advertisement

New Linn Tonearm - 'Arko' and MC cartridges

The cart is an Audio Technica OC9. Be interesting to see how much Linn charge for it. Not seen a full picture of the arm yet.

The cart is an Audio Technica OC9. Be interesting to see how much Linn charge for it. Not seen a full picture of the arm yet.
£800 for the entry cartridge… be interesting to know what stylus profile it uses!

There’s another new cartridge called the Kendo which sits between the Krystal and Kandid priced at £2800.

These are all I've seen:

koil.jpg

arko.jpg

cart_on_arm.jpg

The new products released over the last year or so are somewhat blurring the three tiers. There’s no longer a defined entry, mid and top tier model… still, more options isn’t a bad thing.

The bottom picture is of an Ekstatik mounted on the new Arko arm… unless the Kendo looks identical to the Ekstatik. Not seen any pictures of the Kendo yet.

You're right and I'd be very surprised if they looked identical given the price of the Ekstatik!

It's clearly a rebadged OC9 in essence but are there any changes over the stock cartridge I wonder. Clearly it's silver not gold but maybe it's sporting a different stylus?

As someone who likes to manually cue records, not a fan of the finger lift which sticks straight out from the headshell. I doesn’t give you nice clearance for your finger. I’m sure there must be a reason why Linn designed it that way with the Arco, but I prefer the arm lift on Ittok/Ekos.

mb57Wk0.jpg

The Koil (c£800) and is clearly a derivative of the ATOC9 (with some Linn tax on top). Given how good the latest OC9's are then it might be good value, Stylus is an ML and specs are already on Linn Docs

The Kendo (c£2800) looks to be another EMT derivative. Surely they will be dropping the Kandid soon (stock levels?). Do they really need a 6 cart range? Specs also on Linn Docs

The Arko (c£3000) is clearly moving the game on from the Akito, which is being dropped from the catalogue I believe. There were strong rumours late last year that this was being developed for Linn by Thales. Don't know who is building it though, maybe Linn themselves. It looks like the antiskate mechanism retains the ancient Akito/Basik/LVV by ADC heritage for old times sake :)

I think the Accurate level LP12 is dropped for a new Selekt spec LP12, presumably with the new tonearm.

These are all really positive additions to the catalogue, particularly the Arko tonearm.

So basically Linn have made the Akito a bit more flash looking, probably a bit better sounding and fifty percent more expensive? With a new name so you think you're getting something.

And the AT OC9XML for £800 when you could buy two better spec OC9s from Audio Technica for less?

You got to hand it to them...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back