advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

Not surprisingly, quite a few nom's for the NS1000 - very good, but I went for Gale 401s instead. The Yams were just a shade too analytical and a shade less involving to these ears.

The 401s are a slice of Hi-Fi heaven, with their huge scale and superbly 'out there' sound. Fast, open and well able to fill all but the biggest rooms with whatever music you fancy most. They aren't awkwardly big and can work great in a small room too, so long as they're angled towards the listener and kept away from corners. Add to that the unique styling (401A) and they make you smile even before the music is playing :)

Mr Tibbs

1) Beveridge Model 2 - Simply Awesome. Has there ever been a better speaker??
2) JBL 4343 - as above, but totally different kind of wow - flawed but too fabulous to miss out
3) Naim SL-2 - Like the SBL, but much better. Super-tuneful right across the range.
4) BBC LS3/5a - Like the Quad ESL but much better. Flawed but iconic for what it does well.
5) Royd Minstrel - Most fun for least folding. Everyone should try a pair.

My favourites: Allison 3s, 1s and 2s

Tannoy definition DC 10
Koss Dynamites
Royd Minstrels, great fun for a small layout

How can you like Isobariks and Spendor BC1's :eek:
+1 for the Mission 770's BTW. I've still got a set somewhere..

Hi Jez
I'm not going to get into a debate regards the Briks!! You either love or hate them....I personally love them!!

I've still got a pair of Mission 770's in the loft....somewhere?

Regards

Isobarik

My vote is also for Quad ESL63s. I've had them for over ten years now, coupled to a Pathos amplifier, and I haven't had any interest in listening to anything else. One of the panels was repaired by Quad, and I took the Pathos down to Vicenza last year to be serviced, but apart from that, it's been the ultimate 'fit and forget' system. I do have customised Mana stands for the Quads, which I still think were a worthwhile purchase. I'm probably wrong on that.

Benito Mussolini.

Material aside, you've got to admit, once he'd warmed up he had the punters on the edge of their seats.

advertisement

Back