advertisement

Ok. Here it is. Show us all your old cars.

The wheels from memory look like those that were fitted to the Jeans Beetle.
..and the GT Beetle amongst others. The Jubilee got lots of 'extra's'; its even got tinted glass but came with a rather weedy 34hp 1200cc which was 'interesting' on the longer uphill sections of autobahn.

..and the GT Beetle amongst others. The Jubilee got lots of 'extra's'; its even got tinted glass but came with a rather weedy 34hp 1200cc which was 'interesting' on the longer uphill sections of autobahn.

In the US they were all 1500cc from 1967 on.

In the US they were all 1500cc from 1967 on.

Its a bit more complicated than that. In 1967 they launched the 1500cc single port engine which was also available as a 1300cc single port in some countries. They then developed the 1300/1600 twin port engines but continued to produce the 1200 for some markets. In theory, the bottom end of the 1300/1500/1600 engines was all based on the same crankcase, whilst the 1200 was a lesser beast and in theory is not as strong. The US always got the biggest engines as fuel consumption was never deemed an issue like it was in other markets and so from late 60's onwards all US Beetles would have been 1600.

Oh dear, my buried VW nerd has just come out to play.

Everyone I knew with a Beetle wrecked them by sliding off the road with a front wheel skid

One usually associates rear-engine and mid-engine cars with oversteer, but at low speeds they'll understeer like a demon. Just plow right off the road with no response to the helm. 911s will do it, my X 1/9 did it, and Beetles certainly will do it. It's a helpless feeling when that "feature" bites you in the ass.

Usually only a problem in the wet.

Admittedly my Simca 1000 had much more sophisticated semi-trailing arms at the back, but the technique I found worked well was to quickly snap on some opposite lock, and then let it off.

This technique prevented too much pendulum momentum building up.

Never looped it.

Finally nearing completion(!).

IMG_2276.jpg

A gap of 15 years between having the body restored and getting it back on the road...unfortunately those 15years have taken their toll and the cost has risen somewhat. What a stuck valve can do just turning the engine over on the starter:

IMG_2274.jpg

Amazingly the head, conrod and big end bearing are all OK

A gap of 15 years between having the body restored and getting it back on the road...unfortunately those 15years have taken their toll and the cost has risen somewhat. What a stuck valve can do just turning the engine over on the starter:

Sorry about the setback, but that Sud Sprint will be stunning when you're done. What a sweet little car.

advertisement

Back