advertisement

Parlour trick

My Leak Stereo 20 has decided to troll-up the thread with it's lovely yellow cables:

26484197470_78c44a8c3a_b.jpg

Haters gona hate and all that.

Aahh Van den hul, now there is a maverik cable designer, ever seen one of his cable lectures, the guy is definitely from planet zog.

If I was frigging the volume I'd have a nice big volume display that never changed.

But then if I really wanted to rig the demo id use a CD where the tracks were edited such that there's was a volume level increase partway through the track. All you have to do is pause at the right point....
The demo in question was mains cables for the CDP. So it was shut off each time, and so had to be advanced to the appropriate track.

Nordost's extreme over-reaction tends to imply guilt. This type of thing usually ends badly. If left alone the believers would have continued to believe and normal people would have remained content that physics continued to apply more or less all over the world.

Paul

Please tell me that's not your only copy of Paranoid Tony ;-)

Actually it is! It's the 'pfm record shop system' up in the back bedroom so I've hung a few interesting yet sadly below sellable condition items on the wall. I don't actually own any Sabbath myself, though I do quite like their early stuff. I saw them live (original lineup) back in the late 70s. As I recall the first album and Paranoid were my facourites.

The demo in question was mains cables for the CDP. So it was shut off each time, and so had to be advanced to the appropriate track.

Nordost's extreme over-reaction tends to imply guilt. This type of thing usually ends badly. If left alone the believers would have continued to believe and normal people would have remained content that physics continued to apply more or less all over the world.

Paul
Static universe, gravity, dark matter??

Yep, we know everything about physics, nothing left to learn.

The article alleges that the volume is not increased rather that the same track is not repeated and that another track ,perhaps recorded at a louder value is substituted.
Nordost usually demonstrate at the Munich show,
Keith

Oh that's interesting.
I'm going so will investigate :)

Paul

Exactly. Usually all that's required is to spin some silly story and let the minds of the followers do the rest.

Actually it is! It's the 'pfm record shop system' up in the back bedroom so I've hung a few interesting yet sadly below sellable condition items on the wall. I don't actually own any Sabbath myself, though I do quite like their early stuff. I saw them live (original lineup) back in the late 70s. As I recall the first album and Paranoid were my facourites.

D102 is just very well made, well shielded, low capacitance cable. It doesn't cost a fortune either so you're quite safe :)

I seen a nordost demo in Dublin and he alway states to the audience at how the volume on the pre amp stayed the same.

I was at two Nordost demo's in Dublin and the 'performer' on both shows was Lars:). The more expensive cables always sounded louder it was imho ridiculous.He certainly knows how to spin a terrible tune. No Oscar Peterson or Miles Davis for Lars just some dreadful euro crap. Not even Nordost most expensive cable could make it sound listenable maybe that was the idea. Longer power cables always sounded better hence the need to buy 5metres of Valhalla to get the last ounce of SQ. I still have Nordost cables and use Heimdall interconnects for my main listening source but the sales pitch is so cheesy as to be comical. Of course just my humble opinion;)

...If you hear something in your own time and space then you are happy to spend. Trouble is your thinking will already have been seeded with the idea it might make a difference.

Love cable threads
You have already been told that if you don't hear the difference, that either your system or your ears are sub-standard. Never underestimate the power of ego.

No matter what the true situation is regarding those cables.= has not anyone yet realized it does not take 'an Einstein" : to work out that - $6000(US) if spent elsewhere in a HI Fi system would make a remarkable far greater massive difference. in any case?
Am I correct in saying that it I believe , it was T.D. Laing who said a rather super cynical but often-true remark
" The World is made up of only two types of people. Those that wish to tie people up in knots.....and those that love, being tied up".

As to "who - one considers is probably right or wrong - in that cable dispute" .....just draw your own individual conclusions, honed from past personal experience. Seasoned Hi Fi enthusiasts have all faced similar made 'wonky' claims in the past, heard personally from dealers and manufacturers or other hi Fi fans It is truly a case of "Caveat Emptor".
This present dispute is nothing startling. In the past, there has been identical squabbles about AV and HDMI cables - claiming to do the same job requirements - costing as low as $5.... or $100.

