advertisement

New dishwasher

I have owned Bosch, Philips, Bekko, Hoover and probably others which I can’t remember. In all cases they were small size. And in London, so hard water. I use an all in one soap thing.

In terms of function, they were all the same to me. They washed and they dried, basically the same number of items. One may have been the quietest or the quickest, or more energy efficient, or have more programmes. If so, I didn’t notice. None of them looked nicer than any other. The Bosch was the most disappointing, because it didn’t seem to dry the dishes as well as the others. But it was OK.

They all lasted the same time roughly, about 5 years or even less. I’m on the Bekko now and it’s about 4 years old.

My rule with these things now is to get the cheapest. I see them as disposable items, I never get them repaired.

My rule with these things now is to get the cheapest. I see them as disposable items, I never get them repaired.

I read one 'school of thought' years ago that said either buy something decent that will last, or the cheapest you can find AND buy a long extended warranty.

I read one 'school of thought' years ago that said either buy something decent that will last, or the cheapest you can find AND buy a long extended warranty.

The ones that last the longest are the mid priced ones that have huge production runs as they end up fixing all the design faults, the expensive ones are unreliable as they don’t make many and never get a chance to fix design issues. Told to me by an appliance service tech.

Just been in the kitchen. We've got a Bosch too. It seems like a recent purchase, but we've had it for five years at least. It replaced (if I remember correctly) an Indesit which we'd had for fifteen years.

we had Zanussi - went wrong twice in the first year, went back replaced with a Hotpoint that lasted 3 years. Replaced with a Bosch, lasted 6 years.

Currently Miele 10 years and counting.

Neff. 15 years and counting. Quiet as a mouse and just gets on with it. No idea if they're still as good but no regrets here.

Hell. It even has a touch screen that still works (no smart phones back then)

Aw. What's the bet it breaks down tomorrow now I've said that.

Sean, I have one I would sell cheap if you’re interested and can pick up from Gloucestershire. Works perfectly.
Thanks very much Brian, appreciate the offer, but I’ve no way of getting it and I need to sort this out quickly.

And thanks everyone for the advice. Since we’re in a very hard water area I may be as well just getting another cheap one. Got 7 years out of the last one, basically unbranded.

It takes as much effort to use one than it does to wash dishes by hand, waste of space and energy. Save the planet, save your health, don't buy anymore 'time saving' gadgets, obviously washing machines are the exception.

It takes as much effort to use one than it does to wash dishes by hand, waste of space and energy. Save the planet, save your health, don't buy anymore 'time saving' gadgets, obviously washing machines are the exception.

You got kids? I have a strong suspicion, given the frequency with which I empty my dishwasher (fisher & paykel), that all my neighbours sneak in and wash their stuff in mine. It’s bewildering how often it’s full. o_O

Having owned dishwashers (because we bought houses with them already), I agree. I don't like that they use up space in small kitchens, either. Items at the bottom collect drips from the top.

Also, I have and prefer vintage and handmade dinnerware. Dishwasher detergent destroys the finishes of even "dishwasher-proof" dinner- and glassware eventually and gives it a nasty feel after.

Hmmm. The way most people wash dishes by hand does use more water. Hot water.

Our local independent electrical retailer basically told us that most stuff manufactured today is crap compared with even 15 years ago. Built to A price and often not cost effective to repair assuming you can get the part. You Are paying more for better performance rather than longevity.

We had a Smeg for many years, used it commercially for more than 10 years with only 2 small faults. Outlasted 2 other commercial units.
It also had an orbital lower spray arm, a two piece elbow style affair that definitely seemed superior to the standard type and the Bosch that replaced it ( unable to get another Smeg at the time ).

Yes, same in our house. Only just replaced one cheap Bosch with another, the company we bought from took dead one away...job done...bish, bash, bosch!

advertisement

Back