advertisement

New Rega Speakers - Aya

The Aya's are showing on HiFI Pig. Really good pics with a full side view.

https://www.hifipig.com/rega-aya-loudspeakers/

I’m still really interested in how the baffle is bonded to the back of the cabinet (e.g. is it a rigid or damped joint)! I’m sure Rega will have thought long and hard about it. I’m curious if they’ve taken anything from the BBC design school here, or whether they’ve gone the other way. They are certainly an interesting design, and 14.5kg for a fair-sized three-way floor stander doesn’t seem heavy to me. Certainly not a high-mass design. As a comparison a PMC TwentyFive24, a compact two-way transmission line floorstander, is 23kg (PMC), and I’d not class those as high-mass when compared to say Focal, Wilson, Sonus Faber and the rest of that design school.

What are the legs made from? What are the silver "buttons" above and below the binding posts? (sorry if answered already, on phone so not easy to read lots of pages!).

What are the legs made from? What are the silver "buttons" above and below the binding posts? (sorry if answered already, on phone so not easy to read lots of pages!).

Looks like the fastening for the rear leg to the cabinet, maybe even decoupled somehow. I guess it may be detachable for shipping.

These look great, I hope they bring out a standmount version, although I’m almost tempted to give the floorstanders a try.

Appearance seems suitably modern, and reminds me, from memory, of the new Linn 360. Could be a bargain at £1500!

We need a comparison between these and Linn’s £80k floorstanders in a typical living room environment. I expect eyebrows would be raised!

I’m still really interested in how the baffle is bonded to the back of the cabinet (e.g. is it a rigid or damped joint)! I’m sure Rega will have thought long and hard about it. I’m curious if they’ve taken anything from the BBC design school here, or whether they’ve gone the other way. They are certainly an interesting design, and 14.5kg for a fair-sized three-way floor stander doesn’t seem heavy to me. Certainly not a high-mass design. As a comparison a PMC TwentyFive24, a compact two-way transmission line floorstander, is 23kg (PMC), and I’d not class those as high-mass when compared to say Focal, Wilson, Sonus Faber and the rest of that design school.
Looks like the fastening for the rear leg to the cabinet, maybe even decoupled somehow. I guess it may be detachable for shipping.
No mention of feet attachment in the manual, although the knurled round nuts hint at that, plus the binding posts are fixed to the rear foot.
Having a look at the higher resolution line drawing below indicates a lack of fasteners between front baffle and enclosure molding. Rather the front panel appears to be formed to receive the enclosure edge. This would suggest a strong adhesive being used here, something that also acts as decoupling may be a bit risky long term.

The drawing also reveals an oval terminals/wires aperture within the enclosure molding behind the rear terminal plate/foot. This would suggest some sort of seal is necessary between metal foot/plate and enclosure, possibly doing double duty as decoupling. A tell for the latter would be if the knurled nuts have compliant washers fitted.

AYA_line.jpg 1600px:
AYA__line.jpg_%281%29_.jpg

advertisement

Back