advertisement

Oops - Thorens TD 124

Hi Richard,
I suggested the Hadcock 228 as I personally like it, but I don't know too much about the AS-212.
So I asked two friends who are both professionally involved with repairing tonearms and decks
& the answer in both cases (plain performance) was: AS-212

I was a bit astonished, but that's what they said.
No design or optical consideration, just sonic result.

Both suggested to change the TA wire for a better one, and one of them said it would benefit from a bearing upgrade, too.

So I stand corrected again...and I hope that helps.
Kind regards..

Thought I would ask this, since it pertains to a Thorens 124.
I know from previous threads that many 124’s, prior to a motor rebuild, will run slow at turn-on and gradually come up to speed over time. Others (including myself) have indicated that once the motor is rebuilt, the 124 will initially run fast and gradually slow to the proper speed.
My question is: Has anyone found a solution to the latter situation? My TT will gradually slow to the correct speed over 60-90 minutes, and it’s annoying that I can’t seem to solve the problem. Otherwise this has been a great turntable, equaling the best that I’ve owned over the years.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

The Ortofon AS-212 looks right for the Thorens TD124 deck and period and is supposed to be a good match.

I would like to try a 212 one day if a good opportunity to purchase one comes along.

My question is: Has anyone found a solution to the latter situation? My TT will gradually slow to the correct speed over 60-90 minutes, and it’s annoying that I can’t seem to solve the problem. Otherwise this has been a great turntable, equaling the best that I’ve owned over the years.

My theory is the current trend for exceptionally thin oil such as that sold by Schopper and very long spin-down times isn’t quite right. Last time I rebuilt my motor I switched to a slightly heavier oil, the sort of stuff that is recommended for bronze bushings in open reel tape decks, and that seems to have made the effect less pronounced. I actually did it as I was surprised to see the top bearing of my motor far, far drier than I’d like after only a year or so of use with Schopper oil (which I’d vacuum loaded into the bushings and totally flooded the felts), so I thought I’d try a different oil this time. The result is my unloaded motor spin-down time is a lot less (about 10-12 seconds compared to about 30 with the Schopper), but given I’m in a high mains area and need a lot of eddy-current brake a tiny bit more friction is a benefit IMO. Now the deck very slightly slightly speeds up after 30 minutes or so, so the way I have it set starts with the strobe drifting backwards stabilising after a side or two. The drift is imperceptible. My guess is if you found exactly the right viscosity and temperature-rated oil for all the moving parts you could achieve zero drift, but finding that oil may prove challenging. I also, and not for the first time, feel the very expensive boutique market are failing to see the wood for the trees with this deck and are focusing on silly marketing wins (e.g. exceptionally long motor spin-down) rather than how the deck behaves as a unit for playing records. I’d love to know exactly what oil Thorens themselves use.

PS My 124 is currently working superbly well, my only area of criticism remains the belt. I remain absolutely convinced one belt-length can not possibly be right for both the 50Hz and 60Hz pulleys and that the standard length belt on the UK 50Hz pulley is just too tight which causes stretching and shedding. My current favourite remains the Hanze HiFi one, but even so it needs cleaning every couple of months as it is too tight and sheds. Even the slightest barely perceptible amount of rubber shed translates to noise in the TD-124 (especially the MkII) and I’m convinced another 5-8mm or so of belt length would cure this.

Thanks for your post. I will have to experiment with a higher viscosity oil the next time I lube the motor bearings to see if I can obtain similar results. Definitely worth trying.
In any case, it will not change my admiration for the design and overall performance of the 124!
By the way, since I started using the Thakkar belt, I have no noise from my deck, even with my ear next to it. I haven’t checked for belt shedding in at least 6 months now, and there was very little then.

The Ortofon AS-212 looks right for the Thorens TD124 deck and period and is supposed to be a good match.

I would like to try a 212 one day if a good opportunity to purchase one comes along.

My TD-124 came with its original RMG-212. I’ve thought about replacing it with a modern arm (Ortofon RS-212D or GrooveMaster II), but am in no rush to do so.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ortofon/rmg-212.shtml

rj55XwC.jpg

I sold my AS-212 before even trying it I’m afraid so either the Sony or Hancock will go on it when I finally pull my finger out :) And on Looks alone it will be the Sony.

advertisement

Back