advertisement

NCC200 V1.4/Cap6 GB

same as Simey

Is it too late to be added to the list? was hoping for 2 ncc200 boards parts and heatsinks and 2 cap 6 boards

Thanks

No not to late.

I've added you to the list and will send you payment details by PM over the next day or so.

Please PM me your postal details.

welcome aboard.:cool:

OK time to start thinking about wrapping this stage of the GB up.

I’m proposing to end the payment stage on Sunday 16th August 24.00 hours.

I’ll then be contacting Les with a view arranging for the cash to be transferred to him and also a collection date for the parts and boards. (Hope that’s good for you Les)

Then it’s a matter of packing and shipping the various orders which as people will remember from the VBE GB is something that I try to take seriously.

I’ll be doing my best to make sure that everything reaches you all in mint condition and ready for your lovely builds.

I’ll be sending out further invoices to cover postal costs and tracking numbers for those who have requested that service.

IMHO

These are truly superb amplifiers and seeing so many of them built is awesome.:cool::cool:

Nearly there.

OK time to start thinking about wrapping this stage of the GB up.

I’m proposing to end the payment stage on Sunday 16th August 24.00 hours.

I’ll then be contacting Les with a view arranging for the cash to be transferred to him and also a collection date for the parts and boards. (Hope that’s good for you Les)

Then it’s a matter of packing and shipping the various orders which as people will remember from the VBE GB is something that I try to take seriously.

I’ll be doing my best to make sure that everything reaches you all in mint condition and ready for your lovely builds.

I’ll be sending out further invoices to cover postal costs and tracking numbers for those who have requested that service.

IMHO

These are truly superb amplifiers and seeing so many of them built is awesome.:cool::cool:

Nearly there.

Nice one Shaun / Les, really appreciate all the effort you have put in here

Alan

Hi Guys

Just a quick reminder to make sure that you send payment VIA PayPal as friends and family.

Sending as a payment for goods/services is making PayPal take notice (reasonably so).:D

I’ve explained to them that we’re doing the GB thing and that we are all friends here but payments for goods/services looks bad.

Let’s be Friends if not Family.

We’re nearly there. Let’s not get tangled up in PP stuff.:cool:

Thanks

ok, I sent a gift to a friend,
just mentioned the parts & numbers i.e. 6xCap6

is this ok or shall we just leave no comment at all preferably ?

You could edit my Cap6 from 6 to 12 now, please.

Thank you :)

Hi Torsten

Stand easy it was just aimed as a general comment in response to some PayPal enquiries.

Just your PFM name will be great.

OK

Let’s get this show on the road.

Late entries

Anyone living outside of the EU (OZ, NZ, JAVA, USA) please check you PM inboxes for payment details.

When an invoice is sent I’ll place an I next to their names.

PLEASE TAG YOUR PFM NAME TO YOUR PAYMENTS.

I’LL Start a new list here and move it along the thread to keep things simple.

1) Chiily 2 x NCC200 and parts 2 x U heatsinks.I

2) Spider 2 X NCC200 and parts X 2x Cap6 boards 2 x u heatsinks I

9) Doinker 2 x NCC200 1X cap6 I

19) Mirkov 6 x NCC boards and bits 6 x U heat sinks 4x cap6 I

21) Naim2 6 x NCC200 board plus parts. . 6 x U shaped heat sinks 6 x Cap6 Boards. I

28) Skak5770 2 x NCC200 board and parts 2 x Large U shaped heat sinks 4 x Cap6 Boards. I

34) Muz 10 NCC200 cap6? I

Anyone not on the above list please supply your postage details.

As I receive payment I’ll move people into the PAID section below.

4) BarryM 4 x NCC200 and parts 4 x Cap6 4 x U heatsinks

5) Marra 4 x Cap6

6) Gaz25 4 x Cap6

7) Mark1212 2 x NCC boards and parts 2 x Cap6

8) GWM 2 NCC boards plus parts

10) S-man 2 x NCC200 boards and parts 2 x U heatsinks.

11) Grahamdocman 6x NCC200 and parts 6 x Cap6 boards 6x U heatsinks

13) Mark65 2 x NCC200 plus parts, 2X NCC200 bare boards 4 X U heatsinks, 6 x Cap6 Boards

14) Cubastreet 2 X NCC200 boards, 2X Cap6

15) Alan 6 x NCC200 boards + driver heat sinks 6 x Cap6 Boards

16) 2 Dive 4xNCC200 10 x Cap6 4 x U shaped heatsinks

17) Harthold 2 x NCC200 and parts 2 x U heat sinks 4 x cap6 boards

18) Meirkat 2 x NCC200 and parts 2 x Cap6 Boards 2x Large U shaped heat sinks with fixing kits for the OP transistors

20) Flashgo 4x NCC200 plus parts 4x U heatsinks 6 X Cap6

22) Kdistin 2 x NCC200 boards only 2 x cap 6.

23) Grazie 2x NCC200 plus parts 2 x Cap6 boards

24) Klaus dee 2 x NCC200 board and parts,2x U shaped heat sinks 2 x cap6 boards

25) reefhead 2x parts only, 2 x U shaped heat sinks

27) Keithtwine 2 x ncc200 and 2 x cap6 boards

35) ElectronJunkie 4x NCC200 plus parts 2x NCC200 Bare PCB only 4x Large TO3 heatsink with insulators, mica pads, stainless fixings 4x Cap6 PCB with drilled and black anodised heatsink. insulators and stainless fixings,

26) sonus 2x NCC200 board and parts 2x NCC200 boards only 4x Large U shaped heat sinks.

29) Solar 2 x NCC200 PCB with parts 2 x Large u shaped heat sinks

30) Moleman 2 x NCC200 PCB with parts

31) DubbLin 2x NCC200 PCB plus parts

32) Claytronics 2x NCC200 V1.4 boards only. 2 X Cap6 Boards

33) Boxmaster 12 NCC200 boards without the extras

36) econorm 2 x NCC200 1.4 board and small driver heat sinks. 2x Large U shaped heat sinks with fixing kits for the OP transistors.2 x Cap6 Boards.

37) Jirka 2 x NCC200 boards plus parts. 2 x large U shaped heat sinks 2 x cap6 boards

38) torstoi 6x NCC200 + parts, 6x U shaped heat sinks with fixing kit, & 12 x Cap6 boards,

39) Simey 2 x ncc200 boards parts and 2 x heatsinks and 4 x cap 6 boards

40) digestive 2 ncc200 boards parts and heatsinks and 2 cap 6 boards

Hope that makes sense

DEAR SHOOM.
I wonder if you could extent my order to 4 cap6 boards if it is not too incovenient. I could settle the balance as you please. Maybe when `i learn the P@p costs.
CHEERS

DEAR SHOOM.
I wonder if you could extent my order to 4 cap6 boards if it is not too incovenient. I could settle the balance as you please. Maybe when `i learn the P@p costs.
CHEERS

No Worries Antonio

it's done and i'll invoice you with the postage charge as you've suggested:cool:

Hi Shoom,

First I like to shout a big thanks to you for all the effort you have put int this GB, - You must have spent a lot of time on this for all fo us. Many thanks to you.

Secondly, If I may ask a question, - will there be any kind of build instructions posted or otherwise to help with the project? - just wondering.

Kind Regards
Roy.

Hi Shoom,

First I like to shout a big thanks to you for all the effort you have put int this GB, - You must have spent a lot of time on this for all fo us. Many thanks to you.

Secondly, If I may ask a question, - will there be any kind of build instructions posted or otherwise to help with the project? - just wondering.

Kind Regards
Roy.

Hi Roy

go to the back of the class:D

No seriously if you go to the start of this thread you’ll find a little detail such as the circuit diagram and grahams superb google doc spread sheet. Also in post 3 you should find build thread links to 2 great builds and also my own humble effort.

I’m hoping to flesh things out a little more a little later.

but that may keep you going for a while.:eek:

BTW

I’ve noticed that quite a few of us live near each other. That could be useful should anyone run into problems.

I’m in the West Midlands so you Gloucestershire and Stoke crew would be most welcome should the need arise. That goes for anyone else willing to travel.:cool:

My first tip would be to buy a digital camera and get a photobucket account sorted. Then should anyone need help a picture usually paints a thousand words.:cool:

build pictures also help and you should find plenty in the threads that I've mentioned. OH and don't be shy you old hands your photos really help newer builders so it would be nice to see some here.

Any of the more experienced builders who want to throw a few pearls of wisdom.

Please do as it helps the less experienced get a grip on what is required.

Anyone with tips on DC offset and the need to get the front end transistors properly sorted.

I’d be most grateful.;)

Id like to join in thanking Shoom who has been extremely helpful to me directly.

Also can anyone explain this in laymans terms please

"The first thing to note is that TR1 needs to be +10% higher HFE than TR2 which ensures the correct DC offset at the OP"

I havent a clue what this means or what I have to do to ensure its correct.

Also no details for the Cap 6 parts seem to be shown. Has anyone got recomendations for caps to be used or any other parts ?

Grateful for any feedback

You need a meter with an option for measuring transistor gain (known as HFE).

Measure several transistors, and choose a pair where one is about 10% higher than the other. If you only have two, measure them both, and use the higher gain one for TR1.

Id like to join in thanking Shoom who has been extremely helpful to me directly.

"The first thing to note is that TR1 needs to be +10% higher HFE than TR2 which ensures the correct DC offset at the OP"

Also no details for the Cap 6 parts seem to be shown. Has anyone got recomendations for caps to be used or any other parts ?

Hi Norm

I’ve not actually built the Cap6 and want to have the boards in hand before commenting on the build. I know that Les has put some time and effort into these boards and may have changed some things along the way.

Once I have the info I’ll post.

But maybe someone with experience of the CAP6 could comment on choke construction and cap choice.

As PD has already explained getting the transistors right for the IP stage matters as it can affect DC offset on the OP of the amp. TR1 needs to have a HFE (gain) 10% greater than TR2. We can have a chat about the best way to measure that in due course.

but for now:D

Could be that clubbing together with someone who has the means to measure HFE could be one way. Obtaining a multimeter with a transistor meter built in could be another.

I have one of these for everyday use.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-gold-pg10b-digital-multimeter-gw18u

But who knows how accurate these things are so I don’t really use that part of the MM.

Or the third way:cool:

I generally use this instead.

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_dca55.html

When I first bought it I thought that I’d use it once and not much after that but it’s been sooo useful and IMHO money well spent.

When measuring it’s also important to have temperature stability in the room as transistors can be really sensitive to such things. I also never touch/pick up transistors before measuring as this can also lead to misleading results. The Atlas is perfect for such things as the transistor can be picked up with the test lead clip allowing consistent results.

IMHO a great tool for anyone serious about transistor work.

Don’t worry Norm it’s actually easier to do than explain and we’ve all been there and got the T shirt at one time or another.:)

Others may use a different method.

Anyone?

We had a brief discussion on the subject further back in the thread also.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...554&highlight=transistor+matching#post2535554

Google usually brings up good info on transistor measuring/matching.

I really appreciate the kind words but TBH Les has done most of the work and I’m just playing postman.

Nearly there Guys:D

12 DAYS TO GO

Read in conjuction with Shoom's post.

PD has told you about HFE (always listen to him, he is a real engineer). Some of us on here have Peak Atlas meters for measuring semiconductor parameters. Many basic cheap multimeters (under £10) have a transistor HFE range nowadays, probably good enough for our needs.

Once the parts have shipped, we normally start a build thread. This is where details of the components to be used get discussed. For things like capacitors it can discuss value/voltage, physical size, lead spacing (i.e. will they fit the pcb), sources, availabilty, cost, quality etc.

There will be a component list (BOM/Bill of Materials) published, or made up as we go along. It is often best to wait until we have the PCBs in hand, in case the layout has recently changed, due to Les's policy of continuous product improvement;)

Don't worry, there will be plenty of us here to help and discuss things with you. Lots of experience building earlier NCC200s, CAP6s etc.

Cheers,
Barry.

Hi Shoom
I have already thanked Les directly by email for his understanding when explaining to someone like me who knows nothing.

Would it be to much to be asking Les who must have lots of these transistors to consider also the supply of suitable pairs of transistors. I dont know how much they cost but I imagine we/I might end up buying quite a number before we/I get the correct match ? and also the £50 cost of the meter which I doubt I will ever use again.

Nice to know we are nearly there though

Hi Shoom
I have already thanked Les directly by email for his understanding when explaining to someone like me who knows nothing.

Would it be to much to be asking Les who must have lots of these transistors to consider also the supply of suitable pairs of transistors. I dont know how much they cost but I imagine we/I might end up buying quite a number before we/I get the correct match ? and also the £50 cost of the meter which I doubt I will ever use again.

Nice to know we are nearly there though

Small signal transistors cost pence; as you need at least 4 (two per channel), you can measure and sort into best pairs.

If you get a few spares, your chances of getting closer to the target match get better. We aren't looking for exactly 10% - anything between say 5% and 15% would do, and if the worst comes to the worst, and you used a well matched pair, the offset is small anyway.

You absolutely must have a meter to build something like this - you need one to set up the bias, and there are a bundle of other safety checks you should do before you power it up, and then before you connect speakers.

Thanks Barry.

I’m also in the process of ripping some Avondale CD’s to be sent out with each order which has a dedicated NCC200 section with plenty of good info/advice.

Hi Norm

TBH I think that Les may have more pressing tasks than sitting down to match up loads of transistors for us and also IMHO doing the work is part of the fun of owning one of these superb amps.

A little learning now will improve what you can build later and at the same time understand a little about how to fault find should things not go to plan (true longevity)so all good.

These transistors cost pennies and from memory 30 (but this can be unpredictable)or so gives two pairs so it’s not crazy expensive or unduly wasteful.

‘’£50 cost of the meter which I doubt I will ever use again.’’

Yes exactly what I thought but I was wrong. I’d never have the lovely Paradise phono without this piece of kit.

But:)

As Barry has pointed out most multimeters have a transistor test facility at a lower cost.

advertisement

Back