advertisement

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

Because of the very real history of Linn dealers, and customers alike, in the past of over-tightening the cartridge screws and flat-spotting the bearings. It’s easily done. If you don’t use hex cartridge bolts and use screws that take a flat-bladed screwdriver it’s a lot less common. It’s a very expensive mistake to make, although most people don’t realise they’ve done it and simply live with poorer sound. If you remove the arm and tighten the bolts whilst only gripping the arm tube, it avoids it. Linn’s mantra used to be to tighten it til it nearly cracks, then back off a bit. People did a lot of damage this way!

but nobody sensible does that anymore? I’d buy the cheapest, oldest dog I could find - then add a decent sub chassis, motor controller and arm of choice. Job done

but nobody sensible does that anymore? I’d buy the cheapest, oldest dog I could find - then add a decent sub chassis, motor controller and arm of choice. Job done
I’d hope not but the question was asked. It’s certainly worth knowing if you’re considering buying a s/h arm. A dog might be a brilliant buy if you know what you’re doing. Most people won’t, would be my gut feeling.

Because of the very real history of Linn dealers, and customers alike, in the past of over-tightening the cartridge screws and flat-spotting the bearings. It’s easily done. If you don’t use hex cartridge bolts and use screws that take a flat-bladed screwdriver it’s a lot less common. It’s a very expensive mistake to make, although most people don’t realise they’ve done it and simply live with poorer sound. If you remove the arm and tighten the bolts whilst only gripping the arm tube, it avoids it. Linn’s mantra used to be to tighten it til it nearly cracks, then back off a bit. People did a lot of damage this way!

Fair enough, to be honest I'd never heard of the Linn mantra of over tightening cartridge screws until being on this forum and reading about it and if it had been suggested to me by anyone I'd of suggested they should wise up and have a bit of common sense, I really can't imagine anyone being ham fisted enough to put that much pressure on a M2.5 fastner that it would damage the tonearm bearings, but I guess some people have no 'feel' or mechanical knowledge. I've mounted loads of Dynavectors on LP12’S when I used to sell them and never felt the need to remove a tonearm. I always mount cartridges loose enough initially so they can still be moved for correct alignment with a protractor and then just nip them up so they don't move (they're pretty dainty little screws that really don't require much in the way of torque) generally holding the arm tube in one hand and the screwdriver or Allen key to tighten the fasteners in the other.

I would listen to alternatives before spending a lot of money on any hifi component. The LP12 is rather expensive, so do check out other decks.

Surely it's the 'getting pissed' is the issue?
Indeed so, but a conventional arm with a clip and lift lower probably would’ve helped. I’m not slagging it off though. It’s a great thing.

I had dinner with another arm manufacturer once and he described the Aro as sounding like dirty sex! Not sure I’d quite agree but that’s the funniest description of a Hifi component I’ve ever heard!

What other deck offers the same quality of construction, modular upgrade path (with a wealth of third party support) and excellent residuals?

Plenty offer the same quality of construction and better as for the modular upgrade paths that could be seen as a good thing or that it's a flawed design or just a way to milk the customer.

What other deck offers the same quality of construction, modular upgrade path (with a wealth of third party support) and excellent residuals?

It’s this kind of arrogance that can put people off Linn. What other decks need to be of a modular construction? Perhaps if you get the design / material choices correct in the first place then you don’t need it. What other deck charges over £5K for a power supply - you would hope residuals would be good !

As much as I am fond of an LP12 there are other choices.

advertisement

Back