advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I join the thread a good last but with a personal curiosity that perhaps has already been satisfied: on a picture officially posted on the Naim forum, the new items are described as 'Engineered and designed' by Naim Audio. In my experiences this usually means manufactured elsewhere.
Does anyone has a similar perplexity?
Thanks
M

1160X700_Naim_NSC-222_Back.png

Looks like it has a phono stage and line inputs. Rather unusual for a streamer but I suppose it’s a streaming preamp, so maybe more like an analogue preamp with digital modules.

Of course we don't know yet to what extent Naim will expand the PSU range in this new series, but it would be good for consumers if they stick to just one format.

One interesting 'Naim thing' that appears to have been dropped in the new classic series that is the: NSC222, 300 PSU & 250 power amp is the need to route the signal path through the PSU.

A compromise in the new gear? or perhaps it wasn't actually necessary or even a good idea all along? :0)

The absence of a digital out is a loss of functionality compared to the old 272 it replaces and I think that this is a shame/ a bit mean of Naim, I have made a great deal of use of the SPDIF digital output from my SuperUniti over the years.

Looks like it has a phono stage and line inputs. Rather unusual for a streamer but I suppose it’s a streaming preamp, so maybe more like an analogue preamp with digital modules.

Apparently the phono stage remains 100% analog throughout the chain. It is separate and never digitized.

NSC 222 fails for me for two reasons: no HDMI input and no USB audio input (from say a PC). Right now my chain is HTPC>DAC>Amp and from what I can tell the NAIM streamers have never been able to receive USB audio from a PC. Yes, they can read a USB stick but that is something else apparently.

Well now it's here it certainly does look much better VFM than what it replaces, but actual performance is as yet unknown.

One downside is that it doesn't appear to be obviously compatible with the earlier PSU's. Assuming that's the case the problem then becomes one of it not naturally fitting into existing systems assuming the external PSU is necessary to get the performance on par with 282/SC's and 252/SC's.

It becomes an 11K option which might actually do less and perform less well than something like a Benchmark Dac 3 connected to a decent mediacentre PC.

Also if they're killing off all the previous classic series what's the new high end phono option? I presume people won't be entirely happy with just the basic MM. The review talks about an 8 pin din which provides power to the solstice phono stage so perhaps that's coming as a separate.

If it's true I think failure to incorporate an XMOS USB audio interface is a pretty big fail, but then again maybe not so much if it appears as a network attached streamer which software like JRMC could control.

I do wonder what the appeal of "An all in one" preamp such as this is over the sort of interface you get with a mediacentre PC. I think I'm likely to prefer the big screen, keyboard and mouse or even touch screen tablet over the control interface you're likely to get with this sort of product.

One thing I think DAC manufacturers ought to do is develop control via USB software so the PC can actually also replace the DAC's remote. Why have none of them done that?

I do wonder what the appeal of "An all in one" preamp such as this is over the sort of interface you get with a mediacentre PC. I think I'm likely to prefer the big screen, keyboard and mouse or even touch screen tablet over the control interface you're likely to get with this sort of product.

You can use the Naim app on an iPad to control it - it works really well - or Roon if it's streaming only.

Of course we don't know yet to what extent Naim will expand the PSU range in this new series, but it would be good for consumers if they stick to just one format.

One interesting 'Naim thing' that appears to have been dropped in the new classic series that is the: NSC222, 300 PSU & 250 power amp is the need to route the signal path through the PSU.

A compromise in the new gear? or perhaps it wasn't actually necessary or even a good idea all along? :0)

The absence of a digital out is a loss of functionality compared to the old 272 it replaces and I think that this is a shame/ a bit mean of Naim, I have made a great deal of use of the SPDIF digital output from my SuperUniti over the years.
The routing was the same with the 272, going straight to the power amp.

Sorry, folks, has anybody heard more about the 333 streamer (mentioned earlier in this thread)?
(BTW: What I'm missing in the 222 is a digital output (for use as source only). This was available on the 272...)
Thanks,
Stefan

I don't know if it'll be used this way much but balanced out into some good active monitors would make for a very nice system. No HDMI or USB is an oversight IMO.

“One downside is that it doesn't appear to be obviously compatible with the earlier PSU's. Assuming that's the case the problem then becomes one of it not naturally fitting into existing systems assuming the external PSU is necessary to get the performance on par with 282/SC's and 252/SC's.

It becomes an 11K option which might actually do less and perform less well than something like a Benchmark Dac 3 connected to a decent mediacentre PC.”

The NSC222 can use earlier Power Supplies - XPSDR or 555 but Naim have made new one to 2 tail burndies - see the Signals website - £529 to connect the power supply’s single output to the 2 inputs on the 222. Different for 555…

Also to connect to older power amps Naim are offering XLR to XLR interconnects - again at a price - £259 to connect 222 to legacy 250 or 300.

I’m not technically able to comment as that seems to be Balanced output to non balanced inputs…

On the Naim forum the suggestion was to use the RCA outputs to connect to the older power amps.

I’m sure Teddy Pardo and co are already working on solutions……

The preamp part of the 222 is all analogue and a new design using trickle down ladder relay volume control from the statement pre-amp. The MM section looks to be the same found in the SN3. The streamer section we have seen several times already and the DAC in the digital section looks a the same as the ND5XS2. The sum of all these parts will be a big step forward for the 272 upgraders. Where it sits in relation to NDX2, 282 and 252 systems is anyone’s guess at this stage.

the new 250 is said to have more power and be a useful step forward, indeed first listens of the new boxed are very promising.

There will be a proper release of the Solstice MC phono stage under a new name soon we are led to believe, also upgradeable with the new power supply and replacing the Superline.

As far as the range goes in the meantime the Mu-so’s, Uniti’s, NDX2 and Integrated amps remain, as does all of the 500 and Statement series. Pretty much everything else is being rationalised with this new 200 and 300 series.

It has been confirmed that the current Hicap, Supercap and XPS power supplies will remain in limited production for an as yet undecided period of time for upgraders of existing systems.

Last orders has been called for the 282, 252, 250DR, 300DR and Superline as all of these are being rationalised or replaced in due course.

It appears that a dedicated 300 series streamer is coming called NSS333 and probably a dedicated preamp to replace 282/252 and power amp to replace 300DR.

I suspect that in time there will be some more products in the 200 series, depends on how folks see upgrade paths from Uniti’s via the new 200 series boxes and on to the 300 series I suppose.

I think that i read that the new PSU will be the only one which will be offered for all the current and upcoming items. You can then add a second same PSU for an additional upgrade.

NSC 222 fails for me for two reasons: no HDMI input and no USB audio input (from say a PC). Right now my chain is HTPC>DAC>Amp and from what I can tell the NAIM streamers have never been able to receive USB audio from a PC. Yes, they can read a USB stick but that is something else apparently.
This is quite a strange reason, i think USB from a PC is the worst digital connection you can make. As for HDMI, it used to be a deal breaker for me a few years ago but got really used to the optical input which is also much more reliable than HDMI ARC. Maybe eARC solves all the weird compatibility issues though...

advertisement

Back