advertisement

Lu's Thread

I never mentioned it, but Lu is tagged - microchipped. But you don't advertise it, because the tag is easily removed.

Lu is the reason I intend to out-live her with the most solicitous care. Otherwise I would not even be posting today. She gives me the reason to stay alive, not for me but for her.

I'll be ever so kind to complete strangers, but she has become my "raison d'etre."

Best wishes to you, Bob, from George

My Yorkie is tagged, essential for foreign travel of course, and vital seeing how easily she slips her collar!

Dear Bob,

It does seem like I may visit Northern Ireland, so that tagging is crucial. My cousin Patti's late husband's family wants her to visit, and since her husband died [during the Covid era] she regards me as her avuncular. A huge honour for me, and Lu has her home with a back-stop Pat's son if I went first, so I feel happy that if something unintended happened Lu would have two generations of great homes, ...

Perhaps I have have over-thought it, by Patti''s father did give me Spot [his father in law's dog, way back in the 1970s]:

IMG_8606 by George Johnson, on Flickr

So Lu is my second rescue!

Best wishes from George

A little bit of additional security for Lu is a new collar tag ...

IMG_2386 by George Johnson, on Flickr

... on the other side is printed my surname and telephone number.

Really simple. The message is clear. Not worth stealing. Bitches are stolen because they can be put to a high quality stud dog, and become money printing machines. If a bitch is neutered, then she will have no value beyond being a companion. The reason for this is that the vets made such nice job of the spaying operation that Lu now has no visible scar, so looks entire. So a really nice vet job cost me another tenner for a collar tag to deal with the lack of visible scarring.

Best wishes from George.

PS: Lu and I are going up to Lincolnshire next weekend for further adventures with my cousins Patti and Tim, when I'll architecturally reduce a huge apple tree in Tim's garden and trim Pat's hedges, for which I expect I'll be paid royally with high quality wine, and lovely dog walks in a part of the world that could almost be Herefordshire, except for the huge decommissioned coal power stations. Moth-balled, but on permanent standby in case of emergency.

Not worth stealing

Well maybe not in the rural space that you live in.

In our urban environment every pretty small dog is a target for theft. Here it isn't about breeding but about selling on for good looks.

Good looking spayed bitch beagle across the road was stolen for her looks, luckily the owner spotted the sale on FB marketplace and managed to get her back

Well maybe not in the rural space that you live in.

In our urban environment every pretty small dog is a target for theft. Here it isn't about breeding but about selling on for good looks.

Good looking spayed bitch beagle across the road was stolen for her looks, luckily the owner spotted the sale on FB marketplace and managed to get her back

I am safe from stealing for a companion dog out here in the boondocks! Everyone knows everyone and there are no secrets or real privacy of course! Bromyard is not like Malvern where people visit from the nearest major city, Birmingham ...

Bromyard is one of those backwaters that is rather unfashionable, so really not so different from fifty years ago in ethos, and dog stealing was not fashionable fifty years ago, though it happened of course. Josephine [JCB - a lovely Fox-terrier, photos earlier in this thread ] was stolen with her last litter of pups in about 1965. but it was very rare.

Fortunately Lu keeps well away from people she does not already know out on walks.

But yes. I am sure you are right that, in some circumstances, a sweet good looking neutered bitch might be stolen as a companion. In Lu's case that would be a disaster for the new owner ... she would simply escape and come home to her human.

Best wishes from George

Lovely long weekend in North Lincolnshire.

No photographs. Really it was not that sort of weekend, but rather revisiting places, and seeing family, plus quite a lot of work architecturally reducing cousin Tim's huge apple tree, which was fouling his and his neighbour's telephone wires and needed half the growth taken out of the rest. On Saturday I did the pruning and started clearing up the trash which was ninety per cent done when heavy rain brought a halt to work at tea time. So Sunday morning saw a resumption of trash clearing work and cutting about three weeks' worth of firewood for the winter after next out of the bigger diameter pieces.

This brought an opportunity to [for the first time since last Autumn, which was a nightmare for a friend who looked after the little dog] to actually leave Lu at Pat's house for a couple of hours. Lu worships Patti, so there was a good chance that she would not grisle or howl! Apparent she sat by the front door and whimpered for about ten minutes and then decided to jump om Pat's lap and give her loving warmth.

An absolutely brilliant lesson learnt by the little dog, as I was able to leave her in my own flat, completely alone and perfectly quiet and content when I got home this afternoon, while I carried my two bags of dog and human accoutrements up the stairs! Bingo, and an important step in making it possible for me to go to the doctors [or whatever], and leave Lu at home. Teaching dogs is more about patience than anything else, and taking full use of circumstances to make little steps in the right direction possible.

It also means that Pat would manage the little dog well should I depart this mortal coil first. Pat's son William is already backstop number two. We are a very dog friendly family, and dogs do recognise that rather quickly.

