advertisement

P&O Ferries Scandal

Not going to happen. When the dismissed workers sign their forms accepting payment, it'll be full and binding, sealed, and waive their rights to dispute.
Yes. P&O has already admitted that it has added court costs onto severance pay so worker will likely not be better off even if the do win an unfair dismissal claim.

The rush to the bottom continues - in the age of global capitalism. It seems maritime law circumvents national laws - I hope their ferries sink with the board of directors on board.

Maritime law may have precedence, but ships need to dock. Countries have leverage and they should use it.
Good point, if a country can seize an oligarch’s yacht, it must have the power to refuse entry to one of their ports or at least to refuse to allow non unionised workers to load and unload?

Good point, if a country can seize an oligarch’s yacht, it must have the power to refuse entry to one of their ports or at least to refuse to allow non unionised workers to load and unload?
Are you really suggesting that the authorities insist on union membership? That would be so funny.

Are you really suggesting that the authorities insist on union membership? That would be so funny.
You are quite right, that was very badly worded. Written before my 4th cup of coffee, so I wasn’t awake. I should’ve said something like, workers protected and paid according to UK law, (gained as a result of unions), but it seemed clumsy.

I'm not sure. I think the best that could happen is to ensure that all workers inside the UK (land, water, air, whatever) are covered by UK working conditions.

According to the BBC:

"Ministers had threatened the firm with "unlimited fines" but in a letter to Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, its chief executive Peter Hebblethwaite said the 786 sacked workers were employed by three Jersey-based arms of P&O Ferries.

The eight ships they worked on, which service routes including Dover-Calais and Larne-Ciarnryan, are all registered in Cyprus, the Bahamas or Bermuda."

If this is the case, why was the Company paid under the Covid Furlough Scheme? Were they in fact even eligible?

According to the BBC:

"Ministers had threatened the firm with "unlimited fines" but in a letter to Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, its chief executive Peter Hebblethwaite said the 786 sacked workers were employed by three Jersey-based arms of P&O Ferries.

The eight ships they worked on, which service routes including Dover-Calais and Larne-Ciarnryan, are all registered in Cyprus, the Bahamas or Bermuda."

If this is the case, why was the Company paid under the Covid Furlough Scheme? Were they in fact even eligible?
Excellent question?

‘The amendment is the only change to the 1992 act relating specifically to foreign-registered ships’ I certainly hope that Mr Graying is hauled up before the relevant select committee and given a grilling on why was a change the change to the Law was necessary, was P&O sponsoring the Conservative Party and access to all relevant material. Unlikely I know but one can wish..

Hi, P&O are advertising on the tv this week, i thought a bit odd, but this might have been scheduled, many month's ago,
they have set aside £36,000,000 for redundancy, that divided by 800 is £45,000, each, i know it will not be carved up like this,

Hi, P&O are advertising on the tv this week, i thought a bit odd, but this might have been scheduled, many month's ago,
they have set aside £36,000,000 for redundancy, that divided by 800 is £45,000, each, i know it will not be carved up like this,
The maximum payout for wrongful dismissal is one years salary. I suspect this is part of the calculation.

Which P&O?
The cruise company is a completely unrelated company to the ferry company.
Yes. We have a cruise booked with P&O in 2022 and 2023, I would have cancelled them if they were the same company as the P&O ferry bastards. I’ve been looking at P&O cruise deals for 2024, which were announced today. I’ve had 3 emails from them reminding me they are not the same company.

According to the BBC:

It wouldn’t seem impossible for the terms of a licence to operate a ferry out of the UK to include terms about what jurisdiction the ships are registered under, and the crew employed. It’s not like the ships operate round the world. Let’s be generous and give them a choice on the Channel route, they can either abide by UK employment law, or French. Ditto, the UK-Ireland routes, a choice of either end.

It wouldn’t seem impossible for the terms of a licence to operate a ferry out of the UK to include terms about what jurisdiction the ships are registered under, and the crew employed. It’s not like the ships operate round the world. Let’s be generous and give them a choice on the Channel route, they can either abide by UK employment law, or French. Ditto, the UK-Ireland routes, a choice of either end.

Yes, seems like pretty common sense to me. The Government should change the law accordingly so that we can then withdraw their operators license for UK ports. Otherwise, we now have ferries manned by very cheap labour going against competing ferry companies paying much more for crew. It's sink or swim.

advertisement

Back