advertisement

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

dalryc

pfm Member
I'm interested in buying a new LP12.
Demo booked for this week.

I'm new to LP12s and may want something between the Majik and Akurate specification.
For example, I've a low mileage Ortofon Cadenza that would negate the need for the Krystal cartridge and cost of £1400 RRP.

Are the three levels - Majik, Akurate, Klimax - just bundled options without discounts?

Dealer I had a chat to said Akurate is the sweet spot but he doesn’t rate the arm, tends to recommend 2nd hand ekos or ittock. I would start with Majik & see if you like it, the sound signature will either work for you or not. Plenty of options second hand & even more opinions.

Have a listen to something like a Rega P8 or 10 if you can. Didn’t do it for me but ymmv.

For background info, I bought and Orbe in preference to a Rega P8 and recently got an old LP12 in basic spec.
The LP12 blows the Orbe away (in my opinion).

I've a low mileage Ortofon Cadenza

There are so many options out there that it's hard to know where to begin! (Choice is a good thing, of course.)

Given that you already have the Ortofon and presumably enjoy it, perhaps the PFM collective could suggest an arm that will get the most out of the cartridge you have while still fitting an LP12?

Alternatively, I've had an LP12 with a Naim ARO, Armageddon, ARO Kore, and a Dynavector 20x2L and it was great. (Since moved up to a Radikal.) Should be possible for Akurate money and with a good dealer. EDIT: unless you have a lot of 45s, then it's a non-starter, as the 'Geddon only does 33.3 rpm.

For a middle ground best value, perhaps something like: Lingo4, Roksan Nima arm, Kore (Rega fit to take the Nima) and reuse your cart. Don't worry too much about the arm and cart. The motor and PS makes much more difference on an LP12. Not sure if new LP12's come with a lid, if not get one of those - best upgrade ever!

Don't bother with the Trampolin (base plate) If you want a Linn fit arm (easier cueing for one thing), a good s/h ittok / ekos is a nice idea (not the new Akito!)

I wouldn't go with a new Linn package as I don't think they are good value. For example an Audio Origami PU7 is as good as an Ekos SE at half the price. The Akito is poor value and the better used arms like the Ittok and Ekos are mostly very old and no longer supported.

I would mix new, used and aftermarket parts to build a deck known to be a good combination and take it from there. Rather than try to get it right straight out of the box assume it will take a few tweaks and changes.

I'd start with a new Majik-spec LP12. It features the all-important Karousel bearing. Over time, the power supply and arm can be upgraded, but the basic deck will provide the solid foundation for years of musical satisfaction. If buying a used LP12, pay attention to the condition of the bearing. They don't last forever, even with the best of care and maintenance.

All very good info. I had not known that the LP12 path was filled with so many choices - both good and bad.

All very good info. I had not known that the LP12 path was filled with so many choices - both good and bad.
It has 50 years worth of development by Linn and also by third parties, so the choice can be bewildering. If I were buying a new one now, I'd start with a Majik LP12. It's very good and as a platform to upgrade from, works well because you have the Karousel and most up to date mechanicals. Unless you know your way around it, I'd steer clear of anything second hand to begin with. After 50 years, there's quite a few dog's dinners in the market. There's an awful lot of carping about the LP12 on forums but whenever I've heard a new spec one at a dealer at any level, I've always thought they sounded really good.

Hi,

If you are going to buy an LP12 new you should also ask your dealer to let you hear similar priced decks, even lesser priced ones, or travel to dealer who has other decks.

There are many decks out there that are as good if not better, for example any of the Well Tempered decks for the money are as good as any LP12, and would work very well with your cartridge.

Buying an LP12 is like opening your bank account to Linn, be warned the upgrade path never stops.

Cheers

John

Hi,
Buying an LP12 is like opening your bank account to Linn, be warned the upgrade path never stops.

Cheers

John

Whenever I start think about "upgrading" my LP12, I put some music on (still pre cirkus :)). I think it still sounds good, and I have learnt self restraint - two daughters, one wedding coming up other at uni, now that really does concentrate the mind :(

There are so many options out there that it's hard to know where to begin! (Choice is a good thing, of course.)

