advertisement

New dishwasher

I remain to be convinced: A dishwasher uses an average 18l per cycle, a bowl uses about 6l. Dishwashing happens twice a day so I use 12l and no electricity.

How much water do need to run before you get hot water at the tap? This will depend on how close your boiler/hot water cylinder is to the kitchen sink. I haven't measured mine but it does add up as there is about 6m of pipe to my cylinder. All that water has to be heated. Not all the water used by a dishwasher has to be heated, the first rinse water is cold.

How much water do need to run before you get hot water at the tap? This will depend on how close your boiler/hot water cylinder is to the kitchen sink. I haven't measured mine but it does add up as there is about 6m of pipe to my cylinder. All that water has to be heated. Not all the water used by a dishwasher has to be heated, the first rinse water is cold.

I collect all of that water for use elsewhere.

I remain to be convinced: A dishwasher uses an average 18l per cycle, a bowl uses about 6l. Dishwashing happens twice a day so I use 12l and no electricity.
4 x per day in my house, single sink so need to keep running water hot for the rinse. Can’t be good. Knackering too.

9.9 litres a cycle in ECO mode for mine which is the program we use mostly. Some cycles use as little as 6.5L.

1 - No but I don't use electricity to heat my water.
2 - If I clean them properly and let them drain, I don't need to rinse.
Assuming you use gas to heat your water, then you are not quite the green fiend. For some time this year, the entire UK’s electricity needs were met by renewables, so electricity use can be greener than gas.

What was the final answer to this one? Need a dishwasher and it's a minefield.

Apparently cheaper ones have plastic bottoms internally which can warp and the seal fails.
Miele seem to cost £1k and over, Bosch, Neff and Siemens are one and the same and not what they used to be.

So need a fully steel internals one, no WiFi, good reliability and EU made. Fully integrated too.

Any features that are worth looking for in addition to the above?

Miele all the way, with a timer.
I do my dishes at night when electricity is 50 % cheaper.

What was the final answer to this one? Need a dishwasher and it's a minefield.

Apparently cheaper ones have plastic bottoms internally which can warp and the seal fails.
Miele seem to cost £1k and over, Bosch, Neff and Siemens are one and the same and not what they used to be.

So need a fully steel internals one, no WiFi, good reliability and EU made. Fully integrated too.

Any features that are worth looking for in addition to the above?
Ikea

We have three at home - two Mieles and recently a Bosch which was put in an outside building.

The Mieles are great - quiet, wash reliably using little water and electric and the cutlery trays work well. The Bosch we got was quite a bit cheaper, more plastic and noisier although it still washes fine.

This is £649 - https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/g5022scwh/miele-g5022scwh-g5000-freestanding-dishwasher. I doubt you’d be disappointed and it will last and be repairable for a long time.

Even a dishy with a hot fill heats the water during washing, otherwise the cold plates would turn the water cold. They do wash more plates with less water than hand washing. That said, mine came with the house and I don't use it. I don't like not having plates available, stuff hanging around stinking and all the buggering about loading and unloading and debating whether it's full enough.

We’re Miele fans and have just bought another having moved last year. The one at the old house was 10 years young, and faultless.

The new one has an Eco mode that takes four hours. We use this almost exclusively, and it uses 9.7l of water. That’s to wash pots, pans dishes etc. etc.

We can, and more often than not do, use a timer that allows us to run it between 1am and 5am, when there’s surplus power available in the grid, so probably a reasonably green way to go.

We had six months of washing-up by hand. Household of six (three generations) so very glad to see the back of that!

the one before the miele was a bosch, lasted about 6 years before it self destructed. Miele has lasted about 10ish years and counting. Ours uses (i think) 6.5l in eco mode, and we run it overnight.

Last edited:
Miele*. Goes on once a day here at night.
I wash the big pots/baking trays manually.

*See also our washing machine and tumble dryer. We have a Liebherr freezer - 20years and counting. I rang their Customer Services once and got "Oh this is the crane section I'll get you the number."
I suppose crane users needed to speak to Customer Services too.
They do quite a lot of things; seem to be doing quite well in fact for a family firm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebherr

I quite enjoy washing up which is probably a good thing given how much of it I do. I would never buy a dishwasher.

advertisement

Back