advertisement

Parlour trick

What can I say! I'm glad you like the way your system sounds, but your experience bucks the more usual experience for most folk.

It's why the Loudness Button was invented BTW.

Never owned one with a loudness button

I can only state how i listen & how i hear things

Maybe the rumours are true, i do have golden ears :)

May sound silly but i find the opposite quite strange, the need to have to increase the volume to enjoy your music more, i have never been in this predicament, thankfully.

It's also irrelevant, missing the point.

If Ragaman listened to two things, that were exactly the same except that one was 1dB louder, he'd probably (hopefully?) hear the difference, and typically would prefer the louder. This isn't the same as needing it loud to sound good. The volume change is not obvious as such.

Paul

It's also irrelevant, missing the point.

If Ragaman listened to two things, that were exactly the same except that one was 1dB louder, he'd probably (hopefully?) hear the difference, and typically would prefer the louder. This isn't the same as needing it loud to sound good. The volume change is not obvious as such.

Paul
Apparently not, if I understand post 267.

Surely we need to define low volume?
For me, it's the level I can hear my wife nag me.
I go a bit louder and my enjoyment definitely goes up.

Either i'm an oddity in this place or your all bloody mad ;)

Music is enjoyed more at higher volume
Rhythm has absolutely nothing to do with music & is a silly notion,
We need to define low volume now, good god, it's gone nuts :eek:

I seem to have completely differing experiences to most here

I had high hopes for Venton, he seemed a man unto himself a few weeks back, now it's the same old stuff being spouted, the conversion is complete, how sad. That just leaves Shane then, i have high hopes.

Just winding you up, Black country humour can sting on occasion :D

Music is enjoyed more at higher volume

Note higher - not high.

And obviously higher only up to a point.

Rhythm has absolutely nothing to do with music & is a silly notion,

I doubt anyone has said that.

What might have been said is that rhythm will be there regardless of, for example, which DAC you use.

I think it is unusual not to hear an improvement with higher volume (within reason of course). Ragaman, you have golden ears and are lucky to enjoy music equally when quiet.

I think that, within limits, an increase in volume is perceived as an increase in the energy in the music, which is why it is preferred by most people. I do think that most music has a 'natural' level, at which the full degree of expression in the playing is realised (to the extent of the system's capabilities, obviously).

I also think that the design of amplifiers tends to mean that playing at a (comparatively) low volume will result in dynamic compression, hence why there is this 'natural' level. Also, of course, at higher volume, the SNR tends to be greater.

I'm not sure what Raga's taste in music is like, but if he's listening to a lot of compressed pop and rock, for example, the compression inherent in listening at lower levels might not be so apparent.

Have to post my own observation that poor connections between cables etc can change the sound to some degree.

As an extreme example recently my daughter who listens to youtube video with a pair of my headphones was complaining to me that you can't hear speaking on my headphones only the music.

I said that was impossible but tried them on a could only hear the music from it, and not the guy talking. Tried with other headphones and all ok could hear the speech.

Had a play with the headphones and found the connecting cable was not pushed in all the way, just a tiny tiny bit out, pushed it in and then could hear the speech again.... not sure what the explanation is...

I think that, within limits, an increase in volume is perceived as an increase in the energy in the music, which is why it is preferred by most people. I do think that most music has a 'natural' level, at which the full degree of expression in the playing is realised (to the extent of the system's capabilities, obviously).

Agreed. You get and increase in clarity, energy and the perception of detail up to the natural level you describe. Which is why the mechanism of adding a small increase in volume during comparisons cropped up in the first place. But I think it's a good indicator of a well sorted system/room that volume can me increased to higher levels without becoming ragged, peaky or in some cases painful.

I think it is unusual not to hear an improvement with higher volume (within reason of course). Ragaman, you have golden ears and are lucky to enjoy music equally when quiet.

Except nobody said that he couldn't enjoy music equally when quiet. But then he knew that. His ears, provided they are human will still react to the well documented effect that was alluded to earlier. Old Raga likes to be seen as a bit of a rebel. ;)

Had a play with the headphones and found the connecting cable was not pushed in all the way, just a tiny tiny bit out, pushed it in and then could hear the speech again.... not sure what the explanation is...
Probably you were listening to the difference between left and right. Since the speech appears equally in both channels it disappears.

However I'm not convinced that this experience has much application to Nordost séances.

Paul

advertisement

Back