advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

Good morning all,

Had some time in the early hours here on this boatie loading cable in Pikkala and have finalised the Isobarik Upgrade Excel spreadsheet. A way back in time somebody was asking about the cost of this project - well I can now reveal that the modified Isobariks have cost £4,450 allowing for all purchases/ disposals made along the way.

Of that headline figure if you had to go and buy the 4off Keltik woofers (UBG) and 8off Scanspeak drivers (new) you'd be looking at a price of some £3060 alone at current prices......

I still have to play about i.e. fit alternate bass drivers (£1200 invested there) with the other pair of Isobariks (bought from Ian Walker of this parish) of course............ I need to get on with this at some point. The 'worst' outcome here would be that either the IMF or TDL unit are perceived to be 'better' - this would mean not only new Exact filters but the struggle to get these deeper chassis'd drivers in to the Kustone cabinets (it will certainly entail the removal of at least one Kustone block). As you might appreciate I'm in no great hurry to open that Pandora's box.

Regards

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Contacted Quieststone - https://www.quietstone.co.uk earlier today and had a reply back.

As David Ellwood suggested a way back in this thread Kustone is now known as Quietstone and this is the company that supplied it to Linn. It is, apparently, a flint and resin composite and clearly still available.

Se1t9AM.png

I've no idea as to price but their Director advises that if I let them know the dimensions of what I want they can supply it.

This allows me to destructively remove blocks to fit deeper chassised units in to the modified Isobariks if I wanted to.

In a perfect world I need to acquire a pair of the new B139's before I start experimenting...... I need a sponsor :rolleyes:

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Good morning all,

I wasn't sure whether to put this post here or the Avondale amplifier upgrade thread.

One of my aims with the system is to get it Linn Organik 'friendly' and following consultation with the very helpful Jon Nelson at Ripcaster I discovered I had a 'challenge'.

The challenge is that the Organik bit would need to be in the Exactbox i.e. I can have all the Organik DAC's I want in the streamer but they would be 'defeated' by what was in the Akurate level Exactbox. As Linn have decided they weren't going to offer the Organik upgrade for the Akurate range of Exactboxes I'm kind of stuck going forward.

Those who understand Linn equipment will know that the Klimax Exactbox's are 6 channel devices so if you have 10 channels you need two of them. Jon did offer me a very good price on a pair including a discount for my existing Exactbox but it is still way more than I want to pay.

This has come as a bit of a setback to my plans of having the Isobariks as 10 channel devices so I'm 99% persuaded to keep things simple and probably aim for the 'conventional' approach to driving Isobariks actively i.e. three channels per speaker.

This would allow me to have a Klimax Organik Exactbox albeit it would still cost £13,000+ with a trade-in at some point in the future..... if I say it quickly enough it might sound less???

I'll also need to address the issue of revised Exact filters...........

Regards

Richard

I can't see why you would need more than a 6 channel crossover.

At those prices I'd have a good home demo to discern whether it's worth even going to the Klimax Exactboxes level, let alone the Organik DAC summit.

I personally think you're paying heavily for the Klimax chassis which imo only adds aesthetics. Linn love using their milling machine to rack up the cost. Also the way the units talk to each other with proprietary cables and connectors puts me off.

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking at an Klimax Katalyst Exactbox which has been upgraded to Organik level...........

I need to stop looking -

Regards

Richard

Good afternoon all,

I see SH is now seeking £18,500 for a pair of refurbished Isobariks - still compared to the Qudos 808 at £28 - 30k they would still be a bargain......

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back