advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

I guess I'm just happy that new drive units for the Isobarik are available. For years that was not the case, for the mid and bass drivers anyway. Although I have heard comments than the Falcon ones don't sound as good as the originals?

Although I have heard comments than the Falcon ones don't sound as good as the originals?

If you mean the Falcon FB110 they are an exact copy of the B110 SP1003 that was used in the 15 Ohm LS3/5A, JR149 etc. They are not the same driver as the B110B SP1228 that was used in the Kan and I assume Isobarik.

Good Evening All,

Having sent the vendor a couple of photo's and the old Linn Speaker Service manual he has removed the two front woofers and determined that both are dead. As you can imagine he is disappointed to find this out about them after owning them for over 10 years.

I strongly suspect that they were like this when he bought them (I'm not going to name the sellers but it wasn't Audio Projects so those that know Leeds will have a fair idea who the other vendor was).

He is still selling the speakers so I will be down at the weekend to collect them.

Thanks for suggestions/ comments.

Regards

Richard
The fronts ones are the ones mostly likely to blow.
The inner one is protected by the bag . Stopping the cone popping out. The front ones when popping out dislodge the tiny lead that connects between the cone and magnet coil. Thus breaking the circuit

Ive got some spares in good nick that are in good nick. Was going to use them to refurb my 2nd pair . But may just get new ones instead so happy to depart with them.

Qgct09U.jpg

Not a bag, a cloth pouch filled with deadening wool, that's between the two b139s

FpqMUie.jpg

And that is behind the rear b139 just the cloth no filling, but the whole cavity behind the rear b139 is filled with wool. I think the cloth is to stop wool etc moving and fouling the movement of the b139

Not a bag, a cloth pouch filled with deadening wool, that's between the two b139s

Wow! All these years and I did not know that was in there!

How does it stop the bag driver from killing itself though? If it doesn't stop the driver working properly, how does it stop it going too far?

The cloths attatch to the driver surround with hot melt glue. It's for dampening only it does not touch any moving part of the driver.
The one In between dampens the rear one acts a barrier to the wool

The front driver always suffers more as the rear driver operates in a damped way, its pulling and pushing on a sealed chamber, that is the chamber behind the rear b139, whereas the front driver is pulling pushing aided by the rear driver and operating into a open cavity... Your listening room

Good Evening All,

That's me back home about 45 minutes now having been down to Leeds to collect these Isobariks.

Only heard a couple of tracks on them in the PO's property so I wasn't familiar with the replacement drivers, the music or the environment. I have to say there was plenty of bass present (Beasties Boys track) although the there was definitely 'bass boom' going on in the room, it was far from immediately obvious that there was a fault in a bass unit.........

I have bought a couple of UBG B139's off Simon Hamnett due to arrive at the flat for Monday.

The intention is to get them up and running and give them a dose of listening to to see what the Scan-speak replacements do for how they sound.

I also managed to buy a pair of the TDL/ IMF/ Elac woofers yesterday as well, so am still looking for another pair to go the full 'Simon Hamnett' replacement route and form my own conclusion.

I am a great supporter of the Isobarik, but like the LP12, just maybe they could be improved from how they started out???

Regards

Richard

Everything I've seen from him has been crazy expensive? From speakers to drivers and even just grilles. Nutsoid pricing on it all?
I can't comment on his pricing but I like that he is passionate about what he does - hopefully by the middle of next week I should have had an opportunity to hear my latest acquisition.

Does anybody have a picture of how the cloths attach to the driver surround, the PO had removed them and I want to make sure they go back as intended?

David - do you have pictures of the kustone 'brick's in place?

Regards

Richard

No pictures sorry, there are four in each compartment, one stuck to each face. There’s another stuck to the magnet of the B110. Don’t know how much there is in the rear cabinet.

it’s now marketed as quietstone

Last edited:
If the front b139s have been over excursed and the bridging braid damaged as was mentioned in a earlier post then that could be relatively easy fix.

If the front b139s have been over excursed and the bridging braid damaged as was mentioned in a earlier post then that could be relatively easy fix.

Good point! I fixed a PA driver years ago which had the braid ripped right off the cone and the wire to the coil snapped. It was a footer, access was difficult, but once fixed it was totally fine.

advertisement

Back