advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

I spoke with Adam at NA and he gave me the solution to my issue. There's no mechanism to increase the height of the arm lift or the amount of rise available from the lever. What you can do is lower the height of the unipivot itself which, given the relative distances, lifts the cartridge end quite a bit (and then requires a small tweak to VTA). I've undoubtedly overdone it a bit (I guess now similar to Mike) but am happy so won't explore whether you can 'lift' the unipivot! From Adam's tone I suspect that they'd rather users didn't make this adjustment frivolously.

What you can do is lower the height of the unipivot itself which, given the relative distances, lifts the cartridge end quite a bit (and then requires a small tweak to VTA).
Don't follow this, as VTA determines the height of the arm relative to the record; get this right and everything else falls into place. My VTA is correct yet I have a fair old distance for the arm to fall when flicking the lever; too much i.m.o.

There is a little hole in the lift/lowering device (which is awkward to fully inspect for me); it looks like a grub screw hole but obv. (from your info.) is not. However, there's precious little latitude on the pillar to accommodate moving it anyway (with VTA reasonably accurate).
I've undoubtedly overdone it a bit (I guess now similar to Mike) but am happy so won't explore whether you can 'lift' the unipivot! From Adam's tone I suspect that they'd rather users didn't make this adjustment frivolously.
Wasn't aware I'd overdone anything. Adjusting VTA is a user/dealer function, so not sure how one can do sth frivolously which needs utmost care.

Hi Mike, excuse my bad explanation - I'll have another stab. On my arm there's a hole directly under the unipivot behind the bias weight. If you loosen the allen bolt in this hole you can adjust the height of the unipivot in relation to the armboard/armrest (whereas adjusting the VTA also adjusts the height of the armrest) . By lowering this a couple of mm I get an extra 10mm or so extra elevation in the cartridge. I then needed to add the 2mm 'drop' in the height of the unipivot back via the usual VTA adjustment leaving a net gain of c. 8mm while raised. So rather than increase the height of the armrest while maintaining the height of the unipivot (what I initially hoped possible), you maintain the height of the armrest but lower the height of the unipivot. Hope that's clearer

advertisement

Back