advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

David,

That's taking things to the nth degree but I can see the logic.

I've now received the pair of IMF/ Elac drivers - I'm still looking for another pair.......

QzHclPA.jpg

Regards

Richard

Is that the Keltic drivers? Back in the day I remember being told that they were cheaper than the Kef drivers in the Isobarik.

The keltik drivers were made for linn by tonegen and designed by rod Crawford.

they have lighter diaphragms and sound fuller but slower than b139s

The keltik drivers were made for linn by tonegen and designed by rod Crawford. They have lighter diaphragms and sound fuller but slower than b139s

Ah yes, that's it. Tonegen. I remember hearing that one of the design criteria for the Keltic was that it had to be cheaper to build than the Isobarik.

Good Afternoon All,

I have now sourced a pair of 'Kustone' Isobariks meaning that right now there are 4 pairs of Isobariks in the house.........

Given that these last version Isobariks had the Kustone additions plus additional bracing I was expecting a 'significant' increase in weight.

Aided by my good lady wife I can report that these latter versions weigh a mere extra 0.8kg over their predecessors weighing in at 38.2kg against 37.4kg.

The plan will be to move the Scanspeak midrange and tweeters from the Isobariks currently in use and transfer them to this new pair but first I need to get the cabinets modified to accommodate them.

I'm still on the lookout for Keltik, TDL 3021/ GT01 or IMF 128/ 20 bass drivers...............

As part of an edit I can now publish photo's of the Kustone addition to these speakers.

Tybp9AC.jpg

KBDLCzO.jpg

The B139's are the 'more powerful' vented pole jobbies, in this case dated 10 December 1991. There is no black bitumastic paint applied and no sign of the acoustic wadding filled muslin bag glued to the back of the driver.

I'll be removing the B110 driver shortly.......

and having removed one of each......

c3Fjq6x.jpg

YBHHs6e.jpg

lmQuMMC.jpg

A couple of things from these pictures. I wasn't aware that these latter KEF drivers were dated. I note that Linn had to 'bodge' the Kustone blocks to allow them to fit........

Regards

Richard

The plan will be to move the Scanspeak midrange and tweeters from the Isobariks currently in use and transfer them to this new pair but first I need to get the cabinets modified to accommodate them.

What modifications are necessary? I thought those drive units were interchangeable?

Both the midrange and tweeter units are physically larger than the KEF/ Hiquphon units.

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard
Its a bit of a job to make the openings bigger to accomodate the Scanspeak mids snd tweeters. 120mm and 100mm respectively . Will you router the openings yourself or have them done.
The Scanspeak mids are phenomenal just takes the bricks to the next level.
I found the tweeters to be somewhat bright and being 4ohms they kept blowing. Where as the mids at at 8 ohms were spot on.
So I opted to change my tweeters to morels st1048s. They are at 8ohms and very sweet to hear imo.
They are at 104mm. Best of all if you do blow them you can get replacement coils that are a breeze to fix.
Ive not had anything sound better then my bricks so far. Even the top ones at the hifi shows are dull in comparison.
Good luck and I certainly hope your new bricks will blow your mind like they have for me.

Raj,

My first instinct is to get the routing done by somebody who has the appropriate equipment and skill. The person who did the ones I bought recently clearly knew what they were doing. The previous owner was given a contact by someone on this forum who came and did the necessary woodwork and fitted the drivers - guy called 'Owen' ???? If anybody knows who this I'd be grateful of some contact details.

I could possibly tackle it myself armed with a Dremel and suitable bits I guess.

I also need to find suitable fixings.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

The problem using a dremel is that it would take forever and its difficult to make a perfect opening.

Ideally you need a decent carpenter. Ther person who did the holes for the Scanspeaks for yours and mine had a rig built specifically for that.
Wilmslow Audio make speaker cabinets so im wondering if they can help you.

I must admit i used a drill with a rotary sandpaper. And i managed to get the hole size 4mm bigger to accommodate the morels, i replaced thr Scanspeak tweeters with.

Cheers and good luck

Raj

Raj,

I don't doubt Wilmslow could help but given I'm up in Aberdeenshire they are a long way away. I think I'd need to find somebody more local.

Regards

Richard

You need someone who is experienced in using a router. Probably use new speaker as guide to make a template and then fix template to the Isobarik (probably the hard part to avoid damage). Then run the router round the aperture and away you go.

Good Evening All,

I may have sourced a set of four Linn Keltic woofers........... must get on with finding a carpenter to rout the latest speaker cabinets.......

Regards

Richard

As part of an edit I can now publish photo's of the Kustone addition to these speakers....

The Kustone is making me laugh, firstly in how little there is and secondly because a very similar compound is sold for use as biological filtration media for aquariums.... It looks almost identical.

advertisement

Back