advertisement

New System Needs Speaker Stands - What do you suggest?

I think these are quite nice:

solidsteel_ss5v.jpg

(solidsteel SS 5, also available in black)

I have a solidsteel rack and the build quality is very good.

Unfortunately the speakers stands are not cheap, 600EUR for the pair, however relative to the cost of your speakers, I think it should still be in line. Other than that, I would seriously investigate something custom made.

Good luck!

Samuel.

I have "Solidsteel" ls stands and i am very happy with them. Nice design a IMHO they improved the sound of my system.

Maybe, does anyone know what steel section are used for stands. I assume Stainless Steel laser/water CNC would be the way to go?

All sorts of sections are used. I could make a set (I could when I had a workshop anyway) and I'd have made them from black mild, anything I could get my hands on, from a local engineering outfit as offcuts, then powder, which I prefer to paint in most cases. If you start asking for laser cut then very few people have the gear unless they are big outfits, and then the gear is set up for repeat runs so your one off is uneconomic. Better is to get the guy to cut it with an angle grinder to the right size. A new disc in a grinder will chop box section like a hot knife does butter. If you want stainless, again your life gets hard. First off, what grade? Most construction grade is 304 and it's ugly as sin and not that stainless. Food/chemical use is 316/316L, reasonably bright, but you'll want a high chrome grade of some sort so it's very bright and takes a polish. This gets costly and nbobody wants to supply short lengths of large section stainless, you're into minimum quantity issues. If you want a polish then your welds are going to have to be superb, so you can forget the stick welder in my garage, you need TIG, and that means skill and lots of laborious weld polishing. Are you sure you can't live with a nice bit of stick welding and the evidence covered up with a skim of filler before the nice man blows the powder on it? That's what Partington do, you can bet.

Jon, could you do some magic in PhotoShop for me and put some deltas on SL500's please

i'll sort something out later...

The stands in the first picture the German ones, at £500/£600 i dont really think that's to bad price wise considering the price of the speakers, they look purpose made and fairly slick to me. Obviously you could get some made for less, but your aesthetic OCD would get the better of you in the end! :D

I'm with you Spacey on the Soundsteel stands, the tripods. Chacun a son gout as they say in Lapland, but I wouldn't want them in my house at any price. I can see why they are expensive though, there's a lot of labour in welding them up cf some of the other designs based on 2 flat plates and a central pillar, which you can knock up in minutes.

Steve, do you recon the rolled steel section joints are filled and sanded before PPC'ed?

I'd still want everything laser cut and the top and bottom welds invisible with a hole on top to fill them with.
I don't mind sending £200 to have this done but I don't want to spend 600euros and then have then shipped from Germany.

Steve, do you recon the rolled steel section joints are filled and sanded before PPC'ed?
Yes, or more probably just polished with a fklapwheel, also any welds, PPC will only cover so much.
I'd still want everything laser cut and the top and bottom welds invisible with a hole on top to fill them with.
Why the reqmt for a laser cut? I can get a finish good enough for you to see your face in from a normal grinder and a handheld flap wheel. Invisible welds are easy, if you are a skilled welder then you just polish them out, if you're me you need a bit of filler (big deal!) under the PPC. Holes on top are 2 minutes with a hand drill. But I've never seen anyone cutting steel with a laser outside a food machinery manufacturer, and then only once. Plasma is pretty common, leaves an edge a bit like an oxy-acetylene cutter, but if you can get in from either side a disc is the fabricators best friend. Quick, clean and cheap.

Well laser isn't a must but i do want an absolute perfect machined finish without seeing welds, want it to look like bolted butt joints. Maybe have a plate fixed in the tube ends then screw the top/bottoms to them.

No forget it scrap that idea, i didn't realise how expensive they are!
I was going to say buy two bar tables, the heavy ones with cast iron bottoms, the top part that attaches to the table is usually a casting, so you could just cut the column an reattach the casting at the height you require, for the speakers.

luxor-bar-poseur-table-l.jpg

They don't look as bad as i thought though. Could you do your magic and make them go all black. As a temporary measure they'll pass ... these S/H sold on ebay for £18 last week. with £20 for delivery!

advertisement

Back