advertisement

Lu's Thread

She looks lovely, hello to Lola :).

I despair when I read of poor owners not treating dogs with love and affection that the dogs give back willingly.
Thank you, she is beautiful in every way… and me too, she was destined to be a breeding machine, however the breeder decided she’d got too much on her plate and scaled back, and this little lady was saved that fate… she was called Daisy at that time but didn’t have a strong association to it, loved the name, however my daughter is called Daisy, so changed it to Lola, and she pretty much responded to it immediately.

I’m thinking of finishing her a rescue Dachshund companion, however I do need to be sure he/she is as placid as Lola.

I’m quite late to this thread, but it’s a very heartwarming and relatable one… after several years without, I got a dog back in February. She was nine months old at the time and had never really been shown love and attention, she’d lived in a kennel in an out house a smelled pretty terrible, but she was just beautiful, and we bonded the moment we met, she’s my shadow now.

Contrary to popular belief for Dachshunds, she’s taken really well to house training, and apart from when she was unwell, we haven’t had any accidents since the day I collected her. She’s very loving and totally non aggressive, even with her soft toys, just a brilliant little dog. Her name is Lola.

qf0kwh9.jpg

did she used to be a showgirl ?

Two photos from July last year and last week showing how Lu has come from being a shy crushed violet, to a completely contended and happy little dog, who, for all that, she being at the extreme end of Terrier geniality these days!

IMG_0778 by George Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1914 by George Johnson, on Flickr

The common factor is the mental strength of a little dog who is always determined to find a good way through!

Best wishes from George

Two photos from July last year and last week showing how Lu has come from being a shy crushed violet, to a completely contended and happy little dog, who, for all that, is she being at the extreme end of Terrier geniality these days!

IMG_0778 by George Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1914 by George Johnson, on Flickr

The common factor is the mental strength of a little dog who is always determined to find a good way through!

Best wishes from George

She's a very beautiful girl.

She's a very beautiful girl.

Thank you Ian, from both of us. She is a star! Easily the best dog I ever owned, or knew as a family pet, or indeed any other dog I have met. She has a remarkable canine intelligence dealing with novel situations. She handled a funeral wake for 200 people like a ten year old, like the lady of the house. I was family and accompanied the chief mourners at the crematorium, and Lu came into the wake and brightened the mood of the whole room.

She is really fantastic in the pub; she has a sense of decorum that could never be taught, even if going to a pub is a very rare treat! She wants to make friends with all new dogs, and has made firm bonds with a good dozen dogs she meets regularly. I am so lucky to have been granted guardianship of such a fine personality. And best of all, is that she is quite reserved with new people. Politely quiet, and often just a little more than not interested after a sniff of the angles. But she warms slowly after a few meetings. She is quite choosy of the people she really warms to. Her judgement of good people is instructive.

She is actually humbling in a way. I wish I was as nice a person as she is a nice dog, though she has taught me lessons in patience ... both with her, as she developed, and with people sometimes!

Best wishes from George

Thank you Ian, from both of us. She is a star! Easily the best dog I ever owned, or knew as a family pet, or indeed any other dog I have met. She has a remarkable canine intelligence dealing with novel situations. She handled a funeral wake for 200 people like a ten year old, like the lady of the house. I was family and accompanied the chief mourners at the crematorium, and Lu came into the wake and brightened the mood of the whole room.

She is really fantastic in the pub; she has a sense of decorum that could never be taught, even if going to a pub is a very rare treat! She wants to make friends with all new dogs, and has made firm bonds with a good dozen dogs she meets regularly. I am so lucky to have been granted guardianship of such a fine personality. And best of all, is that she is quite reserved with new people. Politely quiet, and often just a little more than not interested after a sniff of the angles. But she warms slowly after a few meetings. She is quite choosy of the people she really warms to. Her judgement of good people is instructive.

She is actually humbling in a way. I wish I was as nice a person as she is a nice dog, though she has taught me lessons in patience ... both with her, as she developed, and with people sometimes!

Best wishes from George

To look at she reminds me of Poppy, a jack Russell cross border we had for many years. Lou sounds far nicer to be honest but nearly all dogs make life easier to navigate and I wouldn't change any of the dogs I've had the honour of living with, this includes an unexpected resue I've taken in. He has a few behavioural issues and I was unsure if he would learn that we mean him no harm, incredibly despite his recent hardships he's making a lovely companion for me. I've found his affection incredibly cathartic after the loss of Meg earlier this year.

I agree, the calming nature that a dog gives to us by just being loving is very heartwarming indeed.

This was me last night, she is fast asleep on her back in my arm, legs akimbo, not a great photo, the wife can't take photos to save her life :rolleyes:

Dear AV8,

I can see Willow growing! Both physical and emotional! A happy dog can relax completely, and few other animals manage that, but once a dog trusts you, it really is one hundred per cent.

Thank you for the reply, and best wishes from George

I think that Marchbanks and I have finally tired Lu out!

This photo is just after her second walk this morning with four dog friends, out on the Washbourne at the low end of the Bromyard Downs, after twelve or thirteen miles of walking with Marchbanks and I, yesterday! Her claws are now properly short!

IMG_1961 by George Johnson, on Flickr

It is not wrong to say that a tired dog is a happy dog!

My mission is that Lu has every chance of novel social interactions, and she is wise beyond her age, such as walking through a farmyard [on the public footpath] yesterday with several territorial dogs being not provoked by a polite Terrier on a lead ...