Given that you already have the Ortofon and presumably enjoy it, perhaps the PFM collective could suggest an arm that will get the most out of the cartridge you have while still fitting an LP12?

Alternatively, I've had an LP12 with a Naim ARO, Armageddon, ARO Kore, and a Dynavector 20x2L and it was great. (Since moved up to a Radikal.) Should be possible for Akurate money and with a good dealer. EDIT: unless you have a lot of 45s, then it's a non-starter, as the 'Geddon only does 33.3 rpm.

I use a cadenza bronze in a PU7 and have no desire to change. Cracking arm, fully adjustable and a pleasure to listen to an use.

Hi,

If you are going to buy an LP12 new you should also ask your dealer to let you hear similar priced decks, even lesser priced ones, or travel to dealer who has other decks.

There are many decks out there that are as good if not better, for example any of the Well Tempered decks for the money are as good as any LP12, and would work very well with your cartridge.

Cheers

John
Whilst I moved on to Well Tempered decks years ago, I only upgraded my Linn once in the 20 odd years I had it, replacing an Akito with an Aro. I just don’t recognise the urge to upgrade. Likewise, I managed to own Naim amps for years without ever feeling I had to, either.

You don't have to buy the decks in 'bundles', indeed it may be preferable not to (I didn't), you can use second-hand components and/or non-Linn components and just add them in as needed, there are a few compatability issues with some of the upgrades mostly from the older kit but for the most part you can chop and change (though LP12's are fussy about non Linn arms). Not sure what has happened since the latest gasp-inducing price rise but certainly the Majik used to be discounted relative to the sum of its parts and was supposedly a good deal (I think you essentially ended up saving a cost at least equivalent to the Karousel bearing which was £750).

It's still possible to buy more cost-effectively that just going for 1 of the off-the-shelf options. In my price bracket new Linn carts and arms are just unaffordable, especially since these are the bits that are apparently the least important, according to the official Linn 'hierarchy' (they essentially say start with the sub-chassis and work out). Also the Majik doesn't come with a 'one touch for 45 speed' option so upgrading the not-so-great power supply in it might be a good place to start if you play 45's; the Kore also makes a significant audible difference, you would be able to buy this and a much improved power supply plus a new to you arm (almost certainly better than the one that comes with the stock deck) with the money you save by (eg) ditching the ludicrously priced £2k Akito arm and £1.4k cart. Even the Krane arm which comes with the Majik is about £800 for which you're in used Ekos, Ittok or new Nima territory. Your mileage may differ but as I say Linn themselves downplay carts and arms so it seems foolish to spend so much on them when there are other things you could have that would make a bigger difference. I had a Linn Basik Plus on mine for quite a while (used price approx £160), it was fine - ok it wasn't great but then again it didn't cost £1600 either.

As others have said, find a dealer you trust and talk about your best options within your budget. Peter Swain is really helpful and has lots of options but there are others and some may be more local. For now, here's the price list on the parts. https://www.cymbiosis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/GBP_January_2022.pdf but remember if you are on a budget a good dealer such as Peter will be able to source you commonly available used kit too if you're patient.

I assume a new LP12 can be ordered with whatever spec the customer decides on and with or without a tonearm or cartridge?

I wouldn't go with a new Linn package as I don't think they are good value. For example an Audio Origami PU7 is as good as an Ekos SE at half the price. The Akito is poor value and the better used arms like the Ittok and Ekos are mostly very old and no longer supported.

I would mix new, used and aftermarket parts to build a deck known to be a good combination and take it from there. Rather than try to get it right straight out of the box assume it will take a few tweaks and changes.

I totally agree. The PU7ti especially is on par with the Ekos SE for significantly less money. I have an Audio Origami PU7 with a DV 20x2L cartridge which is an excellent combination. Loud & Clear in Glasgow have demonstrated that this combination will beat an Akito 3 tonearm with a Krystal cartidge. The standard AO PU7 tonearms are not much more expensive than the Linn Akito arm on the Akurate package but far, far better. You need to find a top flight dealer that will allow you to swap in the components you would like and swap out the ones you don't. A great mix of new and used parts will get you the best result..

advertisement

Back