Anyway, just a few notes on Lu's latest adventures this weekend, for anyone who might be interested.

Best wishes from George and Lu.

I wrongly said there were no photos from Lu's and my weekend up near Gainsborough last weekend.

Of a dozen there are three charmers showing the more relaxed side of Lu. The first two are [I think] from after our first walk in Lea Park shortly after dawn on Sunday:

IMG_2408 by George Johnson, on Flickr

and

IMG_2416 by George Johnson, on Flickr

... not larking about but gently enjoying the quietude. She has bursts of energy, but basically has slowed down to being an extremely companionable little dog with a relaxed attitude to life.

Then one from Monday teatime when we got home from a fairly easy 140 mile drive home without incident:

IMG_2418 by George Johnson, on Flickr

This is my easy chair decked out for Winter with a Soway sheepskin and two Buchanan rugs. Lovely, really thick and heavy, wool picnic rugs. Lu regularly settles into this collection without bidding.

In many ways she has become an adult canine aged two and a half, she has shown a maturity beyond her age. An unusually genial Terrier.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Lu's ever maturing personality means that there is more fun and less worry by the day. In that way few really exciting things happen in our lives, so not much to post about ...

It is fascinating how far from the stereotypical Terrier she is. She has the prey drive to the point of catching things. She has caught a pigeon and a squirrel and even chased a fox, but she does not kill her prey. The drive is not followed through with the killer instinct. She is also rather a genial little girl. Not remotely interested in being some sort of alpha type dog, but rather one that prefers to rub along, or in the case of dog and human friends being incredibly loving. She is stand-offish with dogs and people she does not already know, which must be a good thing. By this I mean she is polite, and not remotely aggressive. She still can yap in an annoying way, and I really hope she does not ever grow out of that. But she is as biddable as a fine Labrador, but without the food consumption!

Another atypical aspect is that she is not protective of her food. I suppose she knows that she will never have to fight me off, as I share what I am eating with her as well!

The next adventure is likely a visit to Gainsborough to cousin Patti's for my sixty-second birthday in the next couple of months, but otherwise we have found a fantastic mutually supportive relationship. She is easily the best dog I ever knew!

Thanks for all the lovely replies on this thread.

Best wishes from George

Different breeds of dogs get reputations that quite often they don't deserve. Dogs will respond to proper care and training and become reliable, faithful companions that'll make you proud.

Andy

And she has plus bonus point for being acutely intelligent. She shames me with her wisdom. Please read the post immediately above.

Everyone who knows me says that she she has improved me as much as I have given her the room to improve.

I am blessed with a faithful friend to add to a handful of human friends still alive.

Thank you from George

I wish I could say ours is calm, its just not a trait in this particular dog lol.

Although of late he has taken to crossing his front paws which makes him look a little intelligent at least.

4dgr3d.jpeg

I wish I could say ours is calm, its just not a trait in this particular dog lol.

Although of late he has taken to crossing his front paws which makes him look a little intelligent at least.

4dgr3d.jpeg
Thank you Gary,

Lovely looking little dog! Thanks for posting. I hope others post pics of their beloved dogs!

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Lu on the weekly Sunday morning walk with Wody and Pie, and their carer, Karen, behind the camera. Lu is like most Terriers, very strong for her size. Here she is not giving back a ball!

IMG_2462 by George Johnson, on Flickr

And here she is this morning wanting to go to work ... But that is not happening. I fell heavily on Tuesday about 06:15 twisting my poor right knee and landing on my worn-out left shoulder landing on the tarmac coming down off the Common.

IMG_2482 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Instead we shall go for a good long walk and rest after lunchtime.

Best wishes from George

Lu is so photogenic, but credit is also due to the photographer!

Hope you feel better very soon, George.
She has such a penetrating, direct gaze. She should be a personality model for Prime Minister. Honest, gentle, kindly and wise. And with a sense of humour to add in.

She has been so good this last couple of days, keeping me in sight all the time. We are off now for an amiable ramble.

Best wishes from George

Been up to see my cousin Patti as a quiet escape from my sixty second birthday which actually is tomorrow ...

Here is Lu playing in the snow that came and went in twenty-four hours!

This is one very happy Patterdale Terrier, content in her skin and joyous for life!

Best wishes from George

Lu has been getting more and more muscular, if not fat. Her neck has thickened out, and her collar, which I have already let out two holes on the buckle was getting tight. Two fingers must easily slip into a collar at the minimum ... on its longest hole.

So yesterday I bought a new longer collar ... I hoped to get another black one, but the size was out of stock, so tan it was ...

IMG_2522 by George Johnson, on Flickr

I think a tan leather collar rather suits her now that her beard has turn tan anyway!

Happy Christmas for my friend.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back