment on a film they’ve never seen’ is another pet peeve of mine.

Though I do get the point on films acting as propaganda. One of the most obvious examples is ‘The Green Berets’ starring John Wayne.
I stand corrected. But I will try to find the interview. I just hope I don't have to watch the damned film!

Whatever historical inaccuracies there may be, Black Hawk Down is one of Ridley Scott's better films, in my opinion. Been a while since I last watched it, but I do recall a sense of 'being there', Scott bringing an intensity to the story which isn't all about bigging up the good 'ol US of A.

John

Police going to an address to arrest a suspect failing to cover the rear of the property inevitably allowing the suspect to leg it out the back.

Mumbling dialogue. Rampant over the last decade or more.

The vocal fry stage whisper. Literally no one talks that way in real life and you're not on stage. Speak normally you ham imbecile. Yes, you, Tom Hardy.

Inadequate lighting. It doesn't set the mood, it just looks like the lighting crew are off sick.

Ridiculous colour filtering. Just stop it. At least the fad for blue-grey seems to be receding.

Absurd action sequences in films that aren't quasi-comedies (ie James Bond, anything with Jason Statham and similar).

I think The Revenant offends on all of those counts.
You don’t think the Bond franchise were comedies?

advertisement

Back