advertisement

New full frame mirrorless cameras

just watched the video ^^^^

1- the retro lens solution for nikon as explained/guessed would put me off totally -- clearly they will not be as good as the new ones

2- looking to speculations about he near future: wtf do people want 100MP sensor for? printing highway billboards or wallpaper for their mansions?

3- all this tech stuff is total ****ery (albeit fun, like regular ****ery) -- as have known for over a decade and a half now, if you lose sleep worrying about how good your picture could have been, just buy some leica glass, put it on a camera that will take it and sleep tight

4- become an anarchist photographer like me who mainly worries about creating a bit of art from time to time and often with a $25 lens...

image.php

Last edited:
A larger diameter lens mount allows wider aperture lenses to be deployed,
Stanley Kubrick used the NASA Zeiss 50mm F 0.7 to shoot the famous candlelight scenes in Barry Lyndon in the not especially large BNC mount on an Arri III.
What the wider mount and shorter flange distance might do is allow that fast lens to be a little more compact.

PS As a Sony A7RIII user, I'm looking forward to seeing where Nikon goes with this.

I don't get the mega pixel thing either. Quite happy with 16-20mp on my MFT gear. The only time I would want more is when doing macro - you're often forced to make crops.

As far as I'm concerned I'm still very happy with micro four thirds. MFT has carved its own niche and people buy into it because of its smaller sensor and resulting smaller lenses and bodies. Strikes a great balance. I think Olympus and Panasonic will keep on doing their thing while Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji compete against each other.

I'm just surprised it has taken Nikon and Canon this long to wake up. Set in their DSLR ways I suppose and now scared of Sony.

1- the retro lens solution for nikon as explained/guessed would put me off totally -- clearly they will not be as good as the new ones

2- looking to speculations about he near future: wtf do people want 100MP sensor for? printing highway billboards or wallpaper for their mansions?

3- all this tech stuff is total ****ery (albeit fun, like regular ****ery) -- as have known for over half a decade now, if you lose sleep worrying about how good your picture could have been, just buy some leica glass, put it on a camera that will take it and sleep tight

4- become an anarchist photographer like me who mainly worries about creating a bit of art from time to time and often with a $25 lens...

image.php

I managed to sit through most of that video, and i'm not sure i've learnt anything other than that bloke can rattle on without saying much for hours.

3- all this tech stuff is total ****ery (albeit fun, like regular ****ery) -- as have known for over half a decade now, if you lose sleep worrying about how good your picture could have been, just buy some leica glass, put it on a camera that will take it and sleep tight

image.php

Rusty boat hull?

I’d want to see the results with the adapter and older Nikon lens lenses before writing off the new mirrorless camera, even though I’m staying put with what I have. Yes, I’m weird that way.

Joe

I managed to sit through most of that video, and i'm not sure i've learnt anything other than that bloke can rattle on without saying much for hours.

He's a fascinating fellow. His eyes don't appear to open, I can't work out how he can see anything!

I’d want to see the results with the adapter and older Nikon lens lenses before writing off the new mirrorless camera, even though I’m staying put with what I have. Yes, I’m weird that way.

joe.

what really worries me is that someone will start a thread 2 years from now with the heading: "can you be friends with a person carrying a big DSLR in public or wearing a fanny pack?"

the other thing that seems questionable is the big mount. it kinda rules out nice, small lenses, unless they are going full pancake for anything relatively short. as for mounting old lenses... well i had that option with my leica summicron R 50, but decided to sell it instead. it's like buying a ferrari and driving it around with a boat hauler attached to the back.

Vuk,

I do have a mirrorless camera — a Fuji X100 I picked up secondhand a few years back. It's a wonderful little thing provided you can work around its quirks. And my DSLR is about as small as a full-frame DSLR gets. With a couple of small primes — say a 28, 40 and 105 — it's really not comically large or burdensome to carry. It's certainly not orders of magnitudes bigger than a digital Leica with similar focal length lenses.

leica-m10-vs-nikon-df-front-a.jpg

I'm just not interested in buying a new camera system every few years as the developments are rolled out.

Joe

And my DSLR is about as small as a full-frame DSLR gets.

OK, that looks a lot better than the mid-life crisis DSLR i see guys buying (or drooling over) at "downtown camera" every time i go in. i think i'm still contaminated/traumatized by memories of your old nikon film body.

I'm just not interested in buying a new camera system every few years as the developments are rolled out.

i thought that sort of thing was the whole purpose of life in western democracies?

All this talk about mirrorless cameras got me curious so I had a look at some Fujis and Sonys today. Man, EVFs have improved a lot.

I still prefer optical finders but, man, it’s not what I expected at all.

Joe

Joe

If the adapter requires the lossy semi-mirror thingy for autofocus, I wonder if there will be a separate, non-lossy adapter for older manual focus lenses?

All this talk about mirrorless cameras got me curious so I had a look at some Fujis and Sonys today. Man, EVFs have improved a lot.

I still prefer optical finders but, man, it’s not what I expected at all.

joe.

my fuji x-t1 isn't as good as what you saw, but it was good enough for me to take a chance in 2016 despite being an optical viewfinder nazi. using it was revolutionary for me. optical finders will always be the best in terms of seeing things as they really are, but in terms of taking the best picture you can (on average) with the equipment in hand i have to confess that for me it's a 50/50 proposition at best. for others, it may be different.

advertisement

Back