advertisement

Now the dust has settled - the Karousel

When the cirkus came out I remember keeping the first 100 black liner bearings and thereafter we just binned them. We must have binned thousands of them over the years.

when older bearings came in for service we’d change them out for free.

I can’t remember a single demonstration where the customer wasn’t totally bowled over by the difference.

There are some products that just sell themselves and all credit to Linn they’ve done it again with the Karousel.

His reply was almost identical to your post and he returned the Cirkus to his dealers and like you said the old magic returned.

I should have done the same tbh. I can't help wondering if it was the cause of a vague dissatisfaction I had with the Linn over the years, that led to its demotion to the office system upstairs.

I can’t remember a single demonstration where the customer wasn’t totally bowled over by the difference.

I can only assume that I'm looking for different things in music to them, then.

I should have done the same tbh. I can't help wondering if it was the cause of a vague dissatisfaction I had with the Linn...

It took my five years to figure this out. I was impressed with the Cirkus when I first got it but grew dissatisfied with the deck. Changed things, had it set up several times and eventually someone said to me 'it's the Cirkus'. Took the Cirkus out and it was like meeting an old friend!

I've had a few very early decks here and the difference is even more pronounced. The early LP12/Ariston doesn't have the detail etc but good grief it's a nice record player.

My LP12 is still on the pre circus bearing. I have no intention of changing it for cirkus or karousel until I am forced.

James, did you need the shim?
No, it turns out that I have a Cirkus Greenstreet, rather than Pre-Cirkus that I asked David G to send me. I think the shim is needed only for the Pre-Cirkus sub. On the plus side, my platter now rides at the right height, and I've got a bit more suspension travel. :D

I have no intention of changing it for cirkus or karousel until I am forced.

I would still like to hear it. I try to be open minded and give everything a chance so I'd like to try a Karousel deck to see if it can overcome the dissatisfaction I had with the LP12 in general.

I would still like to hear it. I try to be open minded and give everything a chance so I'd like to try a Karousel deck to see if it can overcome the dissatisfaction I had with the LP12 in general.
What are you dissatisfied about with your LP12?

What are you dissatisfied about with your LP12?

I sold it, I don't have an LP12 any more. I wasn't using it. Some albums sounded good but too many sounded poor. My CD player was getting used all the time and the Linn only for the occasional album.

I sold it, I don't have an LP12 any more. I wasn't using it. Some albums sounded good but too many sounded poor. My CD player was getting used all the time and the Linn only for the occasional album.
My experience is the opposite. For the longest time, I could not find a CD source that equalled, let alone better, my LP12. The Densen B-400XS got closest, and I still regard its successor (B-440XS) not as sublime as my LP12 - and that's before Karousel.

My experience is the opposite. For the longest time, I could not find a CD source that equaled, let alone better, my LP12.

I'm the same. Struggled to get along with CD. Then I bought a Saturn-R. Then I plugged it into a Rega DAC. Now if I never played another LP in my life it wouldn't bother me. Playing London Grammar just now and it's wonderful.

Is it better than the LP12? Most of the time, yes. The Linn still edged it on a few records, just, but the Rega plays everything you throw at it.

I tend to use my LP12 sparingly, not because I don’t like it but rather I like discovering new music & CD is better for this (I.e. cheaper).

I’ve had a CDX/XPS2 for about 15 years, I really like & find I can switch between sources without any loss.

I am taking delivery of a ATC CDA2 next week which is a cracking front end to my ears.

Will be naimless in the next few weeks & may even treat myself to a Karousel.

No, it turns out that I have a Cirkus Greenstreet, rather than Pre-Cirkus that I asked David G to send me. I think the shim is needed only for the Pre-Cirkus sub. On the plus side, my platter now rides at the right height, and I've got a bit more suspension travel. :D
Good to hear you had the Cirkus version. Last time I communicated with David he said there were versions of the pre-Cirkus subs that had thicker bearing mounts.
Did you use a torque wrench to attach the Karousel? Lots of opinions on what torque sounds best.

Good to hear, last time I communicated with David, he said there were versions of the pre-Cirkus subs that had thicker bearing mounts. Did you use a torque wrench to attach the Karousel? Lots of opinions on what torque sounds best.
The GS subs that require a shim must be exceedingly thin on the bearing mount. According to David's records, he sent me a Cirkus version and he does not recall me asking for a Pre-Cirkus.

I did use a torque wrench, and tightened the nut to 3.5Nm. That also feels about right for a mechanically secure attachment. Have the Linnies been experimenting with a new version of Linn tight?

advertisement

Back