advertisement

Nottinghamshire...

Depends which you are referring to. (not many villages left, more akin to small towns.)

Some have turned around, some are requiring further investment.
That's pit villages all over. I'm currently working in Carlton, near Barnsley. It's OK. Royston, next door, is OK too. However you don't have to go far to get to Grimethorpe, Goldthorpe, Mexborough, and they are awful. Really, really awful. They make the toughish bit of Leeds where I used to live look soft. You see the same thing repeated in South Wales, the North East, etc.

That's pit villages all over. I'm currently working in Carlton, near Barnsley. It's OK. Royston, next door, is OK too. However you don't have to go far to get to Grimethorpe, Goldthorpe, Mexborough, and they are awful. Really, really awful. They make the toughish bit of Leeds where I used to live look soft. You see the same thing repeated in South Wales, the North East, etc.
My mum is from Mexborough & it is a shit hole. I’ve been to a couple of weddings in Mexborough & on one occasion my uncle (father of the bride) head butted one of the guests.

My mum is from Mexborough & it is a shit hole. I’ve been to a couple of weddings in Mexborough & on one occasion my uncle (father of the bride) head butted one of the guests.
Nice. My grandad was from there, it was bloody awful in the 1920s and 30s too. He relocated to the luxury of Worsboro Bridge. Well, it's all relative.

One of the lads at work tells me the horror stories of present day life in "Grimey". Today's was his being kept awake at 2am because the drug dealers were fighting outside. Previous tales have involved him threatening said dealers with a fence post until they left with threats of returning. "Yeah, do that, bring your mates, I'll do them too." Nice . One of his neighbours, an electrician, had to electrify his Christmas decorations to stop them being stolen. He was awoken by a scream and the sight of a be-tracksuited thief lying on the other side of the road, shaking. It turns out that a coil from a car will generate very high voltages. Of course by the time the police turned up there was no evidence of anything being dangerously electrified. "Not me officer. I've had lots of things stolen recently though, I notice nobody from the station called about that. So while you're here... "

One of the maddest places I’ve been out in on a night is York

certainly is when the racing is in town. I have had the misfortune of being in York when the races were on, race goers are the most drunken, brain addled people i have encountered. Pissing and defecating in the street appears to be common...

I live in nottingham and work in the city center, not that I would go there after dark, but thats just because I am older.

Its not a bad town, some rough bits like any city, with lots of drug dealers catering for all the students.

Close to most places and far enough away from that london.

Pete

I’ve lived and policed the county for over 30 years. The facts from my perspective are that it’s no better or worse than several others. I include Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Leicestershire in this comment.

I’ve got on very well with communities in the north of the county from a professional level, and have lived in The Mansfield area all my life.

Any are can have no go areas.
Great. Am a hospital worker and thinking of relocating next year. Wifey is a Yorkshire lass so looking potentially around Mansfield / Chesterfield area as don’t need bigger hospital any more. Any tips greatly welcome.

There are several Trusts in the area(4 in total) and so I’d imagine the choices are promising for employment. The Mansfield area is a bit of a property trap due to its reputation. You get a lot of house for your money, but then getting something similar at, say, Southwell will cost you 25-35% more.

Last edited:
I live in Chesterfield so I'd be glad to give advice on good and bad areas to look at, depending on budget.

Sheffield and Nottingham are within easy reach for culture / shopping but would be a bit of a faff for daily commuting.

If you like walking then you'd be spoilt with the local hills around Chatsworth etc.

The local hospital is the Calow Royal which is a bit out of town up a steep hill. It is set in the village of Calow which is an old pit village and is a bit grim, although not as bad as some.

A possible advantage is that Avondale Audio are based here :)

The first time I visited Nottingham, I took a taxi from the station to the university. The taxi's driver's opening remark was 'Nottingham's not as bad as people say it is'. He went on to blame the high crime rate on wealthy students flashing their cash and expensive possessions around.

I was born and raised in Nottm.
I'm descended from a bloke from Derbys. (Crich) who moved his family via Chesterfield, (Unstone) around 1870... to a new coal mine at Bestwood, which is part of a former hunting estate bequeathed by Charles II, to Nell Gwynn and her offspring... who became the Dukes of St Albans.
My Great Great Grandfather is still planted in St Mark's churchyard at Bestwood Colliery..where he was interred around 1898.My paternal Grandparents kept the pub in the same village.
My maternal Grandfather came from Nottm too. He was descended from a line of railway workers .. mostly Signalmen. going back to around 1850. They in turn were descended from a Canal Lock Keeper on the Derby Canal.

I left Nottm around 1970..due to an attack of matrimony... but at least pre-Covid, visited several times a year. My family..or what remains.. are still there.

Nottingham is a great city, which seems to suffer from the selective myopia of the media, and has only recently been noticed due to Covid among students there...after previously being noticed as the origin of Dr Harold Shipman.. who I was at school with. Did I ever mention that?
The surrounding areas are all of interest, as has been alluded to above.

There is no doubt that the Luddites originated in the Frame Knitting areas around Nottm. Read 'The Luddites'. or similar texts:

There’s no evidence Ludd actually existed—like Robin Hood, he was said to reside in Sherwood Forest—but he eventually became the mythical leader of the movement. The protestors claimed to be following orders from “General Ludd,” and they even issued manifestoes and threatening letters under his name.

The first major instances of machine breaking took place in 1811 in Nottingham, and the practice soon spread across the English countryside. Machine-breaking Luddites attacked and burned factories, and in some cases they even exchanged gunfire with company guards and soldiers. The workers hoped their raids would deter employers from installing expensive machinery, but the British government instead moved to quash the uprisings by making machine-breaking punishable by death.
Nottingham is in the south of the County of Notts. The area to the North is largely comprised of 'The Dukeries'., which are dismissed at your peril.

Go for it.. Or as we we say.. 'Gufforit Miduck'

P.S. Last time I looked.. Grimethorpe and Mexboro were in South Yorks, not Notts.​

Reactions: Cav

advertisement

Back