advertisement

Nait

The Nytech amp looks nice. Not really surprising that the vintage Nait is beaten by a modern amp that costs £3k.

Agreed. But it was the first time that I had been able to do a real A/B comparison. Some would have you believe the Nait 2 is a giant killer. It is good but has its shortcomings.

I don't have the extensive NAIT experience that some of you do. My first was a NAIT3 on home-dem, which was also my first taste of Naim, so I had no reference or baseline. The 3 bettered the 75W McLaren A-150b I had, but was replaced by a 102/180 combo, which was better again.

Fast-forward a few years and several rungs up the Naim ladder, I bought a CB NAIT2 for a second system. The main system had 52/135s. I could not resist the temptation of trying the NAIT2 in the main rig, which featured my own Ergo E-III loudspeakers at the time. The little NAIT lacked some of the finesse and drive of the 52/135s - but the music was compellingly enjoyable. In terms of musical satisfaction, I'd say the NAIT2 is 95% of the TOTL Olives.

The 52/135s are long gone, but I still have the NAIT2. It does a superb job with Yamaha NS-1000Ms.

Main system is Supernait 3, Akurate "plus" LP12 into NSat speakers. Second system is Nait 1 (red led, smooth volume knob) with 80s Planar 3 into Linn Index 2. Both lovely amps and I could happily live with either system.

Owned several Naits and the Nait 2 was sonically the best balance of them all IMO. Thing is though if you don't like the Naim sound there is little point commenting as you are not going to like any of them so all this is it a giant killer/isn't it a giant killer argument is too subjective to be worth considering over and above actually listening to them for yourselves.

I have a NC42.5 / NAP110. How would you rate NAITs in comparison? Which NAITs would you rate higher or lower and why?

I have a NC42.5 / NAP110. How would you rate NAITs in comparison? Which NAITs would you rate higher or lower and why?
Similar character but Nait 1 and 2 have an even thinner, more transparent sound. 42.5/110 are more of an all rounder. Naits are more musically coherent / easier to make sense of. One thing I particularly find about the Nait 1/2 and have not heard in other amps to the same extent is a certain joie de vivre. Seems daft to say that about any hifi equipment but that's the vibe I get. This is just how I hear things so you might come to very different conclusions. Finding matching speakers is the main challenge in my experience. Despite the pro's I no longer use the Nait 1 as a daily driver, although I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Last edited:
if you don't like the Naim sound there is little point commenting as you are not going to like any of them

I disagree, there's quite a performance difference between some of the many Nait editions.

For example the original Nait 5 - which had the shortest Nait lifetime, 3 years only(EDIT: apart from CB Nait 2) - were indeed softer, more polite sounding than for example a Nait 3.

Nait 5i were indeed more universal wider suited than say a Nait 1, many users seem to like this range which in fact is a volume controlled poweramplifier only (same with 5i - 5Si)

I disagree, there's quite a performance difference between some of the many Nait editions.

For example the original Nait 5 - which had the shortest Nait lifetime, 3 years only(EDIT: apart from CB Nait 2) - were indeed softer, more polite sounding than for example a Nait 3.

Nait 5i were indeed more universal wider suited than say a Nait 1, many users seem to like this range which in fact is a volume controlled poweramplifier only (same with 5i - 5Si)
Disagree all you like, I take little notice of your drivel anyway. HTH :rolleyes:

To me :

A Nait 1 is very similar to a 42.5/110 but with a shy bass, less "impact full" with rock music but a tad more musical with human voices.

A Supernait 1 beats both in every way but sounds a bit darker and not as lively, more "hi-fi" if I may say. Add a Hicap to the Supernait and you get everything an audiophile may ask.

A Nait 2 is very similar to a 32.5/110 but again, less impact full on heavy rock. Sweeter and softer than a Nait 1 for long listening sessions.

A 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards, with a Hicap with an Avondale TPR4 feeding an Avondaled 110 beats all of the above by a good margin.

If you own a 110, I strongly recommend you keep it and upgrade the preamp. I'm feeding mine with a Classe Audio CP35 and it’s jaw dropping.

[QUOTE="Finding matching speakers is the main challenge in my experience. [/QUOTE]

That's the challenge I face. I've used a Nait 1 for over 20 years. Currently using a pair of old B&W DM2a's which don't need much volume to sound loud (apparently 95 dB sensitivity). Wonderful higher frequencies. But, despite the 7 inch woofers, can't take contemporary bass synth music. I played a Billie Eilish track: sounded unbearably distorted. Apparently this is also a trait of old speakers like BC1's.

Hopefully the fairly recent Spendor floorstanders with a sensitivity of 88db I have on my shortlist would be better at bass.

That's the challenge I face. I've used a Nait 1 for over 20 years.

I thought the Nait was great but I wouldn't use one in my main system today. A bigger, better Naim amp doesn't sacrifice anything to the Nait and brings significant benefits. If you're very short on space fair enough.

No, that’s a trait of her music. Utter shite.

I wouldn’t go that far, though I don’t like her type of music.

My BC1s are never subjected to modern music, such as synth bass etc.
Female vocals, light orchestral music and similar.

We all like different music.
Billie Eilish and her contemporaries aren’t for me...

I wouldn’t go that far, though I don’t like her type of music.

My BC1s are never subjected to modern music, such as synth bass etc.
Female vocals, light orchestral music and similar.

We all like different music.
Billie Eilish and her contemporaries aren’t for me...
Case and point.

advertisement

Back