advertisement

New full frame mirrorless cameras

.....PS. Norwich is a fine city :)

It was. Like all cities, towns and villages, its been boogered by the developers. The Luftwaffe had a good crack at it, but the developers did the real damage.

Didn't Norwich once boast the same number of pubs and churches, and there were a lot of pubs?

... I’m also pretty much locked into a DSLR system regardless because I’ve spent many years acquiring a bag full of various Nikon lenses, some of which date to the 1960s.

Well I predict you'll be using those old nikon lenses with some fancy new nikon mirrorless at some point, and it'll be a much better experience than you expect as modern EVFs are pretty much there. You'll keep a DSLR of course, but you'll use it less than you think

Cesare,

Maybe, but I’m the kind of guy who has run the same CD player he bought secondhand in 1998, so I’m not one to be on the cutting edge of technology. :)

Joe

I feel a littl hacked that the new Nikon mirrorless will have a new, larger lens mount. Perhaps there will be an adaptor for the F-mount lenses.

It appears that the mount might be the same size (diameter) as the Fuji GFX, maybe Nikon are thinking of introducing a MF sensor at some point further down the line, with the rumored Sony 100MP MF sensor going into a 2019 Fuji GFX100, then maybe we will see something MF from Nikon (that will work with this new 'range' of Nikon optics). By Fuji's own admission they have sold a lot more GFX's than they expected to, and many going to non-professionals, so there is a market there. It won't be cheap, but would certainly liven up the top end prosumer camera market.

I'm not sure the mount size means much wrt the size of the image circle. Large format lenses all come in a few standard mount sizes but have wildly different image circle sizes. Seems like a weird reason to me. It's more likely i'd have thought to give them more flexibility with wider lenses to reduce the angle of incidence, which affects how much vignetting they get and have to deal with in camera.

For example the Hasselblad X-Pan mount is smaller than the canon EOS mount, and yet it covers 70mm horizontal vs the 36mm of the canon system.

Mr. Perceptive,

Medium format from Nikon? That made my eyebrow go up all quizzical-like. But I'm guessing that like the Fuji GFX it ain't gonna be cheap.

giphy.gif

Does anyone know why larger sensors are still so expensive? I'm not asking why a larger sensor (e.g, 24 x 36mm) is more costly to produce than a smaller one (e.g.,16 x 24mm). That one I know to answer to. I'm wondering why sensors only 50% bigger than full frame ones, give or take, are so stupidly expensive.

Joe

Mr. Perceptive,

Medium format from Nikon? That made my eyebrow go up all quizzical-like. But I'm guessing that like the Fuji GFX it ain't gonna be cheap.

giphy.gif

Does anyone know why larger sensors are still so expensive? I'm not asking why a larger sensor (e.g, 24 x 36mm) is more costly to produce than a smaller one (e.g.,16 x 24mm). That one I know to answer to. I'm wondering why sensors only 50% bigger than full frame ones, give or take, are so stupidly expensive.

Joe

Top 'GIFing' there Joe :D

Lefty

My wife's currently using a Minolta X-700 manual SLR, which has some lovely lenses. I am seriously considering getting something like a Sony NEX too, as these are available with Minolta MD mount adapters, so best of both worlds...

Does anyone know why larger sensors are still so expensive? I'm not asking why a larger sensor (e.g, 24 x 36mm) is more costly to produce than a smaller one (e.g.,16 x 24mm). That one I know to answer to. I'm wondering why sensors only 50% bigger than full frame ones, give or take, are so stupidly expensive

More pixels is going to mean a higher rejection rate during manufacture, but I'd guess the main reason is that the production costs are higher than with a 36x24mm sensor and they also sell in much smaller numbers, so the development and production costs are spread over far fewer sales.

The first digital SLR I owned was a Canon 300D and cost £1,000. Nowadays you can get something like that free in a packet of cornflakes.

Steve,

I'm guessing the higher price of medium format sensors must be attributable to lower volume. Just a quick example, when you match pixel count (well, almost), the camera with the bigger sensor is almost double the price —

Nikon D850 (~24 x 36mm 45.7 MP sensor ) — $4,400 Cdn
Fuji GFX 50s (~33 x 44mm 51.4MP sensor) — $8,125 Cdn

Joe

I'm guessing the higher price of medium format sensors must be attributable to lower volume. Just a quick example, when you match pixel count (well, almost), the camera with the bigger sensor is almost double the price —

as steve wrote, it has to do with rejection rates in manufacturing. they make a big sheet/panel of the stuff then chop of the sensor-sized good bits. if you need a larger area, you will get far fewer good (=perfect) ones.

Last edited:
That seems like a reasonable balance, a church will hold more people than a pub after all.
The Bell, as it was in the 80s, was on five floors. Meeting RAF mates in there before the days of mobiles was a bit hit or miss. Especially after a gallon of wifebeater.

Another mostly pointless video about the new mount.

Joe

advertisement

Back