advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

1. Apogees (Stage, Mini Grand, Diva, Scintilla). Just astonishing. Quad owners would cry. Not worth the hassle these days.
J
I can't think of anything else that does what the Apogees do, though - other than maybe Graz's high efficiency version. So for me, you just put up with the need for silly amps.

I nominate Electro Voice Patricians.

20hz to 20khz +/- 2dbs. 103 db/2.83v/1m efficiency. Nominal 16 ohm impedance. Power handling of 50 watts continuous, 150 watts pulsed. Easy conversion from passive amplification to active bi tri or quad amping via jumpers at the rear of the speakers. Level controls on rear panel for adjusting the relative volume of each drive unit to suit positioning, the room and personal preference. Lightweight 30” bass drivers in an airtight enclosure with a throated mouth in a corner horn arrangement.

Here the Patrician IV with 18" woofers (Patrician 700/800 had the 30" apparently):

117-16.jpg

117-17.jpg

The best I've heard is my own Tannoy MG15 in Lockwood boxes and some ATC SCM100 at a dealer. Have a sneaking suspicion though that the big Apogees will beat all comers handily under optimal conditions.

I nominate Electro Voice Patricians.

20hz to 20khz +/- 2dbs. 103 db/2.83v/1m efficiency. Nominal 16 ohm impedance. Power handling of 50 watts continuous, 150 watts pulsed. Easy conversion from passive amplification to active bi tri or quad amping via jumpers at the rear of the speakers. Level controls on rear panel for adjusting the relative volume of each drive unit to suit positioning, the room and personal preference. Lightweight 30” bass drivers in an airtight enclosure with a throated mouth in a corner horn arrangement.

I refuse to believe that they came anywhere near meeting the ±2dB claim. Can you produce a chart? One that didn't come from the EV PR department?

AR speakers used to come with charts that were total fabrications of the PR dept too.

You seriously don't believe this? They are about 15dB down on what proper PA speakers are asked to deliver from that sized enclosure. I don't know many sound engineers that would want to be loading these off the lorry for a proper live gig. Maybe a quiet Jazz gig or something. Bet they sound sweet at home though :)

I don't know their absolute output potential(the bass drivers are barely twitching even playing loud), ive only had them a few weeks. But i do know that ATC's specifications are usually conservative, and you have to take into account that the big ATC actives generally have another 10db dynamic headroom over their continuous SPL rating.
Most other speakers SPL ratings are usually maximum peak SPL.
The specifications state 116db max continuous, so its possible that they will achieve 126db peak. That's concert volume levels.

They do sound good at home though :)

25+ years ago i auditioned around 6 different sets of speakers up to £700 (which was a lot in those days!!)- epos / monitor audio / kef/ mission
Cut a long story short the last dem of the day was the smallest speaker - and blew everything else away by a country mile!!--- The fabulous Linn Kan Mk1

Lately the only speaker that has given me that same sense of excitement has been
Shahinian ARc- fabulously good speaker

I refuse to believe that they came anywhere near meeting the ±2dB claim. Can you produce a chart? One that didn't come from the EV PR department?

AR speakers used to come with charts that were total fabrications of the PR dept too.

For sure, it depends what sort of smoothing is used in arriving at these figures.

Let's be fussy and call it it +/- 3dbs or 4 dbs. Regardless of what figures you want to use, subjectively they have a remarkably extended and neutral frequency response.

For sure, it depends what sort of smoothing is used in arriving at these figures.

Let's be fussy and call it it +/- 3dbs or 4 dbs. Regardless of what figures you want to use, subjectively they have a remarkably extended and neutral frequency response.

And that has no guarantee they sound good. Of all the components in a system the measurement of a speaker has the least impact on sound.

I'll add to the Quad 63 on the basis that the 98x and 2x05 are essentially just newer 63s.

(but the 57 deserves some respect for being the predecessor)

I'd add:

Meridian DSP-8000 - as opposite to horn / valve as you can get but an astonishingly realistic sound from digital sources.

Mission 70. Not because they sound good but they must have been the first step on the upgrade ladder for a lot of hifi nuts.

advertisement

Back