advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+10)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically underplayed when it's not your priority Sean. Brexit will be ruinous for some and will adversely affect austerity in many ways. The fact that some of the worst affected will have voted for it still doesn't make it desirable for a party with their interests at heart. Avoiding such a mess ought to be a priority for any party that wants to reverse austerity. Votes are earned if you are not already a slavish convert and Labour need many more to win a GE.

I have voted Labour at every election bar a couple where the Lib Dem was the only chance of unseating the Tory and will vote Labour this time - but I'm under no illusions. There won't be enough change their previous options if Labour can't focus on removing this nonsense threat to the economy.
The effects of austerity are much more significant than the likely effects of Brexit under a government with Labour's priorities. Of course if the Tories get in again that's another matter.
It's prioritising a strategy that might work, both for the country and for getting Labour in, over a position and a strategy which hasn't, doesn't and won't, and over the unhealthy prejudices held by the upper echelons of the party.

What sort of proportions of the relevant pieces of pie do you think will vote Labour?
brexit-chart.jpg
You're withholding your vote and helping out the Tories because you disagree with Labour's electoral strategy? Come off it.

There are a lot of people on this thread who are passionately attached to the issue of Brexit in a way they're just not to other issues, such as austerity. That's fine, but saying it's actually because Brexit will make austerity worse, or because it's bad tactics, just doesn't ring true.

You're withholding your vote and helping out the Tories because you disagree with Labour's electoral strategy? Come off it.
I'm in the enviable position of being able to vote sensible in my constituency, with every chance of sensible getting in.

Congratulations on probably your most patronising post for a while, Sean. And in such a crowded field, too.

You simply don't get, do you, that most of the people here criticising Labour's stance on Brexit are doing so because they really want to vote for them (and, in all probability, Corbyn). But Brexit is such an obvious clusterfvck,m and so obviously so very, very damaging to this nation, that it simply overshadows everything else at the moment. You don't see that, because Jeremy doesn't see it like that. It's not really your fault, that's what you're supposed to see.
Happy to exceed expectations, and yes it really is a crowded field: for instance, I'm continually told I just don't understand your concerns because of my membership of a personality cult. What kind of response do you think your post deserved? Crack on, and vote for your values and priorities. Just spare us any hand wringing in the case of another Tory victory.

Crack on, and vote for your values and priorities. Just spare us any hand wringing in the case of another Tory victory.
My values, though this will no doubt surprise you, are pretty much Corbyn's values (at least, as expressed in the 2017 manifesto), except that I find his stance on Brexit unfathomable. If we get another Tory government, that will be perceived as a Labour failure, not a Tory victory. And rightly so. To get elected, the party has to carry the support of the nation. At the moment, a large chunk of that 50% of the electorate that voted Remain is still asking itself whether it does. And not, as a rule, liking the answer.

. To get elected, the party has to carry the support of the nation. At the moment, a large chunk of that 50% of the electorate that voted Remain is still asking itself whether it does.
I'm asking myself that very question. I've been a lifelong supporter but if they persist in wearing their underpants on their head and shooting themselves in the foot then I shall start to consider whether it is time to get the men in white coats to take them to the funny farm until they get better.

I'm asking myself that very question. I've been a lifelong supporter but if they persist in wearing their underpants on their head and shooting themselves in the foot then I shall start to consider whether it is time to get the men in white coats to take them to the funny farm until they get better.
To be fair, Labour does have an unfortunate history of hitting the post when shooting from the goalmouth, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

The outrage about something so far completely imaginary: it's pure Self-Righteous Brothers, and shows just how invested some people are in the idea of Labour incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back