advertisement

New full frame mirrorless cameras

I changed from m4/3* to FF for the increased dynamic range and low-light performance. The A7III has barely higher resolution than the latest m4/3 cameras, but much better performance in those areas (now and into the future), traits the A7RIII shares. The extra resolution is a very nice thing to have, but not a requisite. My 'dealer' offered me a large discount on the RIII so, flush with cash from offloading all my old gear, why not.
*m4/3 user since before it had an 'm' at the front. And Nikon F4s for nearly 20 years before that
I don't get the mega pixel thing either. Quite happy with 16-20mp on my MFT gear. The only time I would want more is when doing macro - you're often forced to make crops.

I bought one of those recently. Very useful as a doorstop, or bolted onto the front of the tractor as a counterweight.
Yes, that’s about the size & weight of it. The F4s turned me off bulky camera systems.
That said, the A7+16-35mm combo is fairly monstrous.

Yes, that’s about the size & weight of it. The F4s turned me off bulky camera systems.
That said, the A7+16-35mm combo is fairly monstrous.

The F3 was still pretty wieldy, but somehow it lacked that jewel-like character of the F and F2.

The F2 and F3 were fabulous cameras with wonderful handling.

A bit more info or rumour about the two mirrorless Nikon cameras likely to be announced later this month.

• Nikon Z6: high-speed, low-light model (24 MP)
  • Nikon Z7: high-resolution model (45 MP)

And a Nikon Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 lens to be announced later.

Joe

joe.

i was at the camera shop a little earlier and two pro shooters were unloading nikon gear (bodies and lenses) -- predicting price plunge.

Vuk,

Yeah, some guys on various Nikon forums have been doing the same. I'm not interested in unloading anything because I really like my camera and its manual dials — a dial for ISO, a dial for shutter speed, and (when I'm using older manual-focus lenses) a mechanical aperture ring on the lens.

The mirrorless camera appears to be more like a smaller D850 than an Df.

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-back-view-by-oldfashioned_aj.jpg

Joe

Vuk,

Some months ago the rumour mills were ruminating that a Df2 would be released eventually, replacing the Df. The speculation was that the Df successor would be a mirorless camera of some sort but with a Df-like form factor — manual, mechanical dials and things as opposed to command wheels, buttons and menus.

I think it unlikely. Though it was the digital camera I had hoped for years Nikon would release, it appears the Df was a commercial flop. It sold, but in small numbers, mainly to collectors and traditional photo nerds like me. A real shame as this is the one and only DSLR that looks and works like a traditional SLR.

I suspect when it's discontinued, my Df will be worth a bazzilion dollars.

Joe

Buy another, Joe. It's a good camera. You can happily exist with a pair of Df for the next 20 years and produce great work with it, continuing to pick up great glass as the opportunity presents. It's like going Leica in the 80's (though unlikely to become uber-collectible in 20-30 years).

Vuk,

Yeah, some guys on various Nikon forums have been doing the same. I'm not interested in unloading anything because I really like my camera and its manual dials — a dial for ISO, a dial for shutter speed, and (when I'm using older manual-focus lenses) a mechanical aperture ring on the lens.

The mirrorless camera appears to be more like a smaller D850 than an Df.

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-back-view-by-oldfashioned_aj.jpg

Joe
I take it that's a fan-site mashup?

Rico,

I think it's based on a brief glimpse of the camera in the teaser videos, so it's likely close to reality. We'll know in a week.

Joe

"It feels just like a DSLR, but physically it's totally different."

As though it were a mirrorless camera?

Joe

"It feels just like a DSLR, but physically it's totally different."

As though it were a mirrorless camera?

Joe

you can take a picture that "is like so super sharp and, even when you zoom in, is still super sharp".

Vuk,

That's super! And I'm super excited about the super sharpness.

Joe

Well Joe, i'm super excited that your super excited too!

Yeah, it's light? My advice has always been to take an RZ67 out for some street photography, then all cameras are light, sorry, super light after that.

advertisement

Back