advertisement

New PCB for shoebox size NAC preamp part IV

Jim,
you have a note stating your preference for these caps (feedback C114, C214), although your value got me wondering :rolleyes:. Did I miss something or there is a typo ?

On the other hand guys Jim has already mentioned (and it's written in BOM) what's his preference for C2, C110, C117. I don't think he's gonna change his mind (or ears for that matter).

Jim,
you have a note stating your preference for these caps (feedback C114, C214), although your value got me wondering :rolleyes:. Did I miss something or there is a typo ?

On the other hand guys Jim has already mentioned (and it's written in BOM) what's his preference for C2, C110, C117. I don't think he's gonna change his mind (or ears for that matter).

Nope, no typo. The value :rolleyes: mentioned in V1.2 is correct.

For signal coupling caps, by all means roll to taste.
I suggest the MKS2XL as these are what I use and think sound good.
By no means have I tried all possible caps - if you know of something that may sound better, please spill the beans :D

Jim.

I have trialed a number of different coupling caps in the fish, tants OK sound like Naim, MKS2XL beter treble mid but gray sounding,Vishay MKT1822 which are easily avilable beter than MKS2 but still gray,added 0.01uF Vishay MKP1837 as bypass to MKT1822 beter again but best of all is Wima MKP4 -3.3uF on inlet and 10uF on oulet.
The 10uF MKP4 are to big to go on the board so you need to fit underneath with flying leads.
Geoff

Jim,
because today I'm gonna order parts I have a question to your question:
you have some resistors in question about their value, is that all regarding to resistors ? I'm thinking of adding the extra value to my list just in case you adopt this

Well the build continues!

My mad travelling job has settled down this week and I got a couple of evenings free to play in the fffffreezing garage. Started the wiring loom and board mounting standoffs. Also nicked some of the kids "making stuff" foam card (about 2 mm thick) and used a couple of layers under the pcb to support it and prevent bending. I had also moved the NERT to the approved hacker position and placed a sliver of plasticard to prevent the NERT heat-sinks accidently touching.

DSC_8049.jpg

DSC_8045.jpg

DSC_8047.jpg

The HiFi Collective sent me a mail saying the 6way Elna selector switch is out of stock so still have that to do but a good chunk of the wiring is done now. I am going to mount the selector pot at the back of the case with an extension rod to the front panel.

Also I was scared by the stories of using a laptop SMPS to power the fish so I nipped down to Maplin and bought a little psu box and built up a simple linear PSU from the spares pot.

DSC_8043.jpg

Powered up again but this time with the new PSU and plugged an ipod into the temporarily soldered up din plug and the output into a cheap pair of computer speakers and Glory be...... MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC.

I am so chuffed, played it for about an hour and nothing overheating or doing anything nasty so next is to tidy up all the construction, finish the front panel, wire in the selector switch when it arrives and test on my old nap 90 into the study speakers. Last will be into the lounge and the nap 160 to its intended resting place.

Tune in next time for the next exciting instalment of Gareth's Starfish

Cheers

Gareth

Hi, Gareth

Nice one! Just wait untill it has burnt in! after a week it will sound even better.

Pete

Thanks for the comments. Bit more wiring tonight but still hanging on for the elna selector switch. Have not yet plugged into a decent amp or speakers so cannot give a review yet. Will write up here as soon as I get there.

Already planning the next project of turning my MC cards into a separate phono stage with teddy regs etc.

Fun this DIY stuff

Cheers

Gareth

Anyone got any spare enamelled wire? Or know the P/N for it from RS?

At the point now where I need it, and havent sourced any yet.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam

I have a load, pm me your address and I will send you a couple of meters.

Cheers

Gareth

I have just put together a NERT stripboard layout image, JIIM, do you mind if I share it on here? (it has component values etc)
Ditto with a closeup pic of the build one, would be easy for someone to reverse engineer from the pic as component values are all easily visible.

Have also built it, are there any meaningful tests I can do on it to prove its working as expected before hooking it up?

Thanks,
Sam

Does anyone have a couple of 10pf Polystyrene caps for C116,C216 that they could sell me please? I'm loathed to pay £10 at RS just for two caps.

I've just bought a few Polystyrene caps for C103,C203 (220pf), C108,C208 (22pf), C105,C113,C205,C213 (470pf), C106,C206 (680pf) and C107,C207 (100pf) so I'm happy to swap in return for the 10pfs.

Also, if anyone has some of the 27R WW resistors, BC550Cs, BC560Cs, LM317s or LM1086 they want to swap for 10uf WIMAs?

Cheers.

Does anyone have a couple of 10pf Polystyrene caps for C116,C216 that they could sell me please? I'm loathed to pay £10 at RS just for two caps.

Got some here, PM me your address and I will post 2 out for you (if your in the uk).
No charge, as others have sent me stuff free thats helped with my build. What goes around comes around. :)

But make a donation to PFM, button is up on the top of the screen.

Thanks,
Sam

I'm ordering (at last) some parts from Mouser and 20pf or 22pf polystyrenes mysteriously disappeared but they have some silver micas available. I prefer polystyrenes over ppl but about silver micas I just don't know.

chilly,
for that position most people use silver micas, original value I think is low 6pf or smth. Oh well, I think I've being over cautious about the whole thing.

advertisement

Back