advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

1) any Apogee upwards from, and including, the Caliper Signature

2) ME Geithain RL-901

3) ProAc D-100

Second the Mani II's. Need a bit of care to set up and partner, but I haven't heard anything better in their price bracket (and I've listened to, and owned a lot). To be fair to other speakers which might be enormous, I haven't even tried them as I know they would not be welcome in the main room of the house!

Andrewken, good to feel that I'm not alone in my recommendation

When I got mine, 14 years ago in the US, I had done some extensive listening, including Martin Logans, Quads, Wilson Watt/Puppies and couldn't find anything I liked more, although some Thiels came close.

Big speakers don't work for me, even though I grew up with JBL 4343s. I keep coming back to mini monitors ;-)

Some of my favorites that I've heard in no particular order. Assuming they're driven correctly and are in a proper space...

Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelf (I own them and will never get rid of them)
Totem Arro
Totem Mani-2
Vandersteen 2CE
Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus
Verity Parsifal Ovation
ATC SCM 12
Audio Physic Tempo (too many good versions to name one)
Harbeth P3ESR and the next model up
Linn Katan
Dynaudio Focus 110
Magnepan MMG

Most of those are pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. I've heard far more expensive speakers, but these have stood out to my ears.

Vintage greats that I wouldn't be able to live with day in and day out as my main speakers...
Quad ESL
BBC 3/5a
Klipsch LaScala
Linn Kans
Naim SBL
Magnepan 1.3 or something like that

Their are so many more great speakers. Maybe this should be divided between current speakers and out of production speakers?

Some of my favorites that I've heard in no particular order. Assuming they're driven correctly and are in a proper space...

Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelf (I own them and will never get rid of them)
Totem Arro
Totem Mani-2
Vandersteen 2CE
Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus
Verity Parsifal Ovation
ATC SCM 12
Audio Physic Tempo (too many good versions to name one)
Harbeth P3ESR and the next model up
Linn Katan
Dynaudio Focus 110
Magnepan MMG

Most of those are pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. I've heard far more expensive speakers, but these have stood out to my ears.

Vintage greats that I wouldn't be able to live with day in and day out as my main speakers...
Quad ESL
BBC 3/5a
Klipsch LaScala
Linn Kans
Naim SBL

Their are so many more great speakers. Maybe this should be divided between current speakers and out of production speakers?

Stu, can you narrow it down a bit?

Louballoo

Quad ESL
BBC 3/5a
Klipsch LaScala
Linn Kans
Naim SBL

I would agree with that list, currently running SBL, about to go active.

That is a hard list to beat, new or old.

Nominate:

Dynaudio Confidence 5 (My current speakers)

Second:

Naim SBLs
Hebrook HB2 (I had HB2Rs as my first set of speakers. Had to go to SBL money to better them. Ten times more expensive if memory serves)

just one?!?!

just one speaker?!?!

what about all me other favourites?!

Ok, if only one I will go with the Living Voice Olympian.

It is..

30% bonkers
40% not quite what I would do, but close.
100% wonderful.

Although the speakers that gave me most pleasure were the Mordaunt Short MS 10s -

Kevin

Friend of mine had these at college and an old Nad amp and cd player.

Excellent fun all day and night :D

Except he'd play classical mega loud on a Sunday morning. Bastard.

I wonder what criteria people are using for the ''top speaker of all time'' nomination?

I am seeing lots of people nominate little box speakers with twenty quid drive units.

Is the criteria ''the speaker that gave me the most pleasure for so many years'' - or is it ''the best speaker that has ever been made'' ?

just one?!?!

just one speaker?!?!

what about all me other favourites?!

Ok, if only one I will go with the Living Voice Olympian.

It is..

30% bonkers
40% not quite what I would do, but close.
100% wonderful.

+1

Would be happy with Khorns with a few mods, Westminsters or some Cessaro Horns....sigh.;)

I wonder what criteria people are using for the ''top speaker of all time'' nomination?

I am seeing lots of people nominate little box speakers with twenty quid drive units.

Is the criteria ''the speaker that gave me the most pleasure for so many years'' - or is it ''the best speaker that has ever been made'' ?

I think a lot relate 'best ever' to 'best they have ever owned'. That's crazy; it means if I were voting for the best car ever, I'd end up with the 2002 Honda Civic.

I think a lot relate 'best ever' to 'best they have ever owned'. That's crazy; it means if I were voting for the best car ever, I'd end up with the 2002 Honda Civic.

The trouble is, unless you've heard it, or better still, lived with it, how can you make a proper assessment of it? I've worked for a number of hifi companies over the years yet still cannot really comment on some extremely highly thought of products. You can only really have a properly informed opinion on something you have good experience of.

The trouble is, unless you've heard it, or better still, lived with it, how can you make a proper assessment of it? I've worked for a number of hifi companies over the years yet still cannot really comment on some extremely highly thought of products. You can only really have a properly informed opinion on something you have good experience of.

As an addition to the above, it's worth pointing out that the 25 "top" speakers of all time may not be necessarily from the high end category. Who knows, a dealer may well come on here and vote for the KEF Coda 7 because more people bought them than anything else. The fact I don't like them has nothing to do with it.

ESL 63.

ESL 57 was good and original but has some major limitations. The 63 took it to a level to compete with nearly any speaker.

I'd also nominate the MEG RL901K as the best I have heard.

advertisement

Back