advertisement

Netflix no longer working 24th july

Doesn’t the OP need WiFi because Netflix use the WiFi address to track legal usage? Does Ethernet to a Firestick use WiFi in the conversion process?
No! Our SOHO routers use a private IP address range usually 192.168.x.y and by design this never gets onto the Internet. Also as millions use this range it would be meaningless. If I wanted to identify a computer I'd use the network adapters MAC address as these are unique and burnt in. A computer with Ethernet and WiFi will have two MAC addresses one for each adapter.

A few years ago I bought a nice LG TV and an Apple TV box to go with it as the TV didn’t have all the useful apps built in. A few months later LG issued a software update giving me the missing apps and rendered my Apple TV just about redundant. So manufacturers don’t necessarily always screw customers.

Seems a bit odd but millions including me will no longer be able to watch netflix on TV unless you go wifi . as i am hard wired thats a pain . any way to get netflix hard wired ?

Many of us watch Netflix through a built-in app on our TV - but for some this will shortly be coming to a rather abrupt end.

Millions access the streaming giant through a variety of set-top boxes, Blu-ray players and games consoles, but if you're used to watching via your television then this news will come as a bit of a shock.

I'd be very interested to know exactly why the new Netflix app is technically incompatible with a standard Ethernet port and/or the TV OS. I bet they basically just don't want to continue supporting the Sony OS (or more likely whatever OS version these specific TVs use) version of the app, and that there are no actual tecnical limitations, purely a Netflix business one. No software support team wants to support more than one version of their software, the usual excuses of "it's too expensive" blah blah are always trotted out.

Don't know if it's been stated already, but some Panny TVs are also affected:

I'd be very interested to know exactly why the new Netflix app is technically incompatible with a standard Ethernet port and/or the TV OS. I bet they basically just don't want to continue supporting the Sony OS (or more likely whatever OS version these specific TVs use) version of the app, and that there are no actual tecnical limitations, purely a Netflix business one. No software support team wants to support more than one version of their software, the usual excuses of "it's too expensive" blah blah are always trotted out.

It's usually a case that the 'newer' app requires a certain amount of memory and better performing processors to support the 'new features' and this is why older TVs can't cope with a newer version of an app. For example, BBC withdrew support for older Sony Bravia TVs:
This happened to me, so I bought a Chromecast.

We have a fancy LG Smart TV and the apps are universally shite, slow and buggy, so we use a Chromecast ultra instead.

Oddly, apart from not supporting a few arcane file formats, the onboard dnla app used to directly browse my NAS is the only one that does work well.

Well you dont really but its a pain having to plug in yet another box which needs power just to get netflix on a tv not that old really
Just buy a Chromecast dongle. You can power it off the usb slot on the TV and flick stuff from your phone straight to it. They are brilliant and far better than the utterly shite user experience delivered by every single smart TV or set top box I have ever used.

Just buy a Chromecast dongle. You can power it off the usb slot on the TV......
Depends on the model. The older Chromecast (round disk) does on my TV usb but the newer Chromecast with remote wont. The TV usb can't supply enough power. I tried it cos I bought one, hoping to give the older CC to my daughter but in the end the newer CC required a power adapter and I didn't have a free power socket, so daughter got it. She was happy with that result!

Depends on the model. The older Chromecast (round disk) does on my TV usb but the newer Chromecast with remote wont. The TV usb can't supply enough power. I tried it cos I bought one, hoping to give the older CC to my daughter but in the end the newer CC required a power adapter and I didn't have a free power socket, so daughter got it. She was happy with that result!
Good point - pretty sure our cc ultra requires it’s own power socket

Perhaps this doesn't apply to older TVs but my Panasonic has one higher power USB socket which will power my Roku. The other one doesn't. My older Panasonic in the dining room needs the wall wart psu for the Roku to work properly.

Cautious about recommending Roku as their products were unavailable for a while earlier this year. Was going to recommend one to my sister but in the end I had suggest a Firestick which she is very happy with.

These streaming sticks are very useful and more likely to be updated than older model TVs. If it does ever become non-compatible with any of the services you use, the replacement will be relatively inexpensive and the electronic waste minimal.

Reactions: gez

Interesting, my old GT60 Plasma is not listed, I guess being last of the line had a later chip in it. Still works great with iPlayer, Netflix & YouTube

No! Our SOHO routers use a private IP address range usually 192.168.x.y and by design this never gets onto the Internet. Also as millions use this range it would be meaningless. If I wanted to identify a computer I'd use the network adapters MAC address as these are unique and burnt in. A computer with Ethernet and WiFi will have two MAC addresses one for each adapter.
My suspicion is that Netflix track the WiFi SSID. Associating the several MAC addresses in my network with a Netflix account gets complicated if only one device at a time is using Netflix. MAC addresses are unique, but can be forged too.

Netflix want to know geographic location so that they can restrict family account sharing. They don't care about device identification.

advertisement

Back