advertisement

New Rega Speakers - Aya

Would be nice if there were some colours other than grey. Back in 2012 when I was after speakers I set my heart on gloss white RS3's, just after they were discontinued. Ended up with white Kudos X2's, but satin, not gloss.

It's the grey disease, will go nicely with a grey sofa, grey furnishings, grey composite front door and white Evoque on the drive :D

To further add to the nightmare, customers were forced to buy Focal speakers along with the amps :eek::confused:

Nope, in reality no one was ever forced to buy anything from Naim or Focal. Reading this forum (and others) you might believe that not to be the case, but in reality people had the option to listen to their products (as they do with any audio purchase) and then make a decision as to whether to buy them or not. The fact that some chose to buy them because it was the accepted that they were the best by many others rather than trust what they were hearing and then blame anyone but themselves for their own stupidity (while telling all and sundry how wronged they have been) is pretty much a microcosm of modern society.

I assume that Rega has noticed the (perhaps local) success of the Swedish speaker company Rauna, who has made concrete speakers since the 80's but was dormant until a few years ago when they re-launched a few models. They have been selling very well in Scandinavia at least.

Can't wait to hear these. Had RS3's and then RX3's, and enjoyed both, only moving on because, in my room, I couldn't seem to get the side firing driver to work in the room. Either orientation didn't sound optimal. These new models, I believe, don't have a side firing driver to worry about?
Appearance seems suitably modern, and reminds me, from memory, of the new Linn 360. Could be a bargain at £1500!

Concrete is anything but inert, an unsupported paving slab rings like a doorbell, as do most stone-like materials!

Rega are IMHO a bright light in a universe of dumb audio thinking so I bet they have modelled this very carefully and placed the resonances exactly where they want them (as they did with their ceramic platter). The cabinet walls look thin and I’m very curious as to the bond material between baffle and the rear cabinet. I’m expecting intelligence here; just from that cutaway sketch upthread I can tell these are not another brain-dead variation on the high-mass (MDF etc) design school which has made so much modern high-end audio sound so bad. These are actually interesting!

PS Interesting to see an ‘acoustic filter’ divider, I guess conceptually fairly similar to the thick felt ‘shelf’ in my ancient aperiodic-loaded Lockwood cabs.
Or like Naim SBL acoustic filter between the mid and bass boxes..

I really like Rega in general but I don't get that bottom protruding on the front, looks like the opposite of form follows function?

AYA_gallery_6.jpg

I really like Rega in general but I don't get that bottom protruding on the front, looks like the opposite of form follows function?

AYA_gallery_6.jpg
I think I can see potential for the function of the front panel dropping below the cabinet body; looks like it provides a sort of scaffold for the wider stance of the feet at the front. And may help decouple cabinet from floor. A tripod stance is certainly functional.

These look lovely.

It's the sbl/ibl/ariva replacement we've all been waiting for.

I'm really curious to hear how they do in the bottom end. A lot of rega models struggled with this, as well as overall dynamics. But these do look the part. Also the band pass implementation is pretty cool too.

I love the industrial design. Really curious to hear them.

I think we need a pfm rega factory tour and listening room session. Film it and the pfm glamour babes will do wonders for rega’s marketing :)

On Instagram, an interesting reply from Rega:
"The equal of the current RX3 or RX5?"
=> "These were designed to replace both models, However, performance is above that of the RX5."

They should say that, - I hope and believe to have same findings.

My preference has usually been #3 of the R/RS/RX rather than #5, maybe a room thing ?
Its pretty much the same speaker with difference on woofer and cabinet size.
Looking forward getting the new aya home.

Always liked Rega and most of their product range since Royd/Ela era, ...was it back in late 80s.
I remember friends sort of laughed when I've got the first Rega CD player back then, that changed rapidly when they gave it a listen :D

advertisement

Back