advertisement

New mono blocks from Teddy

I’m a big fan of Teddy’s power supplies and also his DAC. I know what I like in terms of sound but have no idea how this is achieved. Ignorance, in this case, is bliss.

I remember saying when I was comparing the TeddyCap with the Naim Hicap how there could be gerbils in one and falafel in the other and it really wouldn't bother me. I pretty much only choose bits of kit on how they sound and what value for money they represent in the real (expensive) world of good hi-fi.

I hope that one day I might get to hear these new amps from Teddy and see how they compare to my Avondale S100, which I bought/made in preference to my Naim 250’s and 135’s. I will listen and I will let you know how I think they sound.

Ignorance is bliss as they say, there's a precedent for charging lots for simple chipamps, so it wouldn't be the first time. i'm sure Teddy has worked his magic on the power supply, and that's where it counts.

On the flipside, positive reviews for the 47 Labs (Gaincard/Shigaraki) amps sparked lots of DIY projects, that can't be a bad thing. I think these projects got a lot of legitimacy from that commercial (relative) success.

Friends, just a little patience... I promise to write a document describing everything you'd like to know, I just need a little time...

Regarding the price, I keep the same markup of 1:3 with all my products, including the TeddyDAC and TeddyAmp. Given that other manufacturers use at least 1:10, and given the R&D investment I make, I think it's fair.

Check the price of WBT NextGen connectors which I use, or the price of electrostatic painting, or the price of 4 massive heatsinks, not to speak about the quality of components being used, it will give a rough idea of where the cost is...

Cheers, Teddy

I don't think anyone is really criticizing you Teddy, and we haven't seen the design, but it's not often we can have a 'free whinge' at something before it is released- and we do like to whinge.

S-man, ooooh I so wanted to fall in love with that AMR-77, it looked wonderful, the interface was sublime and the midband was to die for. Sadly that was coupled with polystyrene coffee-cup bass and treble that rolled off faster than marble down an icy hill.

So many opinions formed on such a small amount of information :(

"O Lord help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about"

I would reserve judgement until we have seen the design details and most importantly listened to them.

I have been playing about with some Class D amps and despite all the audio types saying that Class D sounds cr@p they are actually sounding very good; straight out of the box BTW.

Bit of a leap of faith ordering the amps though. The power supplies are very good. I'd like to hear the monoblocks.

red

I have bought a pair; after how impressed I was with the TSC.

I'll post a review when they arrive. I'm expecting them to be excellent, but if they are not, I wont shy from telling you.

I’m a big fan of Teddy’s power supplies and also his DAC. I know what I like in terms of sound but have no idea how this is achieved. Ignorance, in this case, is bliss.

I remember saying when I was comparing the TeddyCap with the Naim Hicap how there could be gerbils in one and falafel in the other and it really wouldn't bother me.

When designing hifi and amplifiers especially., we need to pay careful attention to the architecture of the amplifier design, most specifically in regard to what I refer to as the 'animal' quotient.

For example, whilst Gerbils and Falafel can exist in seperate amplifiers, when used together cross-talk and distortion produce ''stinky assed gerbil shit'' which is definately bad for sound.

I thank you.

Sorry for delay, i've just got back from holiday; but have picked up the amps today.

I popped home at lunch time to unpack and power up. I left them on repeat with some inoffensive music playing as not to piss of the neighbours whilst I went back to work.

First impressions are pretty good, they are very substantial pieces of kit and look much better than the pics on Teddy's site. They are dripping with quality and are suitably dense; makes my Weiss DAC look some what soft.

Just about to call it a day but have managed a couple of hours listening this evening and it is clear that using the Weiss 202 as a pre, into the TMBs, is a significant leap beyond my 252/SC/250.2.

TBH im not sure my original Naim equipment is an appropriate comparison.

I currently have a pair of Art Audio monos and also a TLA Shin power amp. Imagine the range and drive of a 252/SC/250.2 with the detail/warmth of the valve amps; then add a chunk more and you might be getting close. Now I have yet to crank them up, people are a bit on edge round here at the moment, but tomorrow i'll try some 'Prodigy Omen' or similar... But can't imagine them getting too stressed about it.

I have to lump some equipment around tomorrow as the builders are in, but should have the system back in a more suitable room for some quality listening. Only problem is that the TLA amp needs a bloody low loader to move it; comically heavy...

At risk of sounding like a cliche I am literally hearing music that I couldn't hear, at all, with my old equipment.

Pretty happy with the new purchase so far.

OK, spent some more time with the amps.

It suddenly occurred to me that I don't actually have any Naim left in my system - yes I only had to open my eyes, but I had the Naim kit long enough for it to have become my point of reference.

Clearly, whether things are better or not, they will be different; and different they are.

I make no apologies for liking the Naim 'sound' - it got me back into music. Yes it's a bit obvious and worse still it's a bit 'SONY Mega Base' or 'BOSE - how can so small speakers make so much sound'... But they clearly got something right.

What I noticed as I moved up the Naim range was the reliance on that mid-range lift was less prominent. The better the amps, the less 'Mega Base' was needed to fill in the holes and the underlying class of the amps was left to do their thing.

When I went from the 282 to the 252, I found the music had more detail; more space; it was more coherent. The 282 wasn't bad, but perhaps crude next to the 252: I now look back and think the 282 was a system for my early 30's and the 252 for my late 30's; the system evolving and maturing as my tastes did.

Once I swapped my front-end for the Weiss, I found a really clean source and started to enjoy the extra detail it produced. No colouring of the music, just what was recorded - but without the digital signature. I'll refrain from using the old 'analogue' reference, but it sounded very much not digital.

The TMBs seem to be doing the same sort of thing, but they are not a source component. Their skill is in delivering the music consistently over the whole frequency range; consistently well. No need to rely on an injection of steroids in the middle to make-up for the indifferent top and bottom bits.

It was clear from early listening that they were competent amps, but it wasn't until I had spent a few days listing that I really started to understand what was going on.

My first hour of sustained listening left me a bit confused. My music sounded very different. I'm not sure I recognised it as I remembered it. The sections that I subconsciously listened out for where no longer the step up in musical delight they used to be.

What I was now hearing was a parallel shift; the whole range had improved - more detail, more pace - a more accurate representation, maybe.

It actually took some sustained listening to reacquaint myself with my music: Now I was listening to the music, not snippets that happened to sound good on my system.

Naim do a very good job of drip feeding the quality to you as you climb up their upgrade ladder. I enjoyed it. But the TMBs require you to make a pretty big leap as not to suffer culture shock.

The amps offer a very mature and refined presentation, whilst having the attack and drive to keep the 20-somethings happy.

I have thrown a pretty diverse collection of tracks their way and not once have they appeared to struggle.

I guess the question for people will be: Do you want to jump some rungs of the ladder or not?

advertisement

Back