advertisement

Ok. Here it is. Show us all your old cars.

I obviously don't know the full story, and there aren't enough details on your YouTube post. However, did he gave a good reason to be in a hurry? Was he a traffic cop under tuition? Perhaps more details on YouTube would stop the video appearing to be posted by someone with too much time on their hands?

Those early Lotus Esprits still look fantastic. It's a great design. I still remember being on holiday with my parents when the first ones came out and as a 10-year old boy I just gaped. It was up there with Ferraris of the time as an utterly unattainable dream.

Those early Lotus Esprits still look fantastic. It's a great design. I still remember being on holiday with my parents when the first ones came out and as a 10-year old boy I just gaped. It was up there with Ferraris of the time as an utterly unattainable dream.

I agree - the design of the early series one car is brilliant, just a shame with the S2 onwards they started bolting on more and more wings, skirts, spoilers, slats etc which spoil the lines.

Continuing the theme of Loti awaiting restoration......

Here's mine:

Dscn0761-640_zpsae0631b9.jpg

It's been in my garage for more years than I care to remember, but one day.....

Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo from 1985 in my mid 20's

Don't think they were available in the UK but basically the FWD evolution of the Starion.

Nice cheap, fast death machine. Girls liked them. Mine had a characteristic Turbo whine that sounded great in underground car parks..

The police used them as Aussie pursuit cars for a while on the basis of "...if you can't beat them join them."

6508680003_large.jpg

images

I had one of these in beige:

gv_creations_1137500809_fiat_850___1966__01.jpg

then one of these in yuck green:

images

and finally one of these in this red (but non-metallic):

OPEL-Astra-Caravan-TD--1994-1996-.jpg

After 20 years and 342,000Km, it has come to the end of its road. The Golf Club beckons...

Simca 1501 estate - awfully vague steering and died young of sill rust
Marina 1.3 - horrible but cheap
Fiat 127 - fun and died of lorry
Fiat Strada - universal joint failure span it off road
Fiat Strada died of rust of course
Maestro 1.3 - I learned how to repair the BL choke ecu, mounting crystals vertically on a single sided paxolin pcb in a car is a stupid idea
Citroen BX - ok
Alfa 164 TS - lovely reliable car, sold when I emigrated
Proton Perdana 2l - 10 years with no trouble exceot one auto gearbox
Kia Optima 2nd gen - so far very good except airbag clock spring which was a recall in the US. Nothing gets recalled in SE Asia

European cars are taxed to death in Malaysia, Skoda is a prestige brand here

My thoughts too.
Straight road. No junctions. National speed limit applies 60mph. White centre line spacing denotes no hazards ahead. The only hazard appeared to be the guy in the car with the camera doing 39 mph on a clear dry road , who appeared to move his car suddenly across the centre line, and without indicating.

Obviously more too it, but I certainly wouldn't put that on youtube asking for the other guy to have his collar felt.

I concur.

Only the swerving idiot (who did not seem to slow down from c40 mph when entering the 30 mph zone) would seem to be an issue here.

Back in the dark ages when I passed my driving test my instructor pointed out that when conditions allow (low hazards, good weather etc) you should drive close to the speed limit so as not to impede other road users. And said that he had students fail for not doing this. Has this been removed from the highway code? With concerns over fuel economy it would seem now to be "fashionable" to drive at 45 mph on very good straight national speed limit roads.

This would seem to be in addition to the retired Rover driver - the ones who wear coats and hats in the car, drive at a fixed 40 mph regardless of the actual speed limit (high or low) and if out after dark have the headlights on full beam, the interior lights on in the car (for the Memsahib map reader?) and slow down when an oncoming car approaches just to make sure they are blinded / because they have no night vision left.

The latter example is amusing - and these people have kept stupid looking hat manufacturers in business until the boom hipster years (probably we have done the same for vinyl) so should be forgiven. But the guy who swerved in front of an overtaking car should probably be arrested. Not only are they dangerous, but their seeming desire to need to "tut" at a seismic magnitude to impress other Daily Mail readers and Neighbourhood Watch apparatchiks should be punished.

How does one report a youtube video to the police?

I always loved the 850 Coupe.

Cute little device, but, in typical Fiat fashion, annoying little things would go wrong with it (nothing ever major, until the accident that ended its life). Fun to drive too, but noisy.

Cute little device, but, in typical Fiat fashion, annoying little things would go wrong with it (nothing ever major, until the accident that ended its life). Fun to drive too, but noisy.

On my 1990s' Fiat X1/9, the electrics were wired in series. This meant the passenger side poppy -uppy headlight and window took longer to rise than the driver's side. Sorted it with relays.

Storming.

Stephen

The last air cooled VW I have left. I bought this car in 1988 and this picture was taken about seven years ago.

P7220023.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

advertisement

Back