advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

So I nominate the Infinity IRS V. If you want a new loudspeaker, the Avantgarde Trios. If you want a new British speaker, probably the B&W 600 diamond, but only if they get some bass reinforcement.

The rest are toys. You know, for kids.

Always wanted to hear IRS as they look fun, but my gut feeling is they'd be pretty horrible as I can't see the tweeter array digging down too low, so that means they'd be crossed over to the array of bass units quite high up, and as they are both in different towers I'd imagine the phase error to be horrific, doubling, suckouts, comb effects etc. I'd like to be proved wrong though. I've heard the Avantgarde Trios, and again, fun, but I couldn't live with the lack of integration. They probably need a far bigger room than I've heard them in though (some show or other). The bass was a complete mess too.

For horns I'd love to hear some of the classic two-way Altecs, e.g. VOTT.

I nominate Briks.

At the risk of total credibility loss.

Unconventional, coloured, difficult, heavy, dubious stereo image.

But, given adequate amplification, utterly stunning

and yet another vote, this time from me, for the H2 - 20 plus years on and they still sound brilliant. One of the few constants in my system

I nominate the Naim Ovator S400

I also nominate the B&W DM602s3 - maybe only a 300 quid speaker but for putting a smile on my face not much has come close. superb

for a third I nominate the B&W 801's with the 15 inch driver as opposed to the 800's twin 12's) - my sisters old studio had a pair and they were stunning.

Hi,

1) Shahinian Arcs
2) Active Isobarics
3) Quad ELS57's

Have had all three and still have the Arcs, magic speaker.

Cheers

John

Of speakers I've heard I'd nominate, in no particular order, ATC 150 actives, Quad 57s and 63s, Harbeth 40.1, Klipsch Belles and big Tannoys — all assuming suitable rooms and amps.

Joe

advertisement

Back