advertisement

older decent integrateds from the 80's / 90s

Sean, no speakers connected, black probe into black speaker output connector, red into red. 50mV or less, though up to 100mV acceptable I believe.

That's not the output stage bias though.

Thanks. I'll check my Densen Beat ... getting on for 14 years old now.

DSC_0062-1.jpg
[/IMG]
This MC2 650 is a 90s amp awesome when used as an integrated.
there's a MC750 on the bay at the mo.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110608396732

How would you use one as an integrated?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Rega Elicit Mk1, Cyrus 2 with PSX, Albarry PP1, Bryston B60 & Densen B10 - all great amps from the 90's

IMHO the basic design idea/s may not have developed much but the way we make, test and produce these have come one ten-fold. We make much more accurate electronics now.

I still own and use an Aura Evolution VA-100 MkII in my second system.

aura-evolution.jpg

The company was owned by B+W I think.

Not as detailed or punchy as my Naim stuff but still a very easy listen.

I had that amp and it was a delight. Followed by a Linn Intek which was and still is the worst amp I've ever owned. Finally I replaced it with a Creek 4330 and was quite pleased. All of this was for a second system I had a couple of years ago.

Talking of dc off set. A friend has a Lentex amp. Wonderfull made and sounding amp. Some his speakers did not take too well though with the dc off set.

I had a Cyrus 2 and PSX in 1986, great combo but totally blown away by the Copland CSA-14 I bought in 1995.

I preferred the Cyrus 2 over my mates 8000A another mate had the Claymore, but had been butchered by an amateur repair person, sounded aweful.

With the MC2 amps there is a button to twin the channels and you just use one of the digital volume control knobs.

I still use a John Shearne Phase 2 integrated which I have had from new.

I also had recently a home dem of the the Exposure 2010S integrated, to see really how far we have moved on.

I have kept the Shearne, as to my ears anyway, it far outperforms the new Exposure.

The dilemma I now have is if I want to upgrade, how much do I need to spend to better what I already have..

i have recently bought an old Incatech claymore, i have only had a few days with and it was to be a stand in until a can afford a new amp to go with my new speakers, but have to say i am pretty impressed with it...i am not sure what i would gain by spending 5 or 600 quid on a more modern integrated. i also had the pleasure of trying a Nait 2 not so long ago, as well as an ION obelisk 2 and also hearing an Onix 21 at a friends. All have been great and impressed me. I was also interested in the John Shearne Phase 2 but have not as yet heard one. These are all sort of 300 - 500 quid integrateds from that era

Hi if you need circuits please ask, also DC offset test should be about 10mV volume down no load, the bias current we set by this method it worked very well.
You will need a signal gen set to 10KHz at 1VRMS
A large say 25W 8ohm load not a speaker.
A fine screw driver.
And a scope.

Inject the 10HKz signal it the CD with it set to CD volume down.
Load the test channel on to the correct channel.
Connect the scope probe Blk/sheild to the BLACK terminal of the Claymore.
And the TIP to the RED please doesn’t get it wrong.
Set scope to 1V/CM and 100uS, adjust beam to centre screen
Now adjust volume to produce 1Vrms on the load.
Now adjust preset see cct diagrams to produce cross over distortion on the displayed sine wave,
Now adjust the preset so the clipping is gone.
Now that should be the best setting to run cool and sound good.

Now the Main Bulk caps by now will be past there best replace them.
Make sure the MOSFET are still up tight to the heat sink bracket and it is clamed down tight to the chassis before you do anything any problem please tell me.

I still own and use an Aura Evolution VA-100 MkII in my second system.

aura-evolution.jpg

The company was owned by B+W I think.

Not as detailed or punchy as my Naim stuff but still a very easy listen.

Yes it was a B&W beast, have you pic of the inside for interest, I think there was two types/

The Inputs are
balanced.

You would need a
DI Box, this direct
injection box will
allow you to use
a pre-amp!

You could use a
mIxer but it would
have to have the
balanced Line Out
option.

Hope this helps?
Ah, makes lots more sense. Actually I would use my mixer as the pre (which currently pres the pre in my integrated amp) which does have balanced XLRs out. Thanks.

1. John Shearne Phase two reference

2. something that once was an A&R A60 but is now a gainclone. - the transformer and box and one knob and the on-off switch all that remains.

Love to know what the power output is on the Shearne - heard folk say that 50w into 8ohm is conservative but this may be wishful thinking on my part as i'm hopefully buying a pair of AVI neutrons and want the shearne to do the business........

Probably time to get it serviced too - i think mine was from 1998 ??

Would like to know of others thoughts on something similar but with a smidge extra power - circa 70 W.

I have heard an Audiolab 8000A sound sweet as a nut with Spendor BC1s and Tannoy Eatons, but I have also heard it sound awful with other speakers (forget which ones). It is always worth trying though and is very cheap (£120-ish) on Ebay. Quite powerful too for its size.

Now it looks like my 3-box Exposure rig is mostly sold, I'm after a good integrated - I know plenty about the Exposures, but am also looking, to keep my options open, at the Claymore and an Onix OA21. Of course the Nait 2 would be another option but whilst I know it's a super little amp, it just doesn't have anywhere near the oomph I need.

There's what looks like a very clean Claymore on 'that' auction site, and there's also an OA21 lurking on the web which looks good. I know the Onix reasonably well, a friend has owned one (along with the SOAP) for many years and I always loved it for its dynamism and superb phonostage. Don't want to spend more than 300 quid really, as 1. Our boiler's been playing up and is due to be fixed tomorrow (£££!) and 2. I want to leave something behind for my vinyl front end.

Options would therefore be...

OA21
Claymore
Exposure Super XV

Thanks all

advertisement

Back