advertisement

older decent integrateds from the 80's / 90s

What was the difference between the vanilla A400 and the 'X' anyway ?

not 100% sure, as I have only heard the standard A400 ... but what I have read from many who have compared the two, the standard A400 is by far much better

but as I have said, the standard A400 is very good for the price when partnered correctly ... you will read as many good reviews as bad ones ... I have helped several of my son's college mates set up cheaper systems and many comprised the A400 amp

the best combinations I have heard are:

Pioneer A400 with a Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp in combination with:

Mission 753 speakers (the earlier ones, not the freedom model) ....

Mission 751 speakers (both the older and the freedom model) ...

B&W DM2 speakers (but have found that the DM2 speakers work better with a stronger amp) ...

the old Quad 11 speakers (but for me, I found bass a little on the weak side)

old IMF ALS40 speakers

I have also heard all the above with a Rotel RCD-965 BX cdp (standard aswell as the limited edition version) and also worked well with the above combinations, aswell as an old Pioneer PD-S703 cdp

for all the above combinations, I found that using decent LC-OFC (copper) speaker cables and a decent copper based interconnect worked well (for my tastes)

bear in mind, that there are most probably better more expensive combinations, but these are the ones I have tried and enjoyed

What was the difference between the vanilla A400 and the 'X' anyway ?

lots on the internet comparing the two, here is one:

snip:

As a happy user of the original A400 I thought it a significant breakthrough in budget solid state of the 'purist' kind. The A400X was a bitter dissapointment after that. Conspiracy theorists have claimed that the A400 was taking so much of Pioneers 'high-end' business away that they decided to kill it off. Stange but probable. If you can get your hands on an A400 (or one of the several copies by other manufactures - Marantz comes to mind) and a pair of relatively efficient speakers of the older English type such as TDL's transmission line models, you could be living in el-cheapo audio heaven. Interestingly few A400 amps come onto the second hand market..

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1409

Do the pioneer 400's and 300 precision have a good phono stage? (I miss my OA21, need something to drive jr149's...). Thanks!

Do the pioneer 400's and 300 precision have a good phono stage? (I miss my OA21, need something to drive jr149's...). Thanks!

the A400 is ok with the phono stage but you may find better for the price (if you can get hold of an old Pioneer SA-9800 you may be well pleased, but prices have risen considerably ... the last one I saw on ebay reccently sold for over £500)

If you get get an A300R precision full monty version, there is no phono stage due to the mods and size restriction of the internal space .... the other A300R precisons that did not have the full monty upgrades (there were 4 stages of upgrades/mods as far as I am aware of) still have a phono stage, but have never heard or compared as I only use a cdp ... Tom Evans would be the person to contact and advise (you can find his contact details on google)

The higher powered Denon PMAs had a lot going for them too. Dynamic and detailed and yet smooth and relaxed at the same time. Not a common combination at the time and only the Quad pre/power combo was better at this IMO.

I had a Pioneer A400X, it was nothing special at all. Very overrated, never compared it with the earlier version. I was happy to sell it.
The Marantz PM44 and Denon PMA 250 of the time were nice things at the same or less money, I'd have one of them first.

The TE modded ones may be good, I dunno, but after my experience with the A400X I would be very reluctant to have another.

advertisement

Back