These were paths less walked, but all serviceable ... Edwyn Ralph [VH] to Fencote [former railway station, Bromyard to Leominster line] and back, and later almost the whole range of the Bromyard Downs, with its unique orchids ...

Today is a rest day!

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Love reading these little updates :)

Yesterday was exceptionally hot in our garden, 33c in the slightly shady areas, a temperature guage in direct sunlight was showing 47c :eek: Consequently the newly bought dog pool had to come out, in goes the water, out to the garden comes Willow.

" What is this blue thing with clear liquid in it " she says. " Time for play methinks " she says.

The end result was night on 10 hours of non stop pooch play & discovering that she likes a pool & running water. It is a joy watching them when they aren't sure but then see that fun can be had :rolleyes:

20230604151815-8f17f917-me-2 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Lu, out walking with Marchbanks and myself yesterday! She is quite a strider!!

For a detailed account please look at Marchbanks' thread on his Virtual Walk, which it seems to me was real enough! And huge thanks to Marchbanks for motivating me to take a look at the beauties, absolutely within hiking distance of my front door!

Best wishes from George

Reactions: AV8
Are you feeding her enough?

Absolutely.

The vet is delighted with her. She is 5.8 kg, which is slap on the correct weight for her height as a Patterdale. In fact she has food ad libitum. She eats as much as she wants, and actually regulates this very well. She is not like a Labrador; they will eat as much as given, and then want to keep going! You could not feed a Lab on an ad lib regime.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Best wishes from George

PS: The nominal standard for Patterdales is thirteen inches tall and thirteen pounds. Lu is twelve and half in height and weight, which is normal for the female. [5.8 by 2.2 comes to 12.76 pounds so a quarter of a pound too much, by the breed standard, so well within bounds, but she is extremely muscular for a small dog].

Thanks for your reply George - it was slightly tongue in cheek but she does look thin in that last photo. My dogs are thin too but eat plenty - a fat dog is much worse than a thin one but I don't need to tell you that.

I'm not sure what you feed her but a dog that gets lots of exercise is probably best off with raw food.

Dear Alex,

She has ad lib kibble, and a little bit of whatever I eat myself. I only eat food healthy for a dog so as to prevent disappointments! I used to eat chocolate, but gave it up once Lu moved in. Probably good for me as well as I eat no other sweets.

She also has a regular supply of bones from Legge, the butchers.

I will agree that she has an extremely slender tummy, but that is emphasised by the fact that she was shaved for neutering a couple of months ago in this area, and her fur has not grown back yet. Last winter she was very shaggy on her tummy! I expect her to have a very hairy tum by November again!!!

Best wishes from George

Dear AV8,

I am struck by the almost exact similarities between Lu and Willow ... in the coat, conformation, and stance as shown in posts 351 and 352, just up from here. Obviously Willow has over-sized feet, which she will grow into, but otherwise they are just like peas in a pod! Yet they surely are not closely related, unless yours came from Herefordshire. Mine came from Much Marcle [once the village Freddie West lived] from travelers, and sold for the silly price of £850 as a Covid lock-down companion dog, which certainly is not a good reason to get a Terrier ... and it did not work out, which should be no surprise.

Though I could not afford that as a starting point, Lu is actually worth everything I am, for her life enhancing spirit! And by sheer timing and luck she was given me, though I spent £400 on neutering, which would have happened anyway.

She charms everyone she meets, and charms every dog she meets now she has gained back her confidence. She used to yap aggressively at other other dogs, but now she is stoic, sanguine and serene, and even the most aggressive other dog would find it hard to provoke her.

Terriers are naturally hugely strong mentally, and if confident in their guardian, a very good natured social animal.

Seeing Willow play with water drops ... well let me just say it touched my heart. Simple pleasures are worth everything really.

Best wishes from George

I have some unhappy news about Lu. This morning she had lost the ability to use her left hind leg. She was perfectly fine on our last walk out just before bed time. It was a terrible moment, not knowing what was wrong with her.

So I cancelled two appointments today, and got to the vet at opening time, eight am.

She has a displaced her patella, called "Patella luxation."

She has started a course of anti-inflammatory medication, and will be seen again on Wednesday. Then we'll have the news about whether she has recovered enough for no further action or, at worst, whether she will need an operation. The vet asked me to keep her as still as possible in the meantime. At the moment that is hardly a problem, as shown here just after coming home from the vet.

IMG_1982 by George Johnson, on Flickr

She has found a none too painful place to settle down, and has propped her rump on the edge of her soft dog basket thing. I hope the anti-inflammatory can reduce the pain soon.

This is condition that can lead to serious long term pain, which of course is not something that can be allowed. I guess that you can imagine how sad this makes me for my little friend.

Best wishes from George

George, sad news indeed. I feel for you both and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you.

In terms of her becoming a happy little dog, I have succeeded, but this is terrible luck for her. You know that you can have everything, but if you are denied good health it all counts for nought. She is a bit young for this to happen. I was talking to a friend and also dog lover, and she said that amputation may be better than the grinding pain of arthritis, which of course is chronic. Then to look after the other back leg with feed supplements, to reduce the risks ...

I would not countenance her suffering chronic pain for the rest of her life, but many are the dogs who have lived happy and long lives with only one back leg.

She was perfectly fine yesterday. The consequence of a displaced patella is that a dog cannot fully straighten the leg, and yet yesterday afternoon she was sunbathing absolutely upside down with her back legs sticking straight out, asking for tummy fuss. To see her in distress is not nice.

I am house sitting for the coming week, and it will be good to be in an even quieter part of my patch, to give the little one every chance of comfort and quietude.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back