advertisement

New PCB for shoebox size NAC preamp part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All! I've obtained a new pcb and am keen to get this built, but want to do a good job. Jiim has shared his BOM for the "split-rail mode" preamp, and I've been given some 10uF WIMA to go in C2, 110, 117, 201, 210, 217 and have some 22uF WIMA to go in C114/214. Other than that I need to go shopping ... please could anyone having gone through this process please give me their advice re which direction to head in and component/mod choices? I realise I may have more suggestions than I can handle, but some of you have so much experience on the Starfish it seemed daft not to seek council.
Best, Uz.

I've been given some 10uF WIMA to go in C114/214. I have some 22uF WIMA to go in C2, 110, 117, 201, 210, 217.

Wrong way round.

please could anyone having gone through this process please give me their advice re which direction to head in and component/mod choices?

Dont get seduced by boutique components. They bring very little to the StarFish.

Good luck with your build,

Jim.

Yes, you're right....keyboard-slip, not component slip Jim, but better pointed out than not, thanks! I want a rock-solid build, and cost is important so fancy-dancy things are not on my shopping list. You know I'll be in touch...thanks Jim.
Andy

EIDT: Jiim, I corrected my error so that it's not possible for someone to make a mistake....

I built mine exactly as the latest BOM and in my opinion its an astonishingly good preamp as it is. I've compared it at great length to a 72 with acoustica style Hicap supply, and also to the AD815 preamp from that group buy, and the Starfish wins easily.

Points I'd particular single out - the bass is just fabulous - deep, powerful but also musical. Also just the overall coherence of it all - mine really sings on almost any material. Foot tapping and so detailed.

So personally I'd just copy the BOM for a start - its tried and tested and works.

Jiiimm - hats off.

Hi guys new to this thread and PINK FISH. I have tried to read all of the posts but it looks like the boards are very rare and very popular. Thank you Jim for making this unit so succesful. As there are no boards would it be possible to obtain the Gerber file and BOM to make a one off. Some of the threads suggest that there are a few instances were more space is required and that some of the components overlap slightly these could be integrated to solve these problems. I use eagle CAD. I would love to join this group and enjoy the benefit of owning a starfish.

Hi,

I will be doing another run of boards after christmas and will post on here when it happens.

If you are in a rush, keep an eye on the classifieds here on pink fish - unused starfish come up quite regularly.

Sorry - I dont release the gerber files.

Jim.

And if you need a NERT I have one sitting here unused - yours for the asking... PM me if interested.

Hi Neil,

I'm waiting for delivery of components from Farnell & RS so I can start a starfish build after Christmas. Have been reading through this thread and seen several ways of building a NERT. Must say I like your neat little PCB - it makes everything look nice and tidy. Did you make just a 'one off' or do you have any of the boards available? I haven't a clue about making a pcb and don't have the skills, tools or parts to make one.

I'll make it 'point-to-point' if necessary, but didn't think you would mind if I asked.

Thanks

Bob

Did you make just a 'one off' or do you have any of the boards available?

They were a "three off" actually, all hand made. I do need to do one more for myself and could well make a few extra if needed. They are so simple I'm not sure that it's really worth getting them made unless Jim's second run is large enough and enough people want them.

They were a "three off" actually, all hand made. I do need to do one more for myself and could well make a few extra if needed. They are so simple I'm not sure that it's really worth getting them made unless Jim's second rum is large enough and enough people want them.

I was kinda hoping that the next run would incorporate the NERT. That and bigger solder pads.

They were a "three off" actually, all hand made. I do need to do one more for myself and could well make a few extra if needed. They are so simple I'm not sure that it's really worth getting them made unless Jim's second rum is large enough and enough people want them.

How did you make it and what's needed?

If it's not too much of a problem I'd appreciate it if you would make one for me. Just the PCB - I've already ordered the parts for it from Farnell. Let me know the cost and I'll obviously re-imburse.

That is unless I don't need much in the way of tools and equipment. In which case I'll have a go myself but will probably need to be 'hand-held' all the way!

Bob

They were a "three off" actually, all hand made. I do need to do one more for myself and could well make a few extra if needed. They are so simple I'm not sure that it's really worth getting them made unless Jim's second run is large enough and enough people want them.

Very nicely hand made as well I have to say - my Neilnerted starfish is still improving - this is such a good preamp.

Neil,
If you do decide to make some more, i'd be more than happy to take one off your hands.

I've read through Jim's build manual (revision 0.6) and this thread and a large number of changes/adaptions appear to have been made to starfish. Some of the changes are Jim's, and at least some of these have been incorporated into his latest (v1.1) BOM. But so many things seem to have been done/proposed/talked about, that I'm a bit confused about it all - and this thread is at page 95 with over 1400 posts so far!

I know this has been asked in the past, but has anyone a 'distilled' and dare I say up to date definitive guide for the best build options?

I know it's all here in this thread somewhere, but for beginners like me it's difficult to sift out the useful from the not so useful.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your post - and your email which I will reply to in due course.

The build manual was written towards the end of the development of the StarFish PCB and attempts to describe most of the different configurations that a StarFish could be built up in. I didnt know what configuration would sound best at the time. I suggest reading the manual for background information and understanding only.

The V1. BOM represents my current build standard - i.e. what I'm listening to right now. The theory is that if you build the amp strictly according to the BOM, you should get a similar amp to mine. I hope it is the distilled build standard that you seek.

It is the 'final' evolution of the SMPS powered symmetric local-regulated configuration. I say 'final' as I havent felt any need to mess with it for many months now. Other people who have built according to the BOM seem to concur - although I always welcome feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Please feel free to ask further questions as the need arises - I'm always happy to help out where I can. I'll always try to respond to emails but cannot guarantee it will happen straight away.

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply - sorry about the long email :)

The V1. BOM represents my current build standard - i.e. what I'm listening to right now. The theory is that if you build the amp strictly according to the BOM, you should get a similar amp to mine. I hope it is the distilled build standard that you seek.
Jim.

Yes - that's exactly it.

I suppose what I find confusing is that people are experimenting with what you sometimes call '****y' or 'boutique' components. No offense meant to anyone who does that - it's the way improvements are made. But for now a good standard build is enough for me.

Cheers,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back