You have already been told that if you don't hear the difference, that either your system or your ears are sub-standard. Never underestimate the power of ego.
Imagine a court case where part of the criteria was " for those involved to be judged upon their personal individual standards and quality of their hearing abilities". :D

Have you never experienced a difference in a blind dem with hifi equipment. It is how i purchased anything back in the day when i purchased new, my local Music matters would to hide when they saw me coming :)

I find this post quite wrong on every level from my experience with hifi equipment over the last 30 years or so.

If you think you need thousands of pounds worth of equipment & golden ears to hear improvements, i feel for you.

What equipment do you own, just out of curiosity because based on this post, you should own something very, very cheap, all linked together with bellwire from maplins, if you don't, why not, if all sounds the same.

I would edge my bets & say your system comes in above 2 grand, am i wrong?
You are wrong, although I'll grant I've owned some pretty expensive gear in the past (Naim, Avondale, Rotel), all hooked up with very fat cables! ;-) Nothing worse than a recovered audiophile is there! :D

Actually, I'm only partly recovered. Any serious listening these days is via headphones, and I've got three pairs of them. Plus two DAC/headphone amps, and there's a good chance I'll spend £495 on another DAC/headphone amp this week. I've got a couple of amp and speakers setups, the best of them with my Vienna Haydn speakers, driven by a Yamaha AS500. There's a Denon integrated on my desk with some cheapo Wharfdales but it's just for a bit of sound out of the computer, I don't really use it for listening to music.

I do understand the pull of expensive hi-fi gear, and all sorts of things certainly seem to make differences. Except DACs, mains leads and equipment stands, which make none whatsoever, even with the ear of faith! Transducers are the most important components, and a nice big chunky amp that can drive them to their limits without breaking sweat is nice to have.

I only really take issue with audiophiles these days when they claim that things that are barely and often only rarely audible are of great musical significance. There seems to be a strand of logic that says, if you can detect the difference, then it must be important. No it isn't. It's possible, albeit usually quite difficult, to ABX recent MP3 codecs at say ~ 190 kbps. If you train your ear to pick out the types of artefacts the codecs introduce, and you use a sample that features such sounds, then you'll spot the MP3 if you listen carefully. But the differences are small and of no musical significance whatsoever. Jeez, some of the finest recorded musical performances of all time were captured in mono with appalling amounts of distortion and noise etc! Does it really detract from the musicality of Furtwangler, Toscanini, the Busch Quartet, or Edwin Fischer? Not in my book.

Am I correct in saying that it I believe , it was T.D. Laing who said a rather super cynical but often-true remark
" The World is made up of only two types of people. Those that wish to tie people up in knots.....and those that love, being tied up".

There's an Indian saying that the material world consists of the cheats and the cheated.

I guess if you have some £100k system then an expensive mains cable might act as a hf filter, and if its thick enough, provide enough current peaks for ones 1kw mono blocks.

For most normal people, £5k could make a massive improvement elsewhere in the system. £5k of second hand speakers or amp for example. Or you can get a nice shiny new SME 15 for just over £5k.

Static universe, gravity, dark matter??

Yep, we know everything about physics, nothing left to learn.
Oh Christ, not this bollocks again!

Seriously, if you want to bring up these examples of "science not having all the answers" talk to a professional physicist or any other reputable scientist first. The important thing is that science is self-correcting - eventually it's gaps and errors are ruthlessly exposed by new experiments and the scrutiny of peers. It's a massive collaborative effort involving literally thousands of people and involves absolute attention to detail in the design of experiments so that all confounding factors may be eliminated. This is how scientific knowledge advances. It's not because some random bloke with spare cash thinks he hears a difference in a cable demo. Only someone possessed of the utmost arrogance would believe otherwise.

I know this. I worked on a dark matter experiment last summer, modelling gamma ray propagation in the detector.

advertisement

Back