advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

I've just acquired a pair of late Isobariks, non Kustone.
I've also battled through reading this thread and it seems a lot of work.

Is there any benefit to updating the drivers to the set as advertised by Falcon or should that option be considered only in the case of drive failure?
From my listening experience (My friend has the Falcon units and I have the originals), The Falcons are better, they give an even tighter bass sound and therefore an even faster bass that never loses control on complex passages of music. This is a mod/upgrade I'm seriously considering but at around £1200 for the set and a job an' half (that's full of risk)....I need more time to mentally build up to it. No doubt for Richard here it would be a simple two hour of an afternoon task.....not for me!

-

DyVDFUo.jpg

Richard, you didn't explain what this was....I'm highly intrigued. Looks like a gasket fot B139's but I've never seen anything like this before. How will you use it?

Good Morning All,

The gaskets are marketed by somebody on eBay as full sets so I just asked them for the B139 pattern ones.

As I'll be changing out 4 drivers x 4 times I needed 16 gaskets. Probably overkill but at least I'll know that the drivers are quickly and correctly sealed and there'll be no fanning about cleaning off sealant etc. in between driver change-outs.

Regards

Richard

Should be neoprene, ive experimented with different grades and my supplier set me through a batch of what Linn order and what B&W order.

Both work well , the B&W grade stuff if a little heavier.

I'll make a bet that no gasket but full sealant is best, just not as practical.

I think it will depend. I see the gasket as offering a degree of fine tuning with different types working out better in different situations. Linn's original method was close to what you describe but removing the drive units was not fun.

Good evening all,

I suspect my coverage of my GIK acoustic panel project is probably split across this thread and the Avondale one.

I took advantage of the recent special offer GIK had and ordered 6off 242 panels. I've fitted 4 so far:-

ai1oYlz.jpg

and, note the cardboard tube on the left - this is the Martin Clark suggesting sound-proofing strip for the door which has still to be fitted:-

1v6qUii.jpg

and:-

EKakJEF.jpg

The time has come for the Ikea unit at the 'back' of the room to move out so I can fit the 2off 244 bass traps and 3off 242 panels.

The boxes in the last picture contain more Avondale amplifier board parts than I care to think about.......

I am finding that I don't 'need' Sound Optimisation at this point in time......

I need to get some more mounting brackets from Screwfix......

Regards

Richard

I have four of the GIK panels to "deaden" the short side of an L shaped room. They are really very good. Room treatment is something that is great value sound wise.

Great floor btw.

Richard, That seems a quite small room to run ‘bariks in. What are the dims and how close are you sitting to the speakers. Nearfield?

With all these panels on the walls and ceiling you'll be getting close to anechoic.... You do need a bit of reflection to keep things a little bit lively... I reckon you may have gone too far.

Looks like the Keltic drivers on bass duty?... But I recall you only had a pair, if so, what's in the back positions? .... I'm really intrigued on how it's all sounding, seems you've been listening but not keeping us informed of your findings...I hope you'll divulge in due course... I'm fascinated by this multifaceted project of yours....its epic.

Last edited:
Richard, That seems a quite small room to run ‘bariks in. What are the dims and how close are you sitting to the speakers. Nearfield?
I remember being first hooked by Isobariks when I heard Roy George’s system in his two up two down in Portsmouth in the early eighties. Tiny room, epic sound.

Good Afternoon,

That's the last of the GIK panels now mounted on the rear wall:-

HYZMMOP.jpg

Next up will be getting the curtains put up.......

Regards

Richard

The room is 4.7 x 3.9 x 2.65mtrs. I'm sitting 2.75mtrs off the front wall which is 'optimal' apparently according to the programmes I've been using

With all these panels on the walls and ceiling you'll be getting close to anechoic.... You do need a bit of reflection to keep things a little bit lively... I reckon you may have gone too far.

Looks like the Keltic drivers on bass duty?... But I recall you only had a pair, if so, what's in the back positions? .... I'm really intrigued on how it's all sounding, seems you've been listening but not keeping us informed of your findings...I hope you'll divulge in due course... I'm fascinated by this multifaceted project of yours....it's epic.

GIK's own calculator reckons that 19 panels would be 'ideal' - I'm at 21 but as the recent eBay deal came as lots of 3 panels............

I don't believe I've gone too far but I now need to run some tests with and without SO in play to see if I still need to use it.

Edited bit - I realise I hadn't responded to your query about the Keltik's - I assume you haven't followed the thread from the start??? There are Keltik's front and rear.

I thought I had been pretty effusive in my support for what the Avondale SE amplification was doing for the sound - clearly not.

If you haven't had an opportunity to hear what the SE boards are about I'd suggest you badger whoever you know who owns some and go and have a listen. I'm not being paid by AA to promote their products - go and have a listen and form your own opinion - if you are currently routinely listening to Naim products I would very strongly suggest you go and listen.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
The room is 4.7 x 3.9 x 2.65mtrs. I'm sitting 2.75mtrs off the front wall which is 'optimal' apparently according to the programmes I've been using

When you're finished I wouldn't mind coming over to have a listen. I think you're about 20 miles from me.
You can of course tell me to piss off :D

I've heard Avondales in an Activ Isobarik setup, the ones that were a direct replacement for the NAP250 which sounded very Naim like but that was a fairly long time ago (NCC200 I think). My biggest impression was the poor quality chassis used (flimsy thin and ugly) which were mostly empty and 6 of them took up a huge amount of space.

Little chance of hearing the new SE boards, but if I ever come across them (say at a future WAM show perhaps), I'll definitely have a close listen based on your recommendation.

advertisement

Back