advertisement

New budget Naim.

I think even if I won £20 mil on the lottery, I wouldn't buy this. What is its exact purpose, and what does it achieve that can't be achieved for a barrowload less? Surely active is the way to go - at any price?

One good thing, I s'pose; 552 and 500 owners shouldn't be negatively affected, as these are soooooooo far above these existing models in power, price and weight, that the 552/500 will still represent the realistic top of the tree.

Having said that, I'm sure someone will set up a six-pack for active use.;)

I think even if I won £20 mil on the lottery, I wouldn't buy this. What is its exact purpose, and what does it achieve that can't be achieved for a barrowload less? Surely active is the way to go - at any price?

I understand it can pull a horse or two.

One good thing, I s'pose; 552 and 500 owners shouldn't be negatively affected, as these are soooooooo far above these existing models in power, price and weight, that the 552/500 will still represent the realistic top of the tree.

Having said that, I'm sure someone will set up a six-pack for active use.;)
exactly. less than 2.5% of this market would have ever visited a hifi forum, let alone contributed.

I won't be rushing to ditch my current 'vertical form' :)
303heatsink.jpg

seriously though, I think most folks on this forum accept that something around 70w is more than enough for most applications.
700W is 10dB more than 70W.

I imagine that there is some huge Focal that needs an in-house solution. Obviously they'd be better off with active ATCs, which effectively have similar powers combined with comprehensible cost and a striking lack of leaf springs.

Paul

700W is 10dB more than 70W.

I imagine that there is some huge Focal that needs an in-house solution. Obviously they'd be better off with active ATCs, which effectively have similar powers combined with comprehensible cost and a striking lack of leaf springs.

Paul

I guess if you're going to build a more powerful amplifier, you might as well do it in style and really push it. Not much point going from say 70w to 100w.

I've been playing with an old pioneer amp in my system today and playing loud but not party levels lit the 100w peak indicators many times. Surprised me TBH.
I calibrated them too, so they aren't telling porkies.

I doubt any of you appreciate just how large this new Naim amp is. I have a mole at the factory who e-mailed me this pic of a production unit. I really shouldn't post it publicly, but people obviously want to see it.

14bs21k.jpg

Blimey, it takes three blokes just to turn the source selector from aux to tape!

Joe

We really are seeing more companies producing uber statement products at stratospheric prices.
The super rich have always existed, as have the very few people prepared to live in a tin hut with a dozen albums and a £200k hi-fi. So what's happening?

Once upon a time you made your bread and butter stuff, then offered a premium version at perhaps 2-3 times the price. Now things are going bonkers.

Is this because the arse really has fallen out of the regular audiophile market?
We have the budget end which satisfies most folk and little interest in what sits between the extremes?

Rob,

Is this because the arse really has fallen out of the regular audiophile market?
Maybe overall, but aren't some audio companies doing well? Rega, as an example, seems to be doing just fine with sensibly priced kit, while keeping production in house.

Joe

We have the budget end which satisfies most folk and little interest in what sits between the extremes?

I think it is evidence of products aimed specifically at the top 1% or 0.1% who have done very nicely since the onset of the financial crisis in 2008.

At the other end, even smart phones are an unbelievably good source compared with what most people had 20 years ago.

I think it's because they know they'll sell enough of them to make lots of money. They'd probably build them even if the regular audiophile market was booming (no pun intended ;) )..

Trying to view the Naim website on my iPad 1 causes it to crash all the time, so if I have to buy a new iPad just to view the video, that breaks the camel's back.
I know when I can't afford something. Those grapes are probably sour anyway.
Good luck to Naim. No really.

advertisement

Back