advertisement

Now the dust has settled - the Karousel

No, I didn´t mean a loose ball bearing, I could have sworn that I had seen a photo of the end of the Karousel inner platter spindle which ended in a ball shape, as do Michell´s etc. etc. No doubt the similarity ends there in the "shape", I have no idea how, what or why. The article itself openly criticised Linn for having taken so long to adopt this apparently "universal" way of making a good main bearing assembly. I just can´t remember where I read it. No worries. Obviously a Philistine review although it was extremely positive about the Karousel.

No, I didn´t mean a loose ball bearing, I could have sworn that I had seen a photo of the end of the Karousel inner platter spindle which ended in a ball shape, as do Michell´s etc. etc. No doubt the similarity ends there in the "shape", I have no idea how, what or why. The article itself openly criticised Linn for having taken so long to adopt this apparently "universal" way of making a good main bearing assembly. I just can´t remember where I read it. No worries. Obviously a Philistine review although it was extremely positive about the Karousel.
It's a single-point bearing the same as the Cirkus and the predecessor was. It's also pointed rather than hemispherical and basically the same principle for more than 35 years.

Really ? In that case, I´ll get my hat. Bugger me. Sorry.

Edit :

Just realised it was the Mober inner platter I read about. Oh dear ! Who´s a Prat, then ?

It's a single-point bearing the same as the Cirkus and the predecessor was. It's also pointed rather than hemispherical and basically the same principle for more than 35 years.
It's a spherical point, which makes a tiny contact with a perfectly flat thrust plate. As it wears, the contact area will get bigger, with a corresponding increase in noise and rumble. Someone will have the exact radius of the spherical bit.

advertisement

Back