advertisement

New Rega Elicit

I decided in the last 6 months or so to go and have a listen to a few products that have caught my fancy - after a period of some years (Covid related I guess) of not stepping into dealers.

In this case I was helping a disabled friend buy a new amplifier - so a good excuse! His old Meridian integrated was beyond economic repair.

We had an extended listen to the Rega Elicit mk5 and this was compared to a preloved Supernait 2 and a new Atoll IN200 - which the dealer really rated. Rest of the system was Neat Petite Classic loudspeakers and a Chord DAC / Roon server.

I have to say all 3 were really good, musically satisfying amplifiers.

Differences were surprisingly large in presentation though - SN2 was quite dark sounding and very dynamic with some bass emphasis; IN200 was quite brightly lit, very pacy fast sound - more prat than the SN2 (surprisingly so); the Rega Elicit Mk5 was basically Goldilocks!

I thought the Elicit mk5 straddled the middle ground between the other two almost perfectly - tonally quite even but with enough get up and go to keep you interested. Very spacious soundstage and you just wanted to keep listening for longer. A fun session and my friend ended up buying the Elicit mk5, which is actually a superb amplifier.

advertisement

Back