advertisement

New PCB for shoebox size NAC preamp part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of the members have already received them. Perhaps another day or few.

shambala

Hi Shambala, the 6 extras needed have arrived, thanks for doing that... But I still havent got the original 44.

Been having a few problems with the post here lately, going to go and shout at the local Post office at the weekend.

Cheers,
Sam

Is BOM 1.3 a big change to 1.2, or would it be a fairly straightforward upgrade from 1.2.. If I buy the bits for/build 1.2 now will I be kicking myself when 1.3 is released?

Jim
I am holding off the build as Sam, waiting on Bom1.3, I am in no hurry what so ever, but could I start populating the basic audio stages with what parts I have to hand without being unstuck when 1.3 arrives.

I dont want to be pulling parts from the board, thats the bit were it all goes pear shapped for me with lifted tracks.

Decided to go for it and put together an order for BOM 1.2..
Just working through the order on Farnell and th BC550 is listed as No Longer Stocked...

Alternatives? Other sources?

Thanks,
Sam

On placing the second half of the order (from RS), RS stock the BC550c, identical part to the one on the BOM thats from Farnell, search for 545-2254 on www.rswww.com

Due to minimum order quantities from RS, and minimum order value from Farnell I will have a number of duplicate components when these arrive, so if anyone else is working on a starfish and wants needs some parts keep your eyes open in the classifieds. Will be priced the same as from RS/Farnell, but saves you the hassle of minimum order quantities.

Only other observation is that the part no. on BOM 1.2 for the 43k resistors (149981) returns 39k resistors... Is this an issue (ordered them anyway, cheap enough)

Thanks,
Sam

Does anyone have a definitive list of the resistors that are in the signal path or in the feedback loop on the symmetric Starfish

Also is there a schematic of the full board and layout available. I note the links in some of the earlier posts have evaporated

I have a couple of boards here from the previos release and it's high time I got on and built one

eddie

Eddie,

Send me an email, I'll sort out what you need.

Jim.

Could it be published here please Jim? I'm looking to buy a few Dale RN55 to fill the signal path.

Cheers

Oh and general question, could I wire my headphones directly into the output of the Starfish? I would disconnect the power amps mind you.

Jim
I'll bet you haven't finalized the BOM 1.3 yet but you can tell us if the changes are for something in main circuit (gain + filter) or something that has to do with PSU, NERT etc.
I'm too gonna order Dales and caps from the other side of the Atlantic and won't have something hand if changes are made.

Could it be published here please Jim? I'm looking to buy a few Dale RN55 to fill the signal path.

I prefer that StarFish BOM details are not published online.

Email me and I'll sort out what you need.

Jim.

Jim
I'll bet you haven't finalized the BOM 1.3 yet

nope

but you can tell us if the changes are for something in main circuit (gain + filter) or something that has to do with PSU, NERT etc.

Primary change is the new SNERT circuit.
As the BOM is changing, I'm using it as an opportunity to do some detail updates here and there. No biggies. Maybe a few minor R and C changes.

I'm considering reducing the physical package size of the resistors, simply because they are a tight fit at the moment. Have been shying away from this as it's a right pain in the arse working out all the new order codes.

I'm too gonna order Dales and caps from the other side of the Atlantic and won't have something hand if changes are made.

You are of course welcome to build the fish as you see fit.
Personally I am not a believer in 'boutique' components, and cannot comment on whether they will have a positive or negative effect on the fish.

I would suggest making the effort to get the little red 10uF wima mks2xl coupling caps.
These are mentioned on the BOM but the only supplier I know of is TAW electronics in USA.
There are sometimes group buys for these on PF - might be worth a look around.

Jim.

Jim.

Oh and general question, could I wire my headphones directly into the output of the Starfish? I would disconnect the power amps mind you.

Not really what it's designed for.
Depending on the impedance of your headphones you might get away with it but it's not really a great solution.
You could consider the method used in many commercial amp - resistive divider off the output of the power amps.

Well I have been stuffin and fillin the board untill I have finally got to the end of the BOM! What a pain wiring the chokes is! Following a hint I saw somewhere - might have been Hacker, I have fitted the NERT as close as possible to the ground connection.

DSC_8036.jpg

Bad news, my powered speakers have not arrived yet and I dare not test into my 90 or 160. I have been modding the shoebox case for phono's and locking Preh DIN sockets. The funny shaped hole is for the wall wart power connector.

DSC_8037.jpg

Nearly at that most scary point of powering it up.

Cheers

Gareth

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back