Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

One for the Isobarik Experts

Discussion in 'audio' started by Richard Lines, Mar 3, 2020.

1. chris geary

chris geary pfm Member

thank you for your continuing research in the field of Isobarik fiddling. This thread is one for the ages.

nostromo likes this.
  2. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All,

This thread isn't dead (yet) by any means just that a lot of effort/ money is going into the amplification side of things..............

Once we have 10 channels of new amplification I'll be back to playing with the Isobariks.

Regards

Richard

tpetsch likes this.
  3. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All,

That's a second pair of TDL 3021/ GT01's secured finally, can't help feeling that I'm bidding against a well known purveyor of modified Isobariks.

When I can find the time I can now carry out tests with a pair of Isobariks fitted with B139's/ IMF 128/20 and the TDL's and make my own mind up which I prefer.

Regards

Richard

Mr Pig likes this.
  4. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Afternoon All,

Well that's the second pair of TDL woofers arrived:-

[​IMG]

and also the second tranche of GIK acoustic panels:-

[​IMG]

There are a veritable mountain of projects to be getting on with at home......

All I need is to actually be there.....

Regards

Richard

Mr Pig and Ben&Ted like this.
  5. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Afternoon All,

Had a somewhat successful last 24hrs in that I believe I've secured 10prs of Isobarik pattern cable sockets.

I hadn't thought to look in the direction of Linn Index's..............

Only two weeks to go before heading home now.

Regards

Richard

6. nostromo

nostromo pfm Member

These Tdls look really nice, but shouldn't the magnets be vented to allow airflow from the front to the back? I believe the B139s in the briks are vented.

Following this project with great interest... Thanks.

7. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

nostromo - both pairs of TDL's are like that. As I understand it the holes in the rear of the B139 were a part of the power handling upgrade? I think that both the IMF and TDL 'racetrack' devices having a deeper chassis don't need to ventilate the pole or that they have a greater range of cone travel?

Do we have any speaker design guru's on the forum?

I'm keen to conclude the project as well along with the amplification project.......

Regards

Richard

8. nostromo

nostromo pfm Member

Kef made at least two versions of the B139, but only one variant had the hole, which is the one used in Briks.

It's probably not that crucial as the drivers will be in phase... Please remember I'm no expert... Just pretending.

Might be worth checking if the new Falcon replacements have a hole.

9. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

New falcons have the hole and a heap more Xmax.

dspatterson likes this.
  10. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

If somebody wants to loan me a pair to conduct a test with................. haven't we been here before?? How do we know which has the greatest excursion between the IMF/ TDL and new B139?

Regards

Richard

11. nostromo

nostromo pfm Member

Interesting... I know the new Falcon B139 are about 1cm deeper, and so a little heavier and harder to fit. They are certainly very nicely built (top quality). This may explain the higher Xmax, which I wasn't aware of.

I always thought the reason the Tdls were sought was due to the lack of new B139s (before Falcon got their's designed/produced). Also there were rumours the Tdls sounded better... I'm hoping you'll be able to find that out soon.

12. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Afternoon All,

That's 2off more 600 x 600mm GIK panels attached to the ceiling. You can also see there are now half height Tri-Traps sitting on top of the original full height ones.

The panel to the right of the Isobarik has yet to be moved now the room has been "turned around".

[​IMG]

We're still waiting on the joiner turning up to fit the skirting board............

Regards

Richard