advertisement

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

Unfortunately we are all beyond just listening with our ears. There are some brands I just would never consider, I suppose others are the same?

No and yes.

In my early 20's I decided I wanted to 'upgrade' from the Rega Planar 3. I went for a demonstration to a hifi shop with an open mind and an open wallet only to be told they only sold the LP12 above the price point of the Rega Planar 2 and 3 and it was the only turntable to buy because it was the best.
Now I can only speak for myself but I'd never be willing to take a salesman's word that what they were selling was the best, I'm not that gullible, especially as I had read ALL the magazines numerous features on record players over the previous 10 or so years, so although I didn't take the reviews as gospel I did know there was other record players available.
So I decided I'd make up my own mind on what was 'the best' for me.
I tried numerous belt drive designs, Rega Planar 3 Thorens TD160B, STD 305M, Linn Lp12 (×2) , Michell Gyrodec (full size AC) , Voyd Ref and Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace. I didn't try any direct drive or idler drive TTs at this time, to the best of my knowledge none were available, I had read a few articles on vintage Thorens or Garrards but couldn't find any.
By 1999, I had the Gyrodec, Voyd and Hyperspace, all in the one system, I had a small variety of tonearms and cartridges that I could use on the different turntables.
My preference was clearly the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace.
I did similar trials with amplification and speakers.
So in reply to your first statement , no I'm sceptical enough never to take a salesman's word for truth, and inquisitive enough to find out for myself what sounds the best for me, though I would also admit that there is other factors to take into consideration, build quality, aesthetics, etc. Which takes me the answer of your question, yes there are brands that I never would consider either based on build quality for Turntables or previous experience, normally because I didn't like the what I heard, a few examples, Naim, Linn, Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Pink Triangle, Triangle Speakers, Monopulse speakers.

Nowadays l base what I buy on previous experience, though in an ideal world I would like to have tried a few alternative record players to my Dais, namely a Brinkmann Bardo direct drive TT , perhaps a TW Acustic TT, Bergmann or STST Motus, unfortunately the facilties are not available to try these in Ireland.

No and yes.

In my early 20's I decided I wanted to 'upgrade' from the Rega Planar 3. I went for a demonstration to a hifi shop with an open mind and an open wallet only to be told they only sold the LP12 above the price point of the Rega Planar 2 and 3 and it was the only turntable to buy because it was the best.
Now I can only speak for myself but I'd never be willing to take a salesman's word that what they were selling was the best, I'm not that gullible, especially as I had read ALL the magazines numerous features on record players over the previous 10 or so years, so although I didn't take the reviews as gospel I did know there was other record players available.
So I decided I'd make up my own mind on what was 'the best' for me.
I tried numerous belt drive designs, Rega Planar 3 Thorens TD160B, STD 305M, Linn Lp12 (×2) , Michell Gyrodec (full size AC) , Voyd Ref and Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace. I didn't try any direct drive or idler drive TTs at this time, to the best of my knowledge none were available, I had read a few articles on vintage Thorens or Garrards but couldn't find any.
By 1999, I had the Gyrodec, Voyd and Hyperspace, all in the one system, I had a small variety of tonearms and cartridges that I could use on the different turntables.
My preference was clearly the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace.
I did similar trials with amplification and speakers.
So in reply to your first statement , no I'm sceptical enough never to take a salesman's word for truth, and inquisitive enough to find out for myself what sounds the best for me, though I would also admit that there is other factors to take into consideration, build quality, aesthetics, etc. Which takes me the answer of your question, yes there are brands that I never would consider either based on build quality for Turntables or previous experience, normally because I didn't like the what I heard, a few examples, Naim, Linn, Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Pink Triangle, Triangle Speakers, Monopulse speakers.

Nowadays l base what I buy on previous experience, though in an ideal world I would like to have tried a few alternative record players to my Dais, namely a Brinkmann Bardo direct drive TT , perhaps a TW Acustic TT, Bergmann or STST Motus, unfortunately the facilties are not available to try these in Ireland.
My experience is that dealers have quite a focused range based upon what they think are the best in each category/price point & what they can sell. There are various factors, longevity, brand support etc.

When I bought a P2 in the mid 90s the logical next step was a 2nd hand LP12, no other brands were available locally at the time. I also found that there was a separation between ‘round earth’ brands like Mitchell, SME & ‘flat earth’ naim/Rega/linn so was quite hard to do a comparative demo.

It doesn’t really bother me now but at the time I was curious about other brands. Interestingly when I demo’d a P10 a few weeks ago the dealer did say that many LP12 customers do explore alternatives, maybe to get off the upgrade path, but end up stick with what they know. I can understand this thinking, we can be creatures of habit.

I haven't owned many TTs, and demoed even fewer. In the 35 years I've had my LP12, which incidentally showed an AR Turntable and RB300 a clean pair of heels, I have done a direct comparison with two others - at home, in my system. Both were done at the suggestion of a friend, whom I guessed wanted to know how his decks compared. The closer-run contest was against a Well-Tempered Versalex. But I still preferred the grooviness of my Linn. The other was a Pioneer PL-71A, which is much vaunted as a good DD deck. I found it sterile and boring.

Here is my thing. I've never felt the compulsion to get a different TT, in the same way that I get itchy to try a different amplifier or loudspeakers. Go figure ...

I am looking to sell my LP12.

Bought in 1992.
Its current spec is Karousel bearing with Kore sub, original Afromosia Plinth (braced), top plate, baseboard and dust cover. It has an Ittok VII arm, and re-capped and serviced Lingo 1 with the mains filter replaced (Class A November 2017)
I had the deck serviced and Karousel plus Kore fitted in July 2020, by Peter Swain. New hinges and mat were fitted also.
I have the original box.
I will not post the deck as I am sure it would need to be set up again after being boxed up.
The deck, of course, sounds stunning but it is time for me to move to something else.

I am looking to sell my LP12.

Bought in 1992.
Its current spec is Karousel bearing with Kore sub, original Afromosia Plinth (braced), top plate, baseboard and dust cover. It has an Ittok VII arm, and re-capped and serviced Lingo 1 with the mains filter replaced (Class A November 2017)
I had the deck serviced and Karousel plus Kore fitted in July 2020, by Peter Swain. New hinges and mat were fitted also.
I have the original box.
I will not post the deck as I am sure it would need to be set up again after being boxed up.
The deck, of course, sounds stunning but it is time for me to move to something else.

Did you enjoy it less musically - after the upgrades ?

The reason I ask is that I know a few people that have had that experience and yet it is rarely talked about on forums - newer and more expensive doesn’t always mean better in terms of musical enjoyment. I have found that myself personally over the years……..

Did you enjoy it less musically - after the upgrades ?

The reason I ask is that I know a few people that have had that experience and yet it is rarely talked about on forums - newer and more expensive doesn’t always mean better in terms of musical enjoyment. I have found that myself personally over the years……..

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think that is the case. The reason that I am changing deck is that I have been listening to some other's systems and I have decided that I prefer the sound I can get from a Technics SP10. I feel that I could get the improvement in sound that I am looking for, but to do this with the LP12 would mean lots more upgrades, so I just decided that it is time to try something else

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think that is the case. The reason that I am changing deck is that I have been listening to some other's systems and I have decided that I prefer the sound I can get from a Technics SP10. I feel that I could get the improvement in sound that I am looking for, but to do this with the LP12 would mean lots more upgrades, so I just decided that it is time to try something else

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn’t live with the Urika when I had one - massive backwards move musically - and I know several happy campers with pre-Cirkus bearings that have tried the newer versions but felt them also to be a backwards step.

If I had another LP12 it would be more or less an 80’s spec machine…….their sweet spot

advertisement

Back