advertisement

Nottinghamshire...

Nearby in Melton, years ago. Nice place. Nottingham is great. Other bits, like the old pit villages, less so.

If you’re exploring that part of the world, some of the most beautiful countryside I’ve ever seen is in Rutland.

Other bits, like the old pit villages, less so.

Depends which you are referring to. (not many villages left, more akin to small towns.)

Some have turned around, some are requiring further investment.

Nottinghamshire reaches further North than some folk think, past Sheffield. It changes quite a lot from East to West and North to South in its 'feel.'
It seems to get flatter the closer to Lincolnshire you get. I live near the Derbyshire border, were it gets hillier.
London is about 1hr. 20 mins. from Newark-on-Trent by train, but takes about 30 mins.+ more from Nottingham.

It is arguable that the Luddite (and early union movement) began in Nottinghamshire, Arkwright Mills and (arguably) the industrial revolution beginning close by in Cromford.

I am sure there are better counties, as I am sure there are worse...

Great. Am a hospital worker and thinking of relocating next year. Wifey is a Yorkshire lass so looking potentially around Mansfield / Chesterfield area as don’t need bigger hospital any more. Any tips greatly welcome.

Great. Am a hospital worker and thinking of relocating next year. Wifey is a Yorkshire lass so looking potentially around Mansfield / Chesterfield area as don’t need bigger hospital any more. Any tips greatly welcome.

My daughter (R.N.) works at Kings Mill and I trained and used to work there. It is a good hospital.

I also used to work at Chesterfield Royal Hospital, and Nottm. City.
Queens Medical Centre is a pain to commute to, and I personally don't like the building.

PM me with area's you are interested in, and I will be honest...

Look at the Robin Hood line (railway) it has easy access to Nottingham, and house prices are cheaper than in the city.

My daughter (R.N.) works at Kings Mill and I trained and used to work there. It is a good hospital.

I also used to work at Chesterfield Royal Hospital, and Nottm. City.
Queens Medical Centre is a pain to commute to, and I personally don't like the building.

PM me with area's you are interested in, and I will be honest...

Look at the Robin Hood line (railway) it has easy access to Nottingham, and house prices are cheaper than in the city.
Most of my family still live in Chesterfield.

It's a good little spot even if, like many Northern towns, it's declined economically in the last few decades.

The hospital is another matter; let's just say that several family members have had grim experiences there.

Most of my family still live in Chesterfield.

It's a good little spot even if, like many Northern towns, it's declined economically in the last few decades.

The hospital is another matter; let's just say that several family members have had grim experiences there.

It would be unprofessional of me to comment on the hospital.

Lived there for 40 years and sadly, now very glad to be out! City has been seriously underinvested with the shopping malls an embarrassment. Nottingham used to be renowned for its shopping (as well as it’s female to male ratio ;)), but its really declined and is a shell of its former self!

Hospitals are great though, although A&E’s sadly overwhelmed with drunks over the weekends (pre Covid)

Had my far share of scrapes as well, just seemed one of those cities where trouble was always around the corner

I did also have a lot of good times and memories, but would be in no rush to return.

Travel half an hour or so out of Nottingham to the Peaks (Matlock, Crich, Dovedale etc.) for some truly beautiful countryside

Lived there for 40 years and sadly, now very glad to be out! City has been seriously underinvested with the shopping malls an embarrassment. Nottingham used to be renowned for its shopping (as well as it’s female to male ratio ;)), but its really declined and is a shell of its former self!

Hospitals are great though, although A&E’s sadly overwhelmed with drunks over the weekends (pre Covid)

Had my far share of scrapes as well, just seemed one of those cities where trouble was always around the corner

I did also have a lot of good times and memories, but would be in no rush to return.

Travel half an hour or so out of Nottingham to the Peaks (Matlock, Crich, Dovedale etc.) for some truly beautiful countryside
I haven’t visited Nottingham for ages, used to really like it & Selectadisc was amazing.

The central square seems to be a magnet for trouble with different drunken groups converging upon it.

I live East of Nottingham in the Vale of Belvoir, beautiful area. But like everywhere getting too much building and new estates.

Really? When? It's where they put the christmas market FFS so it's hardly the bronx!
On a night, all the pubs kicking out, people heading down to nightclubs etc. They don’t care where the Xmas market is. I think Nottingham has always been a bit lively.

One of the maddest places I’ve been out in on a night is York, things change after sunset.

advertisement

Back