advertisement

New Rega Elicit

I was thinking of replacing my big chunky Yamaha A-S801 with something that fits better in my equipment rack.
And I fancy a change too as well as a spare amp to sit around spare or sell.

Speakers are Proac D2 which I think should suit.
Any further experiences with the Elicit 5 or Elex R that users can share?

What is the significance of the ALPS potentiometer?
Is it better than the old vol. control ?
Is it better than the vol control in my Elex-R?

I had wondered about this. It seems like a backward step (sonically, certainly in low level channel balance) to replace a microcontroller based resister ladder (which I assume is what the previous volume was) with a motorized ALPS pot ?
Possible supply chain problems ? However I'm a software engineer, so what would I know ?

I had wondered about this. It seems like a backward step (sonically, certainly in low level channel balance) to replace a microcontroller based resister ladder (which I assume is what the previous volume was) with a motorized ALPS pot ?
Possible supply chain problems ? However I'm a software engineer, so what would I know ?
This is what Naim did when they replaced the 112x pre with the 122x I think it was. By common consent the motorized pot of the latter sounded better than the resistor ladder of the former.

(I have a 112x and it sounds OK-ish, maybe tending towards the ish side. I keep meaning to get a NAP 150(x) to see what the combo is like compared to Linn Kolektor/LK85.)

I was interested to know if the latest Elicit has any overheating issues as I have heard they run warm.

I preferred the look of earlier Elicits. I guess by virtue of having been manufactured in the UK the product justifies its current price alone, compared to the competition.

The competition includes two Hegel's amongst others. The H120 just above the Elicit's RRP and the H95 just below. Both superb, both with added functionality but both made in the PRC.

I've own/ed both but have not heard the Rega amplifier.

I was thinking of replacing my big chunky Yamaha A-S801 with something that fits better in my equipment rack.

I have the same amp and am also considering the new Elicit as well as the Marantz 30n and the equivalent Technics integrated. I’d be interested in hearing your impressions if you make the switch

i demoed the elicit r mk 4 with some proac d2r’s and thought it sounded pretty good. there wasn’t much between it and a naim supernait 3 , in a relatively quick A-B comparison.

Anyone heard the MK5 that may have compared to the MK4. Apart from Darko’s review, wondering if anyone in here may have had the opportunity to compare both.

I tried the Elex R against the Mk4 a few years ago, the Elicit was more refined but the Elex R more engaging and fun to listen too. I ended up buying something completely different.

My experience as well
Both fine amps, haven't heard the latest editions as I went with Aethos (different ballgame)
Aethos sounds like Elex-R on steroids to me. And the Elex-R sounded like a beefed up Brio. Similar sounding with obvious upgrades. The Elicit to me had a sound I didn’t care for. Which is weird as apparently the Aethos has more in common with the Elicit.

I chose the Elex over the Elicit and then made the leap to the Aethos some years later. Very happy with it.

advertisement

Back