advertisement

New Beatles Song.

Free as a Bird was a better song, but - as someone noted above - Lynne's ELO-Travelling Willbury's sound killed it (IMO).
This one is primarily nice for its (possible) references to the Lennon/McCarntney relationship. It should have had "Love Me Do" as the A-side - that would have been a laugh!

It seems to have sold extremely well, plenty of preorders. Something I noticed when I thought I'd buy the single a couple of days ago & many stores had sold out. Can't get hold of the 12" for love or money.

Can't get hold of the 12" for love or money.

Was £20 everybody bought multiple copies & now £50-100 already
2023 my best sellers recently Beatles & Stones WTF!

Loved seeing the Fabs footage from the 90's. Just being pals reunited.
One thing I thought was really sad about Lennon's premature death. He didn't get time to do the thing where big stars develop a fondness for their own back catalogue, become like fans of their own group and have a nice time touring the old songs with their old mates, having a laugh and making a few extra (million) quid.

I am not really that excited about a new song.
How many times has the Beatles music we all know and love been remastered, repackaged, re-released, etc. ?
I still have my original ‘Red’ & ‘Blue’ albums from the 1970s and still play and enjoy them.
Having said that, I understand to some degree people’s enthusiasm.
I have to admit ‘Now and Then’ has grown on me.
No enough to buy it, though...

I managed to miss this until I watched the Beato video. I’m not a fan with any of the cash-ins that have come since; all the remixes, catalogue scraping etc. The Beatles weren’t Miles Davis or Coltrane, the stuff left on the floor was left there for damn good reason, especially given the amount of filler that made the albums (ducks, covers). My collection stops with Let It Be. The bits I’ve heard of the single (thanks to Beato) sound like AI-generated ELO to me. As bad as the ‘Love’ album!

PS The original demo of Lenon playing the piano and singing has value. I’d take that over the single anytime. It is the glossy revisionism I can’t stand.

It's easily better than a few on Let It Be. Geoff Lynne had nothing to do with it, he only had a 'half-hearted go at it' with the 3, back in the 90's, which was rightly dismissed as a worthless effort. Giles Martin produced it & not glossy whatsoever to my ears. Everything apart from the vocal obviously slightly compromised- but still perfectly reasonable & remarkably so considering lifted from a cassette tape- is as expected: perfectly well recorded, & rather carefully produced. (ELO? Eh? The only ELO link, is their whole output being one abysmal ripping-off the Beatles & G.Martin's production!).

It's not 'Beatles gold' of course, but even so it's very good (& compared to anything currently released- miles better) & most professional critical opinion out there has been very positive. I've had the lovely main melody as an earworm.. so it's got genuine character too.

The Beatles weren’t Miles Davis or Coltrane, the stuff left on the floor was left there for damn good reason
Nah I can't really go with that. Even if you don't think much of their tunes you can't ignore their impact on society and culture. For that reason alone even the scraps are of interest.

And I quite like the fact they're using the latest new fangled studio trickery. Isn't that what they always did? Sgt Peppers anyone?

I have always been an admirer of the Beatles’ work, though there a definitely some songs I don’t like.
My favourite Beatles LPs are ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ & ‘Help.’
And their ‘Love’ album has grown on me over the years.
No doubt we all have our favourites.

In other news: the best Beatle, Yoko Ono, has a career retrospective exhibition at Tate Modern next year. It will be well worth a visit:

In other news: the best Beatle, Yoko Ono, has a career retrospective exhibition at Tate Modern next year. It will be well worth a visit:

Will get along to that.

Yoko is the only Beatle I've been in the same room as.

(though a friend once bumped into Sir Paul in a London park and spent a pleasant 30 mins strolling with him chatting about music. Possibly 2nd Best Beatle)

I’m with Ian MacDonald when it comes to John and Yoko - “he was her artistic superior, she was his intellectual superior.”

advertisement